Non-Medicated Delivery with Induction

I am currently a week and one day past my estimated due date with my first baby and have already been told by the doctor that the baby will be a healthy size (he was estimating around 8.5lbs at due date). I really am hoping for a childbirth with no epidural or pain medication. I have an appointment with my doctor today and I am afraid that he is going to want to set an induction date. Part of me wants to go ahead with an induction so he doesn't get any bigger but I have heard that it is almost unheard of to have an unmedicated delivery when induced due to the intensity of the contractions when given pitocin.

Has anyone experienced a induction unmedicated and is it really as impossible as I am hearing?

First of all I want to thank all of you for your stories and advice. It is always great to hear from all perspectives! After speaking with the doctor last Tuesday, he agreed to let me go until this Tuesday, the 28th, to see if the little guy will come on his own. I have an appointment Tuesday morning and if I am still pregnant he will schedule an induction at that time. I am doing everything possible at home to encourage labor to start and your suggestions have helped. He has definitely dropped and I have started having some sporadic contractions. I am going to continue with my plan to have a non-medicated birth and am hoping with the help of my doula and a very supportive husband, that even if induction is required I will be able to use my breathing techniques to achieve the labor and delivery I have planned for. However, I know things don't always happen the way we plan and as long as I have a healthy baby in the end, I will be more than satisfied :-) !

My daughter has done it with the last 2 deliveries and if you want to talk to her, call me at ###-###-#### and I will give you her number with her permission.

ask him about prosteglandin gel or cervidil - don't think I spelled them correctly - cervidil is vaginal. I THINK there a little less intense than pitocin. .....I had both and chose epidual after all - 2nd baby I was not medicated and no intervention.......good luck!!!

Hi C., Try not to worry...you may just have to wait and see how it goes. I worried too just not knowing what to expect. It was not bad at all. It wasn't like on TV with all the drama. I do have a high tolerence for pain and I am over 40.
Just do what's right for you.
Congratulations!

Do not get induced. The medication to induce is just a fraction of the interventions they will perform if you do.

Do not jugde by size--you never really know until they are there. My friend went two weeks past her "due" date last year, then they gave her a c-section only to find the baby was not done! He had nervous system and weight problems the first few months of his life. They said he was over 10 lbs, but he was less than six.

I have had inductions and natural births, even "late"--you do not want an induction, but if you choose it, you will want the drugs! Childbirth is hard enough without magnifying it! :)

Good luck, hang in there--they never stay in there forever! Just work on preparing for delivery--relaxation and focus is key! Enjoy massages from your husband now and during labor--it will help immensely!

I'm sure everything will be fine!

~A.

All three of my I was induced , the first and third it was just the Doctor breaking my water no pitocin because I started labor with just the breaking of the water. The second I had pitocin. I did all three unmediated except for the pitocin. Breathing and staying calm were the key points for me to keep going with out medication. It was a wonderful experience. It also helps to have a good support system if your husband may not do well in that environment you could find a friend or a Dola to help you out. I moved around as much as possible, used music and I brought movies to watch so that I could be distracted stay calm. Also if your hospital will let you labor in the shower or tub the water helps relax you. Check that out with your OB and hospital before hand. Also ask if he could just break your water and let you do some natural things to help you go into labor and see how it goes before giving pitocin.http://www.maternityacupressure.com/natural-ways-to-induc... the only one that I would recommended would be Nipple Stimulation we use that in the hospital that I work at.

Congratulations on the soon to be new addition! I was induced with all 3 of my children. However the last one I could have done without medication, but didn't want to take a chance of the doctor being in surgery when I decided I needed it. I think that was only because I knew what to expect. My first time I had no idea what to expect. Induction is not a natural labor where you phase into it. It is like BAM!!! My contractions were coming so fast and hard my husband and nurses knew I needed rest and I was only at a 3. I would say not to stress out about it and if you need the drugs there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. They are there for a reason. The first time was the hardest for me but then the next 2 induction I knew what to expect even though I really didn't want to have them I wanted to experience normal labor, but when you are late and they are big you have to. Just remember the goal is to have a happy and healthy baby!

