My 4 Yr Old Poked Herself in the Forehead with a Sharp Pencil :-(

My 4 yr old daughter was playing on the sofa and there happened to be a sharpened pencil hiding between the cushions. Somehow, it poked her in the forehead just to the side of her eyebrow. It didn't seem to hurt her, because she didn't tell anyone about it until she was asked what the spot was, and I am so grateful and relieved that it was not in her eye. But I am worried about it because the spot is black, like there is still pencil lead in there. I pressed on it, the way you would a blackhead, and I can't get anything to come out of it. I washed it well with soap and warm/hot water but it doesn't change the look of it.

Does anyone know how to tell if the lead is still in there and if it is, how do I get it out? I need some direction here, as we are currently without healthcare and I can't really afford to go to an urgent care.

Thanks to everyone for all the wonderful replies! I knew there wasn't actual lead in pencils anymore, but that didn't keep me from being paranoid about it all afternoon! :-)

I have a family friend who is a nurse, so I had her look at it last night. We are not certain whether there is or isn't a tiny piece still in the skin, but she seemed fairly sure if there was, that it would work its way out. I will be picking up some of the Hyland's Silicea today, and we are washing with hydrogen peroxide, and coating with neosporin to fight infection. It doesn't seem to bother her, it's more me worrying for the infection.

The placement was done by angels, since it is at the temple end of her left eyebrow and an inch difference would have had it in her eye, and an inch in the other it may have pierced her temple. If there is a permanent mark, it won't be disfiguring, at least. It could easily be a freckle or a beauty mark.

I was greatly comforted by the many replies and complete lack of serious injury in any of them! Thanks for all your input!

Hi V.,
I poked myself in the leg with a pencil in 3rd Grade (1971) and I still have the spot on my leg almost 40 years later. It has never been a problem. There is no lead in pencils anymore - it is graphite. You can show it to the doctor if it bugs you but it won't cause any problems.

Hope this helps!

Wow!! I didn't realize that I wasn't the only one that had "The Spot"! I'm 51 and got mine when I was in 8th grade math. A boy stabbed me in the top of my hand with his pencil. I'm looking at it right now and cracking up! Thanks for a great laugh. I needed it.

I'm reading the rest of the responses and laughing! I had no idea it was this common! This happened to me in third grade, someone was swinging their arm with a pencil in their hand and stabbed me in the hand (we're, what, 8 in 3rd grade?) I'm 43 now and I still have a graphite dot at the base of my left thumb and I'm just fine. [twitch.....twitch]

Hey, it missed her eye right? A miss is as good as a mile.

If you make between around 4500 and 5500 a month, you should be able to qualify for Healthy Families and only have to pay $14.00 a month for healthcare. If you make less, you can qualify for Medi-Cal or Low-Cost Medi-Cal. With regard to the lead, maybe a needle, like when you have to get a splinter out. Wash the area well with rubbing alcohol. If you cannot get it out, you need to take her to the doctor. There are also free clinics in almost every city. Call the County Helth Services Office in your area.

Hi V.,

Hope this helps!

I am not an expert or anything, but if it were me I would just put a bit of Neosporin (?spelling) or peroxide on it to make sure it doesn't get infected. Other than I don't think there is much you can do. If there is still something in there, the body will push it out if it needs to come out (even most splinters eventually come out on their own - people are just not usually patient enough to wait it out since it hurts!) Good luck!

Okay, I Googled it and found this link...not sure if it helps...but, I was a kid when I got a piece of pencil lead stuck under the skin on my hand and not even my pediatrician could get it out. So, it's still there and I can still see it.

Good Luck!!

http://www.pediatricassociates.com/pa_pt1/hhg/forbskin.htm

Call a homeopathic pharmacy and ask them about Hyland's Silicea #12. This remedy helps expel things from the body. I don't know if it would work but worth a phone call. Also check out epsom salt.
D. Merlin
Mother/author
www.victoryoveradhd.com

the spot might be bruised so there might not be anything in there to begin with. I would just do the whole "wait and watch" thing for now, since you're without health care. Even is there is some pencil lead in there, its harmless in of itself since its really only graphite. Just watch to see if the sight starts to look infected (turns red, gets hot to the touch, is sore to the touch, ect).

And yes, thank goodness it wasn't her eye!
best wishes

When this happened to my older son years ago I called poison control about the lead question. I would recommend having the number handy & in your cell 800-222-1222. I've needed it a few times away from home. It was nice to have an explanation about why the mark remained.

Oh, not to worry, she's just given herself a beauty mark! I have one in my hip from when I jumped up & slid over in the front seat of our VW Bus as a kid. I haven't looked in who knows how long to see if it is still there but last I looked, it was a nice blue dot. A girl in high school had such a blue spot perfectly placed on her face. (Some people will actually pay to have beauty marks!)

1 / 3