My Menstrual Cycle Is Not Consistent

For the last few years my mentruation is unpredictable. I might have it every other month or sometimes I skip two months. First I thought it's kinda nice not to have on a regular basis, less hessle you know especially with little ones. But now I'm starting to think it may not such a good idea. Does/Did anyone have the same problem as me? Do/Did you take any medication to regulate menstrual cycle? Do you think taking birth control pill is the answer? Please share your thoughts with me...

There are low-dose hormones given through the pill that can be prescribed. Some do not prevent pregnancy and others do. I really like taking Yasmin because it regulates me, lightens cramps and bleeding. There's another drug called Yazmin, and that one is supposed to help with PMDD syptoms such as PMS, bloating, cycle, bleeding, etc.

C.,

You definately have to see a doctor. You don't say how old you are, but you are probably too young for menopause, since you didn't mention it. I'm 51 now, but my regular periods stopped around 38-40. Occassionally I will have some very light spotting about once a year. I've had tests for everything and I'm not in menopause and there's nothing wrong. If there were, surely I would have died by now, 13 years later. It didn't stop all at once, it just kept getting more irregular with periods farther apart until they stopped altogether.

I had the same problem for many years. It ended up that my Thyroid was not working properly. Once I got that taken care of (with a very cheap daily med) my cycles regulated themselves again - and I got pregnant after 8 years of trying!

My period has not been consistent either. I had a baby in December of 2007. Shortly after I started having my period. I had a period up until August of 2008. July was the last time I have a period. I had my tubes tied after my second daughter so Im pretty sure that I am not pregnant. I had this problem when I was younger and went to the doctor and started on a low dose of birth control to regulate it. It did help me. I hope everthing works out for you.

M. R

I think that you should talk to your doctor about this. It could mean so many different things. My cycle is not normal since I had my miscarriage. I was having it every 2 weeks and now it is every 3. I am still not sure what is causing it. My doctor thinks it might be because of my hypothyroidism. I really don't know why you would only have it every 2-3 months.

You might check into PCOS. That's why my cycle is unpredictable (usually long, like yours). I never took any meds for it, but a low Glycemic Index diet helped me lose a little weight, which helped regulate my period and get pregnant! With PCOS, this can help even if you are only a little overweight. Good luck. IMHO taking the pill for this reason will just cover a problem if there is one, and if there isn't, enjoy fewer periods.

My cycle was irregular for almost 20 years. I discussed it with my dr on and off but it was never anything to worry about. I did try to use the pill but it made me so sick that I had to stop using it. Definitely discuss it w/your OB/GYN.

I went through this my self for several years and even thought twice I was pregnant. I was jus so obese I would not ovalate. I lost a butt load of weight due to becoming diabetic and after many years 7.5 of wanting another child I conceived right away. Had regular periods while my weight was down but have now gotten menopause so no tother issues with periods.

1 / 3