Needing Suggestions for My 21 Month Old Daughter Who Does Not Want to Eat.

I have a 21 month old little girl who just barely grazes. She no longer drinks formula. She drinks milk and juice. We can barely get her to drink milk so her pediatrican said that we could add chocolate because she is so small but not to make it a habbit. She loves cheese. She yells for cheese all of the time. I am very concerned because she eats very little. At dinner she may eat 4 little pieces of fruit, cheese of course and maybe a few bites of chicken and noodles. I just don't see how this could possibly be enough for her. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 10 month old who usually pitches a fit whenever I put him into his high chair to eat and also is not wild about eating very much (although he's not picky, really). I have found that giving him toys to play with while he's sitting there distracts him and calms him down - enough for me to feed him, and he doesn't mind at all then - lets me feed him the whole meal. I am not at all familiar with what 21 month olds are like, but maybe that would work for you. Blessings to you!

when you make her meals (lunch and dinner) melt cheese on her veggies and chicken, we have to do that sometimes. also, take her to the store with you and let her tell you what looks good to her, you know. You may even learn together what she likes. As you know so well, Ha, you must empower a women and help her feel as though she is in charge. In all serious, it may just be a phase, but you can always try.
Hope this helps!

S....I had this same problem with my little girl at about this same time. Our peditrician told us that no matter what she wouldn't starve herself. So, what we ended up doing was placing whatever meat we were eating on her plate first, or vegetable and waiting patiently for her to eat that. We made a BIG deal about her finishing that first before we gave her any cheese or fruit and seemed to work. Now our daughter is almost 3 and she always eats her meat and vegetable first on her plate. Might want to give that a try.

My daughter is 2 1/2 and is very small for her age and I have had the same problems, so much so that I have her seeing a Therapist for eating disorders. Just learned that what your daughter eats is perfect for her. Tblsp of meat,veg,dairy and fruit is all that is required. I know it does not seem like much but that is all their little bodies require. I trick my daughter into drinking milk by adding sugar free syurp like straberry and chocolate.

hi I have 3 kids and one of mine eats very little. Your have to remember that kid will never starve themselves and they will eat when they are ready so dont let it stress you. When they are teens you will wish they would stop eating so dont worry just offer her what she likes and she will eat when she gets ready to

I struggle with this, too, but we have to remember that their tummies are tiny. Some resources say 2 tablespoons of food is enough. If your pediatrician isn't concerned, try to wait it out. We have basically told our (just turned last week) 2 yr old, she has to eat something on her plate in order to get what she wants after (e.g., cheese) and that seems to work much of the time. Hope this helps.

I don't know a whole lot about this age, but I remember my sister having problems with her son "grazing" and not eating meals. One day she decided that she had had enough of him constantly begging for food, but not sitting down with them to eat meals, that she just stopped giving him food. Not all together, but she explained to him that he was not going to get food (NONE!) unless he was sitting at the table at scheduled mealtimes. Since his snacking was stopped, he didn't have "just enough food in his belly to make him not hungry" After a while, he would get hungry, and would eat a meal. He put up a fuss for the 1st few days, but she stuck to her guns and he responded positively. It's instinct to eat when you are hungry to survive. Your daughter has just "conditioned" herself to eat little bits all day long. Like I said, I don't really know anything about this, but I know it helped my sister. I hope everything goes well with you and your daughter :)

I know the grazing thing can be very unnerving because you never think the little ones are getting enough to eat. But remember, their stomachs are about the size of their little fists, so a little to us is a lot to them.

I discovered a nutritious snack that my 3 year old and my 15 month old both love - frozen corn and peas. They'll eat them right out of the freezer like candy (they're actually kinda sweet), and at least I know they're getting some veggies in them. It might be worth a try.

Go with the grazing - it's actually a healthier way for kids to eat. Just make sure that when they're snacking, you're offering a variety of foods. And trust your daughter's instincts. She'll eat when she's hungry.

S.,

Really there is no need to worry just yet. When my son was 18 months to around 3 years, all he would it were small amounts of scrambled eggs, and tomatoes. I too was concerned, he would not even drink milk, so I asked the pediatrician. He said as long as his weight did not drop more than 2-4 pounds then he would be just fine. He would eat when he was hungry. The doctor suggested instead of putting him on my schedule of eating to allow him to eat whenever he felt the need. Now that meant putting food out all the time, cheerios, cut up fruit, you name it I tried putting it out. Eventually, and as you can see it took awhile, he started eating and his health was always just fine. My pediatrician said there are some children who just don't fit the regular/normal diet plan and that doesn' t mean there is anything wrong, just that they have really different taste buds and eating times. My son is now 18 and I have to tell you that he is an extremely picky eater, but even to this day if you don't try and force the issue of food, he eats what ever is there to eat.
So don't panic and maybe just try to allow her more opportunities to eat other than when the family sits down for dinner or lunch. Let her eat small amounts all day. Just keep plenty of fluid in her.

1 / 3