My Cat Is Very Sick and We Can't Spend the Money to Take Her to the Vet!

I live in Austin. Does anyone know of a VERY affordable vet. She has had kidney problems for the last 3 years and every year we go through this. She stops eating and drinking. The vet does an xray, ultrasound, fluids and antibiotics and she's better in 24 hours. The problem is, we can't spend another $1000 to do this all over again. Does anyone know of an animal trustees like service that deals with sick pets other than wellness kind of visits. She's a beautiful American Shorthair who is only 6 years old and the greatest cat on earth. Even cat hatters love her! Our 4 year old son carries her around everywhere and calls her his baby. I hate to admit this but our sick one is the favorite pet around here. Does anyone have any ideas. I don't think she has much more than 48 hours w/o treatment. I can't bare the thought of putting her down. Thanks. :(

I'd like to thank all of you for your advice. I ended up calling her vet and he agreed to prescribe her the same antibiotics as last time and showed me how to give her IV fluids (w/o all kinds of tests). A few days later, she was doing SO much better! She's still not 100% but almost there. Thanks again!!

If I were in your situation (and I have 3 cats, one who died last year from kidney failure, so I have been there) I would take the cat to the Animal Emergency Clinic in Round Rock. Their policy is they charge you a flat fee of around $75 if I remember correctly, they see and diagnose your cat, and any treatment after that is up to you. They will not push you to do something you can't afford. I would explain to them that you have been through this before with this cat and what you need is antibiotics, and you can't afford expensive diagnostic tests. Good luck!

I am sorry to hear your pain. It would seem to me that the vet would know that it is the same situation as before and be willing to provide the meds she needs. Perhaps only taking a simple blood test, not all the comprehensive diagnostic test. I would at least ask your vet, you having nothing to lose by asking. We have 2 kids (11 and 6) and have always had at least 3 pets in our house even for many years before the kids. Pets are part of our family and they are expensive. I bet your vet will understand the position that your in. Good Luck!!
CJ

Balcones Animal Hospital off of McNeil Road inbetween 183 and Parmer. Dr. James Wood. Very affordable care and I know they take strays, so they are not entirely money focused. ###-###-####

Good luck with your little furry family member!

Hi B., I am sorry that you are having a hard time with your cat. I had a golden that became very sick last year (he injested a rope toy, required emergency surgery, developed complications and stayed in ICU for 12 days). It broke the bank. I payed for it, and will be for some time. He was my baby and had been with me for 9yrs. Unfortunately, all my cash (or should I say credit) only bought me another year and he died unexpectedly while playing ball with me. If you want to get your cat through another episode, you can ask to give oral antibiotics, subcutaneous fluids (which you can do at home and its very easy) and opt only for one, not both of the ultrasound or xray. Actually, they could probably do some lab work (bmp, cbc) and tell you if she is having kidney issues. You may not even need the xray or ultrasound. The one issue is that if you change vets, its like starting over. So get your records and have them faxed or take them with you to the appt. I have visited 2 vets in Austin. I typically go to Parmer Lane pet hospital. I like both vets. I did visit cedar park animal hospital on Bell, and it was cheaper than Parmer lane. You can get estimates before you agree to services (and I suggest you do) and let the vet know that you have a maximum amount of money that you can spend. Plus, find out what the long term outcome of your pets illness is. I can't say that I wouldn't have spent all the money to save my dog if I had known that I would only get one more year. But it would have been nice to have had the option. If you need any more info, email me.

Our dear little beagle experienced kidney failure from the tainted pet food a few years back. My son & I learned to give her subcutaneous fluids that flushed her kidneys. It was a bit challenging to learn at first but very "do-able". You'll probably need the assistance of an adult friend or your hubby. Not expensive either. Just ask your vet to sell you the fluids and to show you how. If you have a friend who is a nurse or doctor, they could probably help you get the fluids cheap.

B.,
I had to let you know about the vet we used here in Austin a few times when our animals were sick. South Congress Veterinary Clinic at 3300 South Congress. Their # is ###-###-####. It's basic service, no frills or fancy office but I paid between $35.00-$45.00 for services & an office visit.
Good luck! It's worth a try(be patient) we waited a while but the price was worth it.

www.akashastudios.com

I'm really really sorry you and your family are in this situation.

We had to put our cat down. It broke my heart. We sustained her for 5 years... The required vet costs, IV supplies, prescription medicine were ever increasing to treat her kidney problems, then inner ear tumors, followed by thyroid medication... and the whole time we kept trying to boost her weight only to watch her weight fall to 5 pounds...

Unfortunately you already know that she has required this treatment previously and you know she will require it again in the future... This is not a 1 time fix. And (speaking from personal experience) as her condition persists, the required amount of medical intervention will become more and more frequent. Its not even a once a year thing.

If she is currently suffering, if her quality of life is no longer stable, if the reality is that her medical costs are out-of-reach, then the most humane decision is to put her down because to let her die naturally of kidney failure is cruel. She'll go through a lot of pain. Let your love for her give her a better ending than that.

I'm sorry. I truly don't mean to sound cold hearted. I know, its not the answer you want to hear.

B.,
We also went through this with out beloved cat. Seems the best ones get this. I think I would call your old vet who knows the drill. Explain that you now have another child, cannot pay for the full freight and ask if they would consider just prescribing the antibiotics and the fluids. They do not want to lose you as a client. You would have to say that if things don't go as planned, you will take full responsibility. This way, you get the best results for the least money. I am surprised that there have been only episodic bouts with your cat. Ours was on fluids for months before he died and he had never had any bouts prior to that. Perhaps just get the blood test BUN to confirm that it is his kidneys and perhaps a CBC to see if there is an infection.
I am so sorry. This was hard for us and we didn't have to consider two little ones in the midst of it all so I can imagine how hard this is for you.

1 / 3