Movies (non-Disney) for Young Teen Girls

Last weekend my daughter was sick, so I headed over to the local video store to find a movie or two that we could watch together. I wanted something we haven't seen several times. I just couldn't seem to find anything. I got "Come Away Home", it was a very good movie.

Can anyone recommend any movies they like to watch with their kids? Are there any movies or tv shows on dvd that you remember watching as a kid that you'd like to share with your daughters? Note: we already own or have seen all the Disney movies and we've been watching "Little House on the Prarie". I'm planning on joining Netflix or Blockbuster this fall.

I don't know if you've ruled out Pixar along with Disney, or if you're just tired of animated films in general, but I love the Incredibles - strong female characters, not like every princess movie where the girl has to be beautiful and has to be saved by the prince. Also, although this may be a little old for them, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. if you want to find out more on the appropriateness of a movie's content before you rent it, search parent previews and they'll grade the movie on content and let you know potential "dealbreakers", things you might feel should be completely off-limits.
http://www.parentpreviews.com/movie-reviews/crouching-tig...

Try the Love Comes Softly series...like little house on the prairie with Katherine Heigel before she got famous.

I really liked the Drew Barrymore version of Cinderella -- "Ever After". She is a strong woman and there is some fun history in it (the Mona Lisa and such). I'm 31, but my video shelf is stocked with lilo & Stitch, The Sound of Music, and Anastasia (animated).

hi L.!

here are some of my favorites that i think are appropriate for girls that age; but you might not easily find them in local video places. have you considered Netflix? it's very cheap and they have a much wider variety of movies.

Whale Rider
Seabiscuit
March of the Penguins
ET

also if you use nextflix it automatically reccommends movies it think are in the same zone as what you've liked in the past; very helpful!

good luck!

Hi L., I have 3 daughters who are now in their 20's. We have 2 favorite movies which we have been watching since they were in their teens. We watch them even until now - at least twice a year if not more. One is "While You Were Sleeping" which is a Sandra Bullock film. And the other is one is "Return to Me." Of course, just like any other PG movie, any lines or scenes you feel is inappropriate should be mentioned to be inappropriate while watching any movie - that way, the proper moral criteria can be imparted to the our kids. And together with my 2 boys, we all love "The Princess Bride" with Mandy Patinkin. There are more out there. Wish I had all the time in the world to rattle them off here. Good luck!

Adisa had a lot of really greta suggestions - almost ALL of my favorites from when I was younger *sigh*

Anyway - some more off the beaten track sugegstions for a little younger audience may be:

Little Princess (one of my favorites!)
Neverending Story
ET
The Sound of Music
Princess Diaries
Pollyanna
Savanna Smiles
Labyrinth
The Witches
The original Parent Trap
Tuck Everlasting
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
Honey I Shrunk the Kids
Homeward Bound
Adventures of Milo and Otis
Chicken Run

Also - a very short lived TV show finally out on DVD is My So Called Life

How about exposing the girls to a bit of International cinema?

The movies below are true masterpieces, very entertaining and have great moral messages….and get ready to cry a bit, the stories are just beautiful!

“Children of Heaven” is a 1997 Iranian film. It was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film in 1998. It deals with a brother and sister and their adventures over a lost pair of shoes. My favorite foreign movie ever. Perfect to teach young people about other cultures and the effects of poverty.

“The Story of Qiu Ju” (1992) by Zhang Yimou. The tale of a Chinese peasant teen dealing with bureaucracy while looking for a young boy in a large city. Won the Golden Lion for Best Picture at the 1992 Venice International Film Festival. Cute and funny and also very interesting in its description of Chinese life.

“Milo and Otis”. Japanese movie full of real baby animals. Milo gets lost and Otis goes in his search. Narrated by Dudley Moore. Absolutely adorable movie for kids 2 to 100!

In a couple of years try watching: "Women in the verge of a nervous breakdown" by Almodovar (Spain). Comedy of errors totally wacky. Antonio Banderas is in it as a young man.

As for American movies, nobody mentioned already “Adventures in Babysitting” 1987. It’s an American comedy full of adventure and crazy situations appropriate for your girls age.

Hi L.

I'm not sure if these two are Disney movies but I really loved Sound of Music and Mary Poppins when I was growing up. In fact I would love to own copies but I just can't find them anywhere.

Hope this helps T.

Here are some of our family favorites:

The Ultimate Gift
Five People you Meet in Heaven
the original Swiss Family Robinson
anything with Errol Flynn
Citizen Kane
Gone With The Wind (long but worth it)
Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont
Movie Musicals such as Anchors Away, Singing in the Rain, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, anything with Gene Kelly or Fred Astaire
The Sting (Redford & Newman)
Snow White, made in 2000 with Miranda Richardson as the Evil Queen
Try something from the Marx Brothers too, if you're into old comedies. A Night at the Opera, Duck Soup might be a good place to start. They did formula movies, so after two or three, they seem to be reworking a theme.

My kids are 13, 11, 9 and 6 so most of these would likely work for your young ladies!

R.

Hmm...I used to love Wonder Woman and the Bionic Women..dating my age..lol.

13 Going on 30, Anything from the Hallmark Channel, and Enchanted happens to be my favorites.

I guess it depends on what type of messge you intend to send to your daughters about women and how they are portrayed.

Nanc

HI L.,
The Anne of Green Gables series is awesome. My daughter and I loved watching them even when she was in high school.
Another great movie is the sisterhood of the traveling pants and now the sequel is out but not yet on DVD.
And if you havn't seen the Bee movie that is good too.

1 / 3