Non-dairy/non-beef Meal Ideas for Food Allergy

My 1 yr. old son has a dairy allergy. We've done fine for the past year with menu ideas, but I just tested him and it seems his allergy is still a problem. I am dreading one more year of the same meals we have been eating. I have plenty of beef meal ideas, but am lacking in the white meat department. I also am struggling to figure out lunch ideas for him (we've been doing turkey, ham, tuna, crackers, and fruit.)

To be non-dairy, that means no cheese, creams, or milk. Eggs are fine. I can do a butter substitute and if the milk isn't for flavor/creaminess/or thickening, I can use a milk substitute.

Recipes would be great, but just naming meal ideas is fine also.

My tummy thanks you in advance.

make a marinade consisting of olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper,minced jalepeno(just a few slices from a jar is easiest, and not spicy) cilantro, the juice of an orange, and the juice of 2 limes. let the chicken sit in it for about an hour but not longer than 6.
grill it...then slice it up to use in tortillas for you...but for him just cut it up really tiny.

another one...take boneless skinless chicken breast. brush dijon mustard on one side, dip in italian bread crumbs with a little basil added, then soy milk (or whatever milk substitute you use) then back in bread crumbs again, saute in olive oil until done. you'd be surprised how much flavor this has with such simple ingredients. (same thing, cut it up tiny for him, some of the breading will of course fall off...but all the flavor will be there.

i've heard that skippy makes a peanut butter that is non dairy...so peanut butter on crackers or something would be a great snack and lunch.

you can make pancakes without using regular milk too.

A.; how about pork chops, i would bake mine in a creme of mushroom sauce, we buy turkey meat and use it in spaghetti sauce, for spaghetti, turkey meat is a great substitute for beef, but its turkey, you might be able to find also turkey hot dogs, egg salad , ooo creeme of mushrrom can be made with water, but it may contain milk, either way , pork chops, or ribs, with bar b q sauce, vegges, rice , noodles, noodles with plain ole butter over them, if you said butter can be used, peanut butter and jelly, pancakes? i love pancakes for dinner, not sure about the little milk made with them, burritos with turkey meat, salad, tacos without cheese, lettuce and tomato only , goulash made again with turkey meat, puttin turkey meat in wehre the beef goes you got alot, sloppy joes, any way , have fun and have a good day , D. s

I recently found this website. allrecipes.com I believe from my few searches on there you can cater food allergies and dietary restrictions. Good luck.

This is a cake recipe we have been making in my family for generations. I think originally it was called a poor mans cake, because it has no eggs, milk, or butter in it. We have been making it as long as I can remember and it is delicious. If you want to make it as cupcakes one tip is to freeze the baked cupcakes overnight or they will be very crumbly.

WACKY CAKE
Preheat oven 350 degrees
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3 TBL cocoa

Make a hole in flour mixture and add:
6 TBL oil (vegetable oil is fine)
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup cool water
1 TBL white vinegar

Mix and pour into a square 8 x 8 ungreased pan. Bake for 25-30 min. This recipe may be doubled using a 9 x 13 pan.

Also I have also noticed a new product out and its powdered goats milk. I don't know if the allergy is to all types of milk or just cows. I just thought I'd mention it.

Do remember with many dairy products that they have coloring, prservatives, hormones, etc that could be the trigger to dairy sensitivity. Have you used organic products? Or maybe raw dairy products?
Wild caught meats are best, which you can find at Better Health or Whole Foods. Sock eye Salmon is protein, and it's what goes on a bagel with cream cheese. (lox and bagel?)
Sweet and sour shrimp is good. My youngest loves the stuff. I just wish he were around (air force) to make it for. Let me know if you want the recipe.

You can thicken almost any sauce with potato starch or tapioca starch. The trick to lump-free sauces is to mix your thickener with water 1:1 in a small jar with a tight lid, give the mixture a very good shake for about a minute. Then, add about a Tbsp or two of your hot liquid that you want thickened to the jar and shake again. (This is called tempering) Then add the entire contents of the jar to your sauce and whisk well.

Note: Tapioca starch turns very gooey when it is heated so you only want to use 1-2 tsps for 1/2 - 1 cup of sauce.

There are a lot of great recipes from Leanne Ely's Saving Dinner books. My son has 7 food intolerances (we treat them like allergies) and I make a lot of substitutions in my recipes.

I would be happy to help if you have a specific recipe you would like to try, but are not sure how to fix it for your son.

Oh, my son loves pizza! My husband makes the best tortilla, peanut butter, pepperoni and mushroom pizza you've ever had. It sounds weird, but it gives my son a chance to enjoy pizza without the sauce or cheese. =)

-C..

My family does not consume any dairy simply because we believe we don't need it or that it's good for us....we're not baby cows...we're people.

So we use rice milk, you mentioned that you can't use a milk sub. if you have to use it for flavor, creaminess or thickening... You can use it for all of those, it's just a little bit different. If you need something thickened more than the small amount that rice milk will thicken on it's own you need to add some flour or corn starch to it while it's cold and then go from there with how thick you want it.
You can make a ricotta cheese type substance that is quite good out of tofu I use that for stuffed shells and other things and we just really like tofu. Here is the website that has the recipe. http://dairyfreecooking.about.com/od/basiccheeserecipes/r...
Also you can google, non dairy sub. for sweetened condensed milk etc...
you can pretty much make anything non dairy similar to a dairy recipe, some of them take more work, but most just takes experimentation...however I have never been able to make instant pudding work, with either rice or soy milk, that's the only thing I've had trouble with which is no big deal since it's not good for you anyway.

Just give things a try that call for regular milk and see how they turn out.

Oh we also use rice cheese...the motz. is pretty good but I am not a huge fan of the cheddar flavor. (there is also soy cheese, I just prefer rice)

Hope that helps, I am sure you can do a great job.

Hello A. ~ I know how you feel. My daughter is 4 yrs old was diagnosed at 8 months w/a dairy allergy & then at 2 yrs old w/an egg allergy so we are dealing w/dairy & egg allergies still...anyway, I make a marinade w/apricot jelly & zesty italian dressing I season the chicken/pork chops with a little sea salt & cracked black pepper & bake in the oven at 350. Another good marinade is balasmic vinegar & olive oil about 1-2 tablespoons brown sugar, sea salt, & cracked black pepper. For a teriyaki marinade I use about a 1/4 cup of kikkoman soy sauce, 1/4 water (subsitute orange juice or pineapple juice), 1-2 tablespoons of brown sugar & honey. BTW these are all great on the grill in the summer time; I hate using my stove in the summer. I have tons more if you want to contact me please feel free. Hope this helps

For butter I used Fleischmann's unsalted margarine make sure that it's the Fleischmann's that is unsalted as the other one does have dairy.

oops I also forgot to mention for breadcrumbs I buy an off brand bag of Rice Krispies cereal (if found this was cheaper than the "shake n bake") you can crunch them up in a ziploc bag or put it in a food processor/chopper. I season the crumbs with a little paprika, sea salt & cracked black pepper you can do garlic salt or whatever season you like. This is great for baking or stove top frying.

1 / 3