Mumps???

My 5 yr old son woke up today complaining that his ear and cheek hurt. Upon examination I saw that the area just below his ear was a little red, swollen and very painful to the touch. I was thinking maybe an ear infection or that he got bit by something. I took him to the pediatric urgent care where they diagnosed him with mumps. Out of my three kids, he is the only one who HAS had the MMR shot. I am wondering if anyone has ever gone through or heard of this? I am hoping his case will be mild since he has had the shot but of course I start reading all of these "rare complications" on the internet that freak me out, especially since I have two younger un-vaccinated children as well. He has no fever, no cold symptoms... the only symptom is that the spot on his face hurts when he eats or when it is touched. I just keep getting this weird feeling that it is something other than mumps... it just seems so odd. He has been to the dentist very recently and has no cavities so it isn't a problem with his teeth. Anyone have any insight??

ETA - To the poster who spoke of me "depriving my other kids of protection," one is an infant who would not have received the shot yet, and my other daughter, who is now almost 4, fell asleep immediately after receiving a round of shots and could not be woken up for nearly 20 minutes. According to the VAERS system this is considered a very rare and serious reaction to a vaccine and she will NOT be getting any more shots other than the tetanus bootser. I am sorry if people think of that as "irresponsible" but it is my choice.

Hey R.!

I'm one of the "crazy, irresponsible, selfish" moms who chooses to not vaccinate my son. I've read too much information, not just online (in fact, very LITTLE of what I know comes from online sources) but also from doctors, the PDR, the NHO, the CDC and the Useless FDA! Enough about that. I'm sorry that your lil girl had to go through that..
To answer your questions... YES it is ENTIRELY possible for your son to have mumps despite having the vaccine. Vaccines do NOT convey immunity. In fact, the problem is that the vaccines are useless against the mutating viruses. All vaccines were created at the time when the illnesses were already on their way out. They are all very dangerous and have serious complications. Mumps can be treated... and he will survive and the greatest thing... he will have LIFETIME immunity! He won't get it again. (Unless it's a very mild case which the vaccines sometimes produce... not a good thing because then he can get it again).
I have a great book called "The Sanctity of Human Blood" by Dr Tim O'Shea. Read it! He quotes the very people who create vaccines and market them. Also, he cites the PDR... crack open that book and I promise you that you will never think twice about vaccinating or not.
I'm sorry that you were attacked by someone else... I get it often so I know what it feels like. Most of the time I feel like asking that parent who is doing the attacking How SHE could risk killing her child to only possibly prevent an illness that is easily treated...
Feel free to email me if you need any encouragement or have any questions. :)

www.HolisticWellnessAndNutrition.webs.com

Hi R.,

This could be bacterial parotitis, rather than viral (mumps). The MMR vaccine confers immunity in 99.7% of recipients after the second dose has been given, so there is a very, very, small chance that your son did not develop immunity, but it's not very likely.

The doctor should check further. A white blood cell count would be in order. Also, if your son has any purulent (pus-like) drainage inthe back of his throat, that should be cultured. One of the chief causes of bacterial parotitis is infection with Staph. aureus, which is a normal resident in the throat but can get out of control on occassion. Antibiotics are warrented, especially since untreatedc Staph infections have a high risk of leading to severe sepsis or septic shock -- something you definitely do NOT want to deal with!

If you want to watch carefully for a day or so I think that should be OK, but I am not an MD, so please do not consider this medical advice, only what I would do as a Mom in your situation (and I would definitely trust my gut feeling, as you are doing now!). I would high-tail it back to the doctor if any sign of fever develops, if your son's pulse starts racing or if he begins breathing rapidly. These symptoms of the Systemic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (SIRS) which, in combination with a confirmed or suspected infection, defines sepsis and requires immediate treatment.

As for not vaccinating your other two children -- you are right on the money. While I cannot support this theory as yet (I need to do a full literature review to see what, if anything, is out there), I'm starting to think that the type of severe reactions experienced by the very, very small percentage of children who have them is an over-response of the natural immune cytokine system that controls the inflammatory response. This is the response that is invoked in sepsis and there are a few papers circulating indicating that there may be a genetic component to this response -- that is, that some people inherit a predisposition to overstimulation of the cytokine system. If this really is the case, I would be even more concerned that whatever is going on with your son could progress since he would share a similar (although not identical) genetic make up to the child who suffered an extreme response to vaccination.

I want to stress to you R. that these are purely my own thoughts and hypothesis based upon the extensive research that I have been doing on the sepsis continuum over the last few months. I am not an expert in this field by any means -- especially not on the clinical level.

Could it be mastoiditis?

Mastoiditis is an infection of the bony air cells in the mastoid bone, located just behind the ear. It is rarely seen today because of the use of antibiotics to treat ear infections.

A friend's son had this (very rare). I would check with another doctor to rule this out ASAP. Good luck to you! I hope he is well soon!

Definitely recommend listening to the other moms who said get a second opinion from your own pediatrician. Mumps are extrememly rare, and your son would be an even rarer case since he's been vaccinated.
My son gets huge swollen lymph nodes when he is fighting ear or other respiratory infections, he just had one 2 weeks ago on his cheek at the jaw line. It went away in about one week without antibiotics.

I would agree with getting a second opinion. Could it be a swollen lymphnode? I have had that happen a couple times, and they are a big swollen lump that is very painful to the touch. Seems odd the mumps would only be in that one area. I hope you figure it out!
Best regards,

Probably an infection in his parotid gland:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parotid_gland

Unfortunately, he will probably require a course of antibiotics to heal. Try not to give him dairy or sugar while he has the infection, it will aggravate the condition. Also, if he eats anything sour, it will cause him much discomfort.

I was a child with chronic infections in the parotid gland on my right side. Every time we went to the doctor, they thought it was mumps. These infections became a pretty normal part of my life, unfortunately, but I outgrew them by the age of 10. I was a somewhat premature baby and the theory that one doctor had was that my parotid gland was actually underdeveloped and would clog easily -- I would eventually outgrow it. (That did happen, so presumably he was correct.)

You can gently rub the area in circular motions and then press to release some of the pus from the infection. (The pus will release through a small opening in your son's inner check.) That will temporarily relieve some of the pressure. Also, a heating pad or hot-pack applied to the area will greatly relieve the pain.

Good for you for knowing your child does not have mumps. Hope he feels much better soon.

Do you have a cat? If you do he may have cat scratch fever. That's right, it is not just a Ted Nugent song! I have had it and my ex had it and was misdiagnosed with lymphoma! It will go away on it's own.

As for the not getting shots, that is totally up to you and I applaud you for standing up for what you want. Remember to let your kids get dirty and give them a good immunity boosting supplement.

I wasn't planning on responding, but hearing other Moms say mumps was not a big deal upset me. My mother lost her hearing to mumps, and her sister was in the hospital for weeks. I don't know if your child has mumps, and if there's a blood test to make sure, I would get it along with a 2nd opinion. Not everyone has a "fun" time with it, for some it is absolutely terrible

1 / 3