August 31, 2010,
C.B. asks from Palmdale, CA on August 31, 2010
Milk Allergy - Palmdale,CA
My daughter has a milk allergy. So I am getting used to reading labels and making sure she does not eat anything with milk. My question is when a product has no milk in the ingredients but it says processed in a facility with milk etc. do I need to avoid that too? Thanks!
S.C. answers from Minneapolis on August 31, 2010
I'd talk with a physician about it. My son had a diary sensitivity, which isn't really an allergy (I had the same thing too, and we both out grew it at about 3-4 years). He was fine with things processed in a facility that also processes milk products.
J.W. answers from Chicago on August 31, 2010
It really does depend on how allergic she is. Are you also avoiding lactic acid, casein and whey? Does she get hives or go into anaphylactic shock when exposed to dairy? Then I would say you should avoid the products made in the facilities that process milk too. Talk to your doctor, though, just to make sure. Good luck!
Moms recommend the following deals from Mamapedia:
$ 21 - 6-Month Subscription for Tablet Learning Apps, 50% Off
$ 15 - Personalized Puzzles, 50% Off
$ 15 - Personalized Santa is Coming to My House Storybook, 40% Off
$ 28 - Four 4-Packs of Customizable Photo Coasters, 42% Off
$ 29 - 12-Months Unlimited Access to Streaming Independent Films, 31% Off
$ 65 - Fresh-Cut 6'-7' Fraser Fir Christmas Tree, 59% Off
$ 75 - Fresh-Cut 7'-8' Fraser Fir Christmas Tree, 58% Off
$ 19 - 6-Months Unlimited Access to Streaming Independent Films, 55% Off
$ 55 - Fresh-Cut 5'-6' Fraser Fir Christmas Tree, 60% Off
R.K. answers from Boston on August 31, 2010
It depends on how severe her reaction is.
M.G. answers from Seattle on August 31, 2010
It depends on how severe her allergy is, you should contact her pediatrician to discuss this.
K.C. answers from Los Angeles on August 31, 2010
It really depends on your daughter. My son, who is very highly allergic to milk and reacts if he has even 1-2 bites of something with milk in it, does not have a problem with things processed in the same facility or on shared equipment.
Generally, the proteins in milk that kids are allergic to do not transfer through the air the same way nut proteins do. In most cases, shared facilities and/or equipment will not cause a reaction for a milk allergy.
I'd consult with your doctor to be sure, or at least try only a very small amount the first time you give something that says that on the label.