One of my daughters had a blocked tear duct, and it resolved on it's own over a few months, but we did have to keep an eye on it. If you wait for him to show symptoms like the ones you mentioned, those are signs of an infection, so be thankful that he hasn't had one yet. My daughter was only a few months old, and grew out of it. If you are concerned about the appointment, I would call the opthalmologist's office and tell them your concern, and ask if all of those tests are really necessary for the blocked tear duct and would it make any difference in the treatment for it, maybe they can advise you on how long to wait. Or, call your pediatrician and ask why he needs to see a specialist now, is it okay to wait awhile, maybe the dr. has a reason/concern that needs to be addressed with the specilist. Good luck.