Kitchen Table and Hot Foods

When I put hot/warm foods on a paper plate and set on my kitchen table it is leaving a white mark on the table that then is very hard to get off. Anyone else ever experience this and what do I do to stop it? My table is wood and only about 5 yrs old.

Use to only use real plates then had kids...I used a mixture of olive oil and vinegar and table looks great. I will pick up some place mats this week. Thanks everyone!

I think pot holders or placemats are the only way to protect the table. The heat is probably messing with the finish on the wood.

My husband is a wood worker and he would cry if he read your post.
You are NEVER supposed to put hot or wet items on wood! You should always use coasters, trivets, pot holders or lined table clothes that are able to keep any heat or moisture away for the wooden surface.
You are ruining your table.

You either need to use a trivet, placemat, or a real plate

Basically, what is happening, is much like a water ring from a glass. You know, when you put a glass on a wood table, you are often left with a white ring? That is why you should use coasters under your glasses, also.

When you put hot/warm foods on a paper plate, the moisture seeps through the paper and into the finish.

The best thing to do is use real plates or placemats or a tablecloth. That will also help absorb moisture.

The scrubbing you are doing is also removing the finish from the table. Use these suggestions to remove the white marks.

http://www.rd.com/home/7-ways-to-remove-water-rings/

Table cloth or stop using paper plates.

Use a hand towel or buy some hot pads from Walmart. The heat is penetrating the wood surface and it is breaking down the finish. The paper plate gets hot from the food and it is not enough insulation to keep the heat off the table.

Someone did this to my newly refinished table at Christmas time. I ALWAYS use trivets, placemats or hot pads. Now I have a white spot that I can't get off. Just made me sick! My mom would have a fit if we didn't use coasters all the time....so it is burned in me and I get after my kids all the time! Also....I can't believe the kids that put their shoes on my furniture. Another huge no no at our house growing up!

Even I use trivets and my table is cesearstone

1 / 3