My 10 Month Son Hasn't Gone Pee in 48 Hours

I took my request off. Please see the "What Happened" section. My son is ok and has had regular wet diapers since Thursday morning. Thanks again for all the great advice and suggestions!

THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT ADVICE! Just wanted to update you all on my son. First, he is fine. He went pee Thursday morning and has had regular wet diapers throughout the day and night. I had taken him to the doctor on Wednesday after he hadn't gone and the doctor said he was not dehydrated. He was also tested for the flu and RSV and both test came back negative. My Dr suggested to follow up next day if he didn't pee. Everything seems to be back to normal. I wasn't sure if the rocefin shots or decongestion meds could have this side effect. Again, I would like to let you all know that I appreciate all your thoughts and concern. This is a great site to ask and great advice!

I would bypass the doctor at this point & go straight to the ER. Not to sound the alarm or anything, but they would be more equipped to run the needed tests to see what is wrong.....but go. Better safe then sorry. trust me, I have had some experiences w/ER's when my son was a baby, and if I felt that something was wrong - it always was. Moms' know best, better then doctors, if something is wrong w/their kids.

I suggest you find a new doctor. You need to take him
to a ear nose and throat specialist and let them put tubes
in his ear and then his ear will be able to drain. I had
tubes in 3 of my 4 children ears and never had any other problem with colds, soar throats or ear infections. I never heard of a shot for an ear infection.

I would continue to call your pediatrician. If they dont give you a response that you are happy with, call a different one for another opinion. Or take your son to the ER. I dont think it's normal for anybody not to pee for 48 hrs. Please keep us posted on how he is doing...
Heather

You need to see his pedi asap... he could be dehydrated which is dangerous for a 10month old.

Glad everything is ok. This happened one time to my 2nd son and his pedi told me to give him the clear gatorade. We have found that works better than the pedalyte. The pedalyte gave my boys the runs and that does not help with dyhydration issues.

You are right to be concerned. If he still has a soft spot on his head, you can gently feel to see if it seems to dip in a little bit...that's another trick to tell if a baby is dehydrated. I would try to give him some extra fluid in the form of a bottle of pedialyte in addition to the formula/breastmilk he usually gets. But you really need to be talking to your doctor about this as well....it could lead to more serious problems if not addressed. Especially being this is a Friday, please call the doctor TODAY before he goes home for the weekend, as whoever is covering for him over the weekend may not know your baby and all the details of your particular case. So please get off the computer and call the office now and tell them what you are telling us! They will probably want you to bring the baby in so they can check him out.

TAKE HIM TO THE DOCTOR! Sorry, I don't mean to be rude....but instead of soliciting advice on the internet, take your child to the pediatrician, or the emergency room. The general rule is that if they haven't not gone pee within 8 hours it warrants a trip to the emergency room! Take him right away!

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

It could be something totally differant but my daughter did this when she was just under 2 & I took her in & she had a urinary track infection. Of course he is a boy, but it can still happen. If he is drinking enough to pee, I would definately have the doctors check him out b/c if it has been 2 days, I am suprised they haven't wanted to see him yet b/c that is not normal.

Get a competent pediatrician. This is serious. Where are you located? let us know so we can recommend a good doctor.

1 / 3