Math for 4 Year Old

My son, who is now 4, has always loved numbers since before he was a year old. He loves counting to anything he does - counting going up & down stairs, his toys, stars at night…you name it. For Christmas I bought him the Leap Frog Go Fish game which is letters but also a Math board game is included. My son LOVES it and wants to play it all the time!!! I think it's a new fascination because he's already somewhat reading simple books(knows all his sight words) and can write so math is like a whole new world! He is now doing simple math problems such as 1+1, 1+2, etc. Does anyone have any other suggestions on what math games are fun or workbooks, activities, etc? I know counting and numbers can be integrated into everything but I’m looking for activities specific to Math. Suggestions other than computer games would be appreciated. Thanks Mamas!!!

Thank you for your responses, tips and suggestions! SO helpful! I want to keep math fun for him only because in school is where he will learn math appropriately as only his teachers can teach him. Then I can work with him at home what he is doing in school. I’m not sure I want to have him do workbooks and worksheets as he’ll get plenty of that in school. My son loves the dot-to dot games in his Puzzle Buzz & Highlights monthly magazine but there is usually only one page of the dot-to-dot activity in each one so I’m going to get him a book of just those!

My husband always thought it was fun to do math while eating... If I have 8 goldfish crackers and I eat 2, how many do I have now? How should we divide up the pizza? etc.

Try Lakeshore Learning Center - they have both retail stores & a website.
ALSO - math and music go hand in hand in the brain, and with child development - start him, possibly, with a little kids keyboard to play around with. I'd not begin music lessons yet - but there are programs out there that explore music for young kids.

I've seen this suggestions in other posts, but I'll repeat because my son LOVES them, and he's also a numbers fan (probably be an engineer like his papa!) Dot to dots are great for teaching sequencing numbers, and there are many available online that you can print out depending on your son's interest of the day or seasonal activities. Pattern-making is another great skill, and you can integrate patterns with shapes, numbers, colors, anything. My son will not eat many foods until he sorts them and makes patterns first (peas, carrots, beans, etc.) You can make patterns when doing laundry, dishes, shopping, driving. Have fun!

Not sure if you have a teacher supplies store near you, but if you do that's your best bet. Not only will they have a wide variety of games and workbooks, but they usually have teachers employed there part time in the evenings and on weekends so you can get first hand advice. If you don't have a teacher store near you, try online. Lakeshore Learning Store is near where I live but I know they have a website, too. Look for kindergarten activities and books first, then when/if he aces them you can move on to first grade ones. Make sure when he hits kindergarten that you let his teacher know right away that he is advcanced so she can give him advanced work. In first grade, my son's teacher gave him the chapter tests and ended up letting him move on to the 2nd grade math book... unfortunately, when he got to 2nd grade, he couldn't move up to the 3rd grade book because it was too hard and had things he had not been introduced to yet. So we supplimented at home with workbooks to keep up his math ineterest. He is now accelling in pre-Algebra, which is the highest math class they offer in 6th grade at his school.

Hi V S, It's great that your son is so advanced, and loves learning. I buy pre kindergaren work books, for math, reading. spelling, for my daycare kids, I offer kindergaten readiness, the work books are good, because you can take the papges out and scan them so you always have your originals, for your future children, and it aids in the children not spending so much time in front of a screen. I have a four year old n my daycare and I';m getting her reading for kindergarden, she knows all her colors, most of her shapes, she understands patterns for example blue circle red circle, blue circle blue circle red circle, she can continue the pattern by herself. She also can tell you smoke comes from fire and steam comes from water. I'm happy to see a mom out there that believes in letting kids grow and advance at such a young age, I had a mom slam me and tell me I have no right to be a daycare provider because I have 3 month olds that can hold their own bottles, It'd funny cause I have a 2 month old that yesterday when I was feeding him he gripped the bottle with both hands, so i let go to see what he would do, and he held it. Children should never be held back from learning, so keep doing what you are are doing, your son is very blessed to have a mom who allows him to advance even though it may be farther that what the average 4 year old knows. Try the work books they are great. J.

I would suggest you go to a teaching store. In aurora we have the chaclkboard. But they have all the sorts of games and stuff a teacher will use at school. we bought my son 2 things there. one was a set of counting bears it had a hundred little teddy bears in 3 different colors for counting/sorting etc and then several games along with it to play. the other thing was a pizza game which we used to start fractions he started that in like 1st grade and loved it also. good luck. oh another suggesting get things he actually uses his hands for nt electronic games. it helps with eye hand coordination and fine motor skills.

My son loves brainpop and poptropica online. Have you checked with the school district about starting your son early? I think if he is as advanced as you say he is he sounds ready for kidergarten. Don't hold him back due to age, unless he is really not emotionally ready. I would think that you might be able to sit in a few kindergarten classes ( possibly math time) with him so he can be ready for it in a few months. It must be really exciting to see his little brain work over these numbers. Make sure to keep lots of momentos.

My son was doing math early also. We bought a few of the Reader Rabbit reading and math programs for the computer (they have various age and grade levels). He loved them. You can also get games like Yahtzee Junior where you have to add up your scores. We went to Lake Shore Learning Center and got a bunch of activity books too. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Just a warning though... My son was able to do math in his head at 4 and 5 years old. However, in Kindergarten and First Grade they teach the kids to count using blocks or beads or some other objects (so they can visualize the numbers) and they have to do it to complete their school work because they have to show their work - even if they already know how to count in their heads. It is a very frustrating situation because it almost sets the kids who can already count back by forcing them go back to basics. My son actually started to count on his fingers for awhile - it drove me crazy because it was for basic math that he knew when he was 3 and 4. So if you son continues his love of math the first few years of grade school may be boring and frustrating for him. You have to keep him motivated until they start doing more advanced work.

mazes, dot to dots. I know early math is a lot of patterning. like black white black-what is next? obviously those patterns can get pretty complex.

1 / 3