Moving to Chicago

My husband and I will be moving to the Chicago area in the fall. I am from Texas and currently have a swimming pool in my back yard, so I am sure to be in for a change of lifestyles! Anyway, could anyone recommend an area or neighborhood that is family friendly (for parents in their forties) and still easy for my husband to commute downtown? Any advice will be appreciated!

Thanks for all of the advice. We are not moving until the fall, so please keep the neighborhood suggestions coming!

I know you've got tons of responses but I just wanted to say that I am from TX too and I absolutely love it here (after two years: one "easy" winter and one more "normal" a.k.a. ridiculously cold and long one! but I made it and you will too)... and I wanted to give yet another vote for Oak Park. We absolutely love it. Good luck and feel free to get in touch with any questions. --Steph

D. -

I live in Chicago's Lincoln Square neighborhood with my husband and 20-month-old son. We love the neighborhood because it is so family friendly and public transportation really is very close to most parts of the area. Welcome to the city and good luck!

C. L

I live in West Ridge, also known as West Rogers Park. Lovely community with transportation, diversity and lovely parks, not far from the Lake and downtown.

A.

Hi! First, welcome to Chicago! It will definitely be a big change for you weather wise, at least half of the year, but this is a great city. You will love it!

As for neighborhoods, I've been living in the city for the past 6 years (my husband for the past 10). We loved our condo until our child was born. As a result, we just recently moved from the South Loop to an area called Bridgeport. We are essentially at Halsted/31st St. My husband's work is in the city (I am a SAHM) and we wanted a home with a yard someplace close that would limit his commuting time. Plus we wanted all of the benefits of the So. Loop area we were leaving. Brideport was the answer!

Initially when we started looking and our broker recommended here, we were not completely interested. Bridgeport does have somewhat of a "blue collar" reputation. But once we started investigating it, we learned that all of this is changing. Over the last 10 years, the So. Loop has gone through some serious renovations to become the greatest Lakefront neighborhood in the city. What was once a run down area is now becoming over-saturated with development. As a result, developers are moving south to its nextdoor neighbor -Bridgeport.

I will say this area is still considered up-and-coming, but there is a ton of development slated here. Retail areas are being revamped and old buildings and houses are being torn down and rebuilt. There is new construction on every street. We couldn't believe the beautiful homes that were to be found here. It is not like the Bridgeport of yesterday. We live in a fabulous new construction home across the street from a beautiful church. And we have a yard - hooray! Something that is not easy to find in the city but seemed to be found here more than anywhere else that we looked.

We took several months to make our choice and looked at every neighborhood you can think of, from the So. Loop to Bucktown, Wicker Park, Lincoln Park, Ukranian Village...you name it. In the end, we couldn't deny that Bridgeport had everything we wanted and more. No wonder tons of young families like ours are moving here! And with all the development under way and slated for the future, we've been told to expect our home value to increase anywhere from 25-50% in the next 7-10 years. We were sold! And now we are living happily in a beautiful home with a neighborhood feel, church across the street, parks close by, and families everywhere. All this and we are only 10 minutes from downtown. You can't beat it!

Hope this helps! Good luck with the move! And feel free to let me know if you'd like any further info on the city or its neighborhoods.

D.-

Welcome to Chicago! It will be a big adjustment at first, but your son is going to love it here, with all the parks, museums, the aqaurium, the shows, plays, zoos. There will be lots to do. If you are up for an older community with charm and older homes you can't beat Oak Park. It is only a 25 minute commute into the loop (downtown). We moved there from the city 2 years ago and the kids love it. Lots of kids and families and the schools are great.

If you want new construction any of the suburbs West and Northwest are great. Your husband can take METRA trains downtown, but he communte might be an 45 minutes to an hour.

Good luck !

Hi D.,

We live in Skokie. The commute is easy. The community is wonderfully diverse. The park district has won many national awards for excellence. The services are great (2-day/week garbage pick-up, recycling, snow removal, sidewalk plowing, etc..). The taxes are much lower than Evanston (another great and popular town just east of us). We are a ten-minute drive to the lakefront. The community pools are excellent. Skokie schools are top notch-- some of the schools are part of Evanston's district 65 (as is the ones my children attend, Walker and Chute schools) and these schools are excellent as well.

There are many outstanding communities around Chicago and many outstanding neighborhoods in Chicago. Anywhere you look you'll be choosing between good, good and good!

Best of Luck!

My family and I live in the Beverly/Morgan Park Area. I would have to agree with one of the previous responders, the neighborhood is in the city but it has a suburban feel. I love the area and my neighbors are great. We are in walking distance to the Metra train for transportation to the downtown area. You can check out www.bapa.org for more info about the community. Good Luck!

D. -

C. L

Hi D.,

We live in Roscoe Village/West Lakeview area (Ashland & Addison). It's about a mile away from Wrigley Field. We love it. We do live in an apartment because the homes are sooo expensive and we cannot afford it. The schools, from what I understand (my daughter is only 18 months), are great. We haven't gotten to that point yet. I work in the Loop and take the Brown Line in. It's about 15 minutes from the Addison stop to the Merchandise Mart. I am home on Friday's and cannot beleive all the babies I see throughout the day. I think it's a great spot. I see allot of homes for sale as well.

Good luck...welcome to the Windy City. Make sure you buy a nice heavy winter coat :D Chicago is awesome though!!! You can still have a pool, just not use it as often.

The prefect area for your family are either Oak Park, River Forest, or Lombard. From the Oak Park/ River Forest area, your husband can commute downtown on the Ell or Metra trains. The Ell trian is far less expensive but the Metra trains are more relaxing. The only ways to commute downtown are via car or the Metra train from Lombard.

Both train stations have ample parking lots.

All three areas are somewhat pricy but it is worth every penny. :)

I hope this helps.

Many many neighborhoods are family friendly. I am on the southside, and Hyde Park seems to be one of the most family friendly and easily accessible to downtown. It is also a bit more expensive than some (for buying), but it's worth looking into.

1 / 3