Measuring Ahead and Delivering Earlier?

Hi ladies! I had my latest doctor's appointment on Friday. I was 33 weeks and 5 days, however I measured at 36 weeks. My doctor said that obviously this baby will be a big one since he continues to measure over 2 weeks ahead at every visit. I asked him if this meant I will deliver early and he said he is honestly unsure, I've already had complications with this pregnancy so I am seeing a high risk specialist. He said hopefully he will stay in there until at least 37 weeks. My daughter always measured right on the mark and was 7lbs 7oz. So now I am wondering if I do make it to the 40 weeks if this baby will be ginormous! :-) So my questions are...

1.) Did you measure ahead with your pregnancy and how much did your baby end up weighing?

2.) If you did measure ahead then did you give birth before your due date?

Thanks ladies! God bless! :-)

<><

just fyi. I have had two sonograms done the past 6 weeks. I do not have too much fluid and there are no fibroids :-) My last sonogram right around 31 weeks the perinatal doctor estimated the baby to be around 6lbs. I know that is just an estimate though.

With my last baby I threw up pretty much the entire pregnancy and I lost weight never did really gain anything. The week before my induction my sono said baby was 8 lbs 6 oz a week later i went to doctor was already at a 6 and he said I could hed to the hospital or home. I told him we'd met him at the hospital. I had contractions for over a month before she was born. My youngest daughter was born weighing 8 lbs 9.5 oz.

My other two kids a girl now 7 years old weighed 7 lbs 9 oz. My son now 6 years old was born early at 35 weeks he weighed 6 lbs 7 oz. My sons dad was almost an 11 pound baby so I was glad for him being early.
Hang in there what ever happens you will have a baby to love on soon. Best of luck with the rest of the pregnancy and the delivery! Congratulations!

I was always larger than expected. At one point the DR. thought I might be having twins.I had a 9lb.5oz. baby boy.I did not deliver early.In fact I would not go in to labor even though I had dilated to 8 so the Dr. induced 2 days prior to my due date.

I'm only 22 weeks and my tummy is measuring at 25 weeks. I have what the doctor likes to call "a little fluff" so that explains it. My ultrasounds are measuring right on track. So you have to take into account if you had a pooch before you got pregnant.

Hi B.,

I measured ahead with my last baby, but I don't recall how much. He was born at 37 weeks, 6 days, and weighed 9 lbs 6 oz. This was not an induction-my labor started on its own at home. I am currently 37 weeks pregnant today, and this baby measured at 36 weeks by the time I was 30 weeks, and has consistently measured about 4-5 weeks ahead. My midwife gave me a weight estimate last wed. and said he feels about 8.5 lbs already.

I am hoping that I go into labor soon, because I really don't want to squeeze out a baby buffalo! I know every pregnancy is different, but I hope this labor goes like my last! I've been rally crampy the last few days, with a lot of pelvic pressure, but other than that, I've had no signs of labor. Anyway, I'm sure the timing will be perfect, as it always is, but it's hard not to get anxious! Good luck, and hang in there.

I measured a couple weeks ahead, and went into labor naturally about a week ahead. Had a "normal/small" sized baby for my family... at 10lb 23" ((Normal for my family is 10-12 lbs)

Hi B.,
I measured big with my last baby - anywhere from 1 week to 2 weeks - and he ended up weighing 1lb less than what my last sonogram estimated. He was born 1 week early. A sono tech told me at one point that the weight measurements on a sono is very much an estimate because it is like looking at someone a block away and trying to guess how tall they are.

Good luck with everything and congratulations!

I measured ahead my whole entire pregnancy with my son anywhere from wks. I was induced at 37 1/2 weeks. He was 8 lbs 12 oz so I am so thankful they induced me early!!!

I didn't measure ahead with my baby and she was born 2 days after EDD at 6lb 9oz. Many of my friends and acquaintances, however, have measured 'big' and had normal sized babies. It kinda ticks me off how many of those friends were talked into a C-section because of their "huge" babies and then ended up with 7 and 8 lb newborns. What I've heard is that measuring fundal height in the third trimester is very inaccurate. You need a sonogram to get a more accurate measurement, though even sonograms aren't definitive.

I measured a little ahead. I never showed signs of going into labor - not even a hint of it. My doctor had me measured by a perinatal doctor a week before the due date because she was concerned. The perinatal doctor said my daughter measured around 8 lbs. My doctor said we'd have to do a c-section if she didn't come by the due date, but I had planned on a natural birth and my mother kept telling me how I and my two sisters came "way over the due date" so not to rush things.

I postponed the c-section date by three days just to see if I'd go into labor on my own. I felt a little trickle of something a few days before the c-section was scheduled and called my doctor. She said we should just go ahead and do the c-section. I was extremely nervous/upset about the whole thing, but my daughter ended up being 9 lbs. 14 oz and 22 inches. She looked like a giant in the nursery compared to the other babies.

I never did dilate/efface/etc., but I learned that the measuring stuff can be way off. I doubt my daughter gained nearly two pounds in one week!

1 / 3