Need Advice on How to Stop Rocking My Child to Sleep.

I currently still rock my 14 month old daughter to sleep. I know it's a bad habit and I really want her to learn to fall asleep on her own. I've heard of the "pick-up, put-down" method, but that seems so stressful. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

What I did was we read while we rock and after a couple of books I put her in the crib, say "night-night" and then I continued to rock while I either sang or shushed or hummed quietly to keep her calm. We actually still do this at 19 Months (Started at around 15 months) but now she falls asleep within 2-5 minutes instead of the 10-20 minutes it took at first. If she stands up or wakes up I just gently lay her back down and go back to rocking. It works good for us. I could probably leave the room now, but I use it as my "quiet time" between running around with her and doing last minute chores in the evening!

The vast majority of their lives, you will not be able to rock them because they will be too big. Rock them as long as you can because there will come a time when you will never rock them again.

I haven't got any suggestions on how to get your daughter to sleep without rocking, just wanted to say enjoy it while you can, it ends all too soon. I dearly wish mine were small enough to cuddle and rock like that again.

Just let me say that you are very lucky to have that time with your little one. My daughter is 2 1/2 and still likes to snuggle before bed (most of the time she falls asleep and I have to carry her to bed). She has grown up so fast and I always say ENJOY IT WHILE IT LASTS - SOMEDAY SHE WON'T WANT YOU TO ROCK HER. Please just enjoy every minute with her.

Totally not a big deal! We rocked our daughter to sleep until she was around 2, and then, once we decided she was maybe ready for her toddler bed, we stopped rocking and just held her. After she got used to that, we started just holding her for stories, then turn out the light, put her in bed, and sit next to her and let her hold our hand until she's asleep.... Of course, then you might get stuck like we are, holding her hand every night :-)
(We're working on the next baby step.)

I don't have much advice, just moral support!
I rocked my son to sleep until this past June (he was 23 months old!). We went on vacation and our hotel room didn't have a rocking chair so I just had to lay next to him until he fell asleep on his own.
When we got back home I decided NOT to go back to the rocking but I still lay next to him every night until he falls asleep.
Most nights I feel frustrated that I still have to lay with him in order for him to fall asleep. I try to remind myself that he's only going to be this small once and that I'm probably going to miss these moments one day.

We did a combo of Ferber and The Sleep easy solution which involves just checking on them after a set amount of time to make sure nothing is wrong(besides wanting to be rocked and not go to sleep)Ferber increases the time intervals each night. Took a week but she was younger. Good Luck. DD usually goes to sleep after a few minutes of rocking, put in crib awake without a peep.

Have you ever heard of "attatchment parenting"? Would you like your child "attatched" to you or to their bed or maybe a pacifier or a blankie? Check this technique out on line for ideas and read about how they are soothed, they say children aren' able to sooth themselves well until they are 2.5-3years old. As a younger parent I was happy to put them down and let them cry. Now I think a bit of holding isn't so bad, I am 42 years old,and have had six babies to hold. I think, they grow up so fast, why not rock them? I believe sooner or later they will fall asleep alone. Right now it probably seems like they'll want to be held forever but soon you will want to hold them and they won't want to be held! REALLY! just enjoy the 14 month-old sweetness, I love them when they sleep! Maybe the 4 year-old can rock with you.

1 / 3