Each one is different. I say more power to you if you can do it, but just remember the epidural is helpful and can speed things up too. Good Luck!

I think the doctor shouild go my your wishes.

C., I wish you all the best. I just had my first baby 4 months ago. I was like you wanting no medication. I was one week past my due date and the doctor wanted to induce. They thought the baby was smaller that she actually was. She was 8 lbs. 6 oz. at birth with a big head like her daddy. I was induced and the pain became so intense I was begging for the anethesiologist for an epidural. He was busy in surgery so they gave me medication I thought I would never take. It only made me drunk. Finally the anethesiologist came in when I was at an 8. He gave it to me anyways since I had been begging for it for a good while. It was the best thing ever. I pushed for 3 hours. Can't imagine doing it without the epidural.
From what I've seen on TV, I don't think it is safe to go past 2 weeks after.
You will know during the delivery what you can handle and what you can't.
(I was a size 4 before the pregnancy and had only gained weight in my belly)
Wish you the best. There is nothing like holding your new baby and cherishing the memories of your delivery day with your husband and baby.

Yes, I was induced with my third child, a 9.5 lb. boy who was 10 days early, and received no pain medicine.

However...I was not induced with pitocin. I'm a big believer in "the baby will come when it's ready", and I REALLY did not want to be induced, but for me it was either be induced or have a c-section with a 10+ pound baby. So, my doctor offered to induce me by putting me on a breast pump, which causes the uterus to contract, which put me into labor. Once I was having contractions, the doctor broke my water, and the contractions continued normally.

You might ask your doctor about this option. But whatever you decide, remember that the goal here is a healthy baby. Whether he's born naturally or via c-section, with drugs or without, it's all irrelevant in the end. Go into labor with an open mind. If going natural works for you, then great. If it doesn't, then that's fine, too. It's not a competition about how much pain you can endure. Labor is hard work. EVERY labor is different, and every person reacts diffeently to the experience.

If you want more details, you can e-mail me back privately. Let me know how it works out.

It is absolutely possible to go unmedicated and induced. I had my 2nd one just that way. Only pitocin was given, and my labor lasted about 11 hours,(which for me is a LONG labor, considering the other 5 were less than four hours each). It is possible though, if you can tough it out. My labor with pit was not too bad, as long as you are contracting, the level of the pit should be increased gradually, and it should be as natural a process as possible. I guess I had a really good doc and nurses when I was induced, because, if you ask me, the labor with the induction wasn't as bad as the labor without. I had all six of my kids without any pain meds, absolutely nothing, the last two being nearly six pound twins, the largest was 9 pounds 5 ounces, and I am 5'4" and weigh 110 pounds. It is possible, you can do it if you really set your mind to it. Good Luck!!!!!

Yes and no. I was induced 2 weeks early, keep in mind, due to high blood pressure so my body wasn't as ready as yours likely is, and I lasted for 21 hours unmedicated before I couldn't do it any more because I was so exhausted and not progressing past 4 cm. I started out with cytotec, used that for 6 hours with very minimal progress, and then used pitocin drip for the remaining 21 hours of my labor (they broke my water about 7 hours in). Once I got the epidural, I went to 10 cm within 5 hours though. Pain and fear due to the extreme amount of pain can without a doubt hold your body back, even though I never would have believed this before giving birth. I had a doula helping with my labor and regardless of what you do to get through the pain, pain is pain and you can never expect just how much labor will hurt--more for some than for others. I will say, as others have probably told you, it is a mindset--to a certain extent. Just go in there with realistic expectations. My son was born extremely healthy, had NO problem breastfeeding, and the epidural I finally received allowed my body to get through the end of the labor (and for me to finally get a nap).

On a side note, the friends that I have spoken with of mine that have had unmedicated births with an induction that would do it again have all had rrelatively short labors (less than 12 hours, not the 27-hour marathon labor I had) which makes alllllllll the difference in the world.

1 / 3