Need a Good Public School in Houston Area for Dyslexic Child

My child is currently in a private school for children with learning disabilities but due me being laid-off, I may not be able to afford the tuition next year. Are there any good public schools in the Houston area for a dyslexic child? Our lease is up in August so we can pretty much move anywhere around the Houston area (i.e. Katy, The Woodlands, Clear Lake). Any help would be great. Thanks.

There is a school called Crossroads in the Galleria area. There is a school called Briarwood in the Westchase area and a school called The Joy School in the museum district. All are for children with learning differences.

I personally suggest to get out of Houston ISd and into either Katy, Cy-Fair or Klein public school Districts.
Call the school district offices and find out what their support is for dyxlexia. Also - sometimes specific campuses within a school district have special classes for kids with disabilities.
The main thing is - be in CONSTANT communication with the teachers. I do know that in public school, once the disability is documented in childs record, various concessions are made for the student depending on the disability. Good Luck.

Some friends of ours moved to Houston last summer (at the same time that we moved to Katy). Their 3rd grade daughter has moderate to severe dyslexia and had always been at a private montessori school. They live in the Spring Branch school district and she now attends Bunker Hill Elementary. At the beginnning of the year she was almost not reading at all--probably on an early first grade level. She is now reading on her grade level. My friends are not thrilled with all aspects of public school (esp. TAKS testing), but they are very happy with their decision to enroll their daughter at Bunker Hill. It is hard to believe how far she has come in less than a year while attending there. She gets special tutoring after school, but several of her friends also do so it doesn't single her out or make her feel 'different.' We live in Katy and while I don't know any children defined as special needs here, I do have a daughter in 4th grade in the GT program and I have to say the program is not as robust as the one we came from (although the regular curriculum and all the teachers are fantastic). So, I can't comment on KISD special education, but I can say that the GT program has been a disappointment. Not sure if that is any reflection on the other 'special' programs. I think it often varies from school to school even within the same district. Best of luck in your search!

Check with the Neuhaus Center on the SW Frwy.
www.neuhaus.org They train many of the teachers that deal w/ reading differences in this area. We live in Ft. Bend ISD and they once told me that FT Bend is one of the best school districts for dyslexic children. My daughter was diagnosed at the end of 2nd grade and she went to the reading specialist every day for 20-30 minutes from 3rd grade to 5th. Made a HUGE difference. She will never be able to spell- although at least now you CAN read what she writes- but her reading is on grade level.

1 / 3