Nephews Not Vaccinated---should I Worry?

My brother-in law and his wife do not vaccinate their kids. I do vaccinate my two children. They are 5 and 6 weeks old. My daughter is the oldest out of 7 grandkids and my son is the youngest. They are the only ones who do not vaccine in the family. Just curious if this will affect our children in any way. Thank you!

I worry the most around my 6 week old son because he has only had ONE vaccine.

AND- I get the flu vaccine every year and I still choose not to get around people with the flu because I know I can still catch it. So no, I would not want my kids around them if they did have the mumps even though they've had their vaccines.

I am 100% behind Amber on this one!!! The facts or data about younger children (particularly young babies)depending on older children and people in general being vaccinated lies in the fact that if a 7 or 8 year old kid is carrying the measles virus for example, and they haven't come down with it yet but will in a day or two -they can give the measles to the infant. The 7 year old will most likely be fine -although sick -but especially with western medicine, possible hospital care, etc., the older kid will be fine. EVEN with all of that, the infant is likely to suffer brain damage or even death if he/she gets the measles. The mumps are horribly painful and easily lead to sterilization in boys if they develop in the testes. Not to mention, because of such easy global travel and people who haven't been vaccinated against anything, sometimes the REAL nasties like polio pop up. So, yeah, I would be wary of non-vaccinated kids in close quarters with my 6 week old infant. I STILL haven't heard one decent, sensible argument for not vaccinating a child. NOT ONE!

Sorry to see you've gotten some very incorrect information from the anti-vaccination crowd.

Your 6-week-old is most definitely not vaccinated against pertussis yet, which can be fatal in an infant this age, even if "recognized and treated".

Unfortunately, these anti-vaccine folks (1) benefit from our children being vaccinated and (2) put our incompletely vaccinated children at risk.

A., you said it right. Even if your children get the vaccinations for a particular 'disease', they can still get it. Vaccinations does not ensure that you won't get the disease.

I have friends in the medical field and they don't vaccinate their children. I have friends who home birth, don't trust hospitals and doctors, but do vaccinate. Everyone has their reasons, etc.

Having said that, I don't vaccinate, but understand why some do and why some don't. (My two oldest were vaccinated as infants...had all their shots and then no more. My two youngest never had any.) As adults...my husband and I don't get the flu shot, never have and I've had the flu about 3 times in my lifetime (I'm only 40yo.). We used herbs and have gotten over whatever has come our way and quickly, I might add. We rarely get sick and have very strong immune systems.

I wouldn't let fear from an unvaccinated child keep you away. Vaccinations aren't for everyone, some people just can't have them. I was vaccinated as a child and my sister and I lived :P through many illnesses that we were vaccinated against....measles, mumps, etc.

No illness has to get bad to the point of hospitalization. If you recognize and know what to do, it's a piece of cake taking care of your children when they are sick, including yourself. Sadly, too many people don't do anything and let it go too far and then go to the doc and yes, it's worse than it actually had to be. I could give you many examples, endless examples of friends that have done this in the past. If you nip it in the bud early at the first sign...it's over before you know it. Now I get calls all the time, especially from church members for help with their sicknesses.

But with infants and as young as they are, you have to be careful about just plain and simple germs. I would be careful when they are young even around kids that are vaccinated.

Just my .02.

Mother of (5) 4 living children

I also prefer to vaccinate my son. Since your children are vaccinated you should not worry for them to get sick if they are around their cousins that are NOT vaccinated (if they carry the virus for which your children got vaccinated, that is). There are different opinions on vaccines but fact is that for a long time they helped avoid the spread and the strenghtening of common viruses that could have affected many more people and get much more violent. Many vaccines (like the one against the flu, for example) have been around for the longest time and have been tested with the highest accuracy.
Dr. Bruce Sabin (google him if you like, he has an incredible story) discovered the vaccine against the poliomielitis and made a difference for every child of the world. He vaccinated his own children before making it available for everybody else. There is a huge amount of research behind vaccines and though some people have always been somehow skeptic (I remember seeing on history channel an interview to this mother who chose NOT to vaccinate her children against polio because she was "unsure", putting her children at risk in a time when polio was spreading like crazy in the US)I personally believe that vaccines make a huge difference and many people in history wished they had them!

(Anne-Marie, are you kidding?) Little babies depend on older children getting vaccinated. They don't get all vaccines right away and aren't protected until they do get them, obviously.

Your nephews do increase the risk of your kids and other kids getting sick, of course. I'd probably take extra precautions around them.

Your children supposedly have the protection and thus you have no worry. Your brother and sister in law take the responsiblity of the risk (and the benefits) of no protection.

Another appropriate thought is that the chances of your nephews giving your children something that they would be vaccinated for is so slim it is ridiculous. Pertusis is the only possible risk for your 5 week old, one that is completely recognizable and treatable (it is a bacteria that is treatable with antibiotics if acquired).

Happy Thanksgiving, J.

I say go ahead and be with the family but have rules around the baby--no touching, always wash hands, etc. The way I see is that you come across people every day (in stores, restaurants, parks) that may or may not have been vaccinated and there's no way of you knowing. So, just be sure to have rules around the baby to prevent germ spreading. (I do vaccinate my child BTW.)

If you breastfeed, you are doing more good for your son's immunity than any vaccine could ever do. Everything you and your son come in contact with, you're body produces antibodies through breastmilk.

And as far as negative attitudes towards non-vac'ers. Well, there are crazies in every group. But you also have to realize that the entire population is not even eligible for vaccination because of medical exemptions, so there will never be "herd immunity" across the board for all disease. Nor can you force people to vaccinate that have religious objection.

Your best option is to breastfeed and watch your son for signs of illness if you think he's been exposed. You also weight the risk of exposure every time you walk out the door. However, like a muscle, the immune system does need to be 'exercised'.

I often wonder if we'd even need a shingles vaccine if we didn't vaccinate everyone for chicken pox. Much like a booster shot, exposure keeps your immunity to CP up, and I wonder if that function helped to keep the virus from showing up as shingles in older adults. Adults no longer have that exposure of their kids having chicken pox and the rate of shingles has risen, ykwim?

1 / 3