Pacifier at Three Years Old!

I have a daughter who is about to turn three. She is addicted to her pacifier. I would love to get rid of the pacifier. However, my significant other does not think she needs to let it go. Could someone please give me a good reason, other than b/c she is too old, why a three year old does not need a pacifier.

Thank you to all who took the time to respond. I now have some excellent ideas on how to wean my three year old off the pacifer. I can now have a solid discussion with the significant other on toddlers and pacifiers.

It could ruin teeth, impare speach to start.

What is his reason for keeping it?
Steps to help move toward not having it.
1. Only give to her when she is going to bed, or in the car.
2. Then take away for nap & car
3 Then take away for sleep.

My son bit through his, and Daycare said .. "me me " all gone.. and that was the end of it for him there.. We said the same thing at night.. 2 more nights he looked for it, we kept saying all gone.. and 4th night, I was ready to give it back .. he did not want it :)

Is she speaking in complete sentences? Full paragraphs? Can strangers understand most of what she says? If not, it is interfering with her speech development

Pacifier use for a child this age can cause speech and language disorders, dental problems and socialization problems.

Sucking on a paci too much can affect the teeth. It can also impede speech. Your significant other should ask the ped what he or she thinks. I'll bet the ped would be happy to explain why a 3 year old doesn't need a paci.

Cut a little bit off the end of the paci. In a few days, cut a little more off. By the end of the month, there should be no more paci left. Make sure ANY pacis in the house are treated the same.

It's massively bad for her teeth would be the best reason, unless your SO WANTS to pay for braces and corrections to her mouth ...

http://www.colgate.com/app/CP/US/EN/OC/Information/Articl...

It can also mess with her auditory processing ...

http://www.knowyourteeth.com/infobites/abc/article/?abc=c...

Our son never wanted one ... I count myself lucky for that.

Contact your child's dentist and find out about the cost of correcting an overbite, as well find out the cost of speech therepy then hand him the "bill."

Tell him we get rid of a 3.50 pacifier or fork over 10kplus to correct the problems this 3.50 pacifier brings.

If she is walking around with it all day, it needs to go. If she has it only to sleep, then I say let it be. If you cut the tip on the pacifier, it will no longer be enjoyable. Of course, make sure you do all. She won't be happy for a few days, but then it s over. Good luck.

What is his reason for keeping it?
2. Then take away for nap & car
3 Then take away for sleep.

consult your dentist-but you will love this:

http://www.parentsconnect.com/parenting-your-kids/baby/ca...

I get what people are saying about the pacifier being bad for teeth etc but ironically, my older one used one and I bet she was over 3 when we finally made her give it up while my younger one never used one. My younger one's overbite is just as bad and SHE'S the one who needed speech therapy. I agree with the steps Maureen outlined. We cut back on when she could use it over time and then eventually the "paci fairy" came and took them all away. It wasn't horrible as at least she'd already cut way back on the use. But like someone else said, don't worry too much. It'll go away and I think it's better than sucking her thumb which I know a 7 year old still does...

1 / 3