Kitchen Makeover

We are planning on having our kitchen updated with granite countertops. (Long overdue!) I am also trying to decide what kind of sink to get. Does anyone have any advice, recommendations, things they wish they would have done differently? I thought it couldn't hurt to ask other moms. I heard stainless steel sinks are loud and easily scratched. I don't have a lot of research time. Ha Ha.

Well, I have a corian sink in the bathroom, which I love...and a stainless steel sink in the kitchen, which I also love. I've had the stainless steel sink for 25 years and I've never noticed it being noisy and it's very easy to keep clean looking - much easier than the porcelain sinks that I lived with before. We're about to do a major remodel (deep breath) and I'll get another stainless steel. I agree with the other person about getting one large bowl.

My corian sink is 15-20 years old and we're keeping it - just getting it cleaned up instead of getting a new one. It still looks great.

Here's another forum to ask anything and everything about remodeling: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/kitchbath/

I would definitely recommend a double sink! Stainless steel sinks can be noisy if you buy a cheap one. We got one on the higher end and love it!! We have had it for over a two years and not one scratch.

I redid my kitchen completely in 2003, so much so that I had to get my water from the bathroom! We went with granite countertops, but did the tile and it was 1/2 the price of a slab, and I love it. I went with black grout and have had zero problems (and I am the farthest from Mrs. Clean you can get!). I love my porcelain sink, the only thing I would suggest would be to get an undermounted sink so you can just swipe the mess right in. Good Luck...

I'm an interior designer that is very opinionated about sinks - we love to cook at our house and have lived with several different kitchens in our 18 years of marriage.
Stainless Steel is the way to go! It never goes out of style, it's easy to clean and doesn't chip or stain like porcelain. Plus metal is naturally inhospitable to germs - that's why you see so much stainless in hospitals, etc.
If you like your sink to look new & perfect you can polish out water spots, etc. with a little Bon Ami powder or Barkeeper's Friend (same stuff - different brand)
Undermounted sinks are very hot now - but also easier to clean so I think they will become the standard & not just a trendy look.
I must say I am not thrilled with my Whirlpool stainless cook top - it is very soft and I scratched it with a Scotch Brite sponge Grrrr....I was barely wiping at some stuck on sauce & I noticed I could see exactly where I wiped. BUMMER!
Anyway - that's my 2cents, Oh yeah - granite is over rated & super common - maybe something a little different - like gorgeous tile?? I live in Mountain House and all of my neighbors have Baltic Brown granite - me too , cuz it was included! Ask for an unusual color & do a decorative tile backsplash - granite up the walls will feel heavy and a little like a masoleum. We did a tile backsplash with a band of patterned tile and we love it! It's less elaborate than I originally thought I wanted - much less expensive and I actually like it better than my first choice!
I could babble on for hours....
Good Luck! Kitchen Remodels are messy & stressful - be patient!

I had my kitchen refinsihed a couple of months ago. Like you, I thought I wanted granite until I discovered there's a whole lot of impractial upkeep associtated with granite. We found corion to be an excellent substitute. It's high end and, comes in many different colors, easy upkeep, and they offer a seamless sink in a color to compliment your counter tops. I highly recommend corion even if it is made by Dupont. By that I mean I ususally prefer natural, as opposed to man made, but in this case, man made wins.
Good luck with your project. S.

Once upon a time we had our dream kitchen and then we sold and moved to a house with someone elses dream kitchen. We recently went back to our old house and I got to be in my kitchen and I could have cried it was so beautiful. Yes go with the stainless steal. It is timeless and easy to care for . But like someone said buy a good one. Ours is not noisey. Do undermount also. I miss my Granite counters soooo much.We had all corners cut a 45 including the edge of the counter. They were easy to care for and beautiful and natural. I really enjoyed having the sink in the corner with windows around it. The biggest thing I miss is a bar stool sitting area for the kids. Our house now has a giant butcher block center island with cabnets underneath but no space for bar stools.I personally don't care for the butcher block look and it dose take some work to care for it. I can't tell you how much I miss the kids being able to sit right there at the counter for breakfast. If you can have that in your new kitchen you'll love it. Keep it the same height though. Some are taller and then that changes the surface height of the counter and makes it smaller space where the kids sit and they can push there cups or plates off the edge.One big counter height area is the best. Also we had sky lights with a coffered ceiling and I loved all the natural light. put in good lighting because our kitchen now has very poor lighting and it is hard not being able to see well what your cooking and cleaning. so I am jealous and happy for you and your kitchen remodel. Have fun.

We did our kitchen a couple of years ago and I did aome looking into what the pros (chefs) have in their own kitchens. The consensus was stainless steel sinks with plenty of wood. Since wood around the sink is not practical we went with quartz around the sink area (less expensive and more practical than granite) and a large unfinished maple butcher block island. It has worked out great. I found the most expensive and largest double bowl stainless steel sink I could get at the home stores (Blanco) and then bought it for about half of their cost online from a pumbing supply in New Jersey. The undermount is the way to go and the sink is installed by the counter guys so it doesn't matter where you get it. The stainless is easy to clean and looks great even if it is scratched a bit. My neighbor has a Corian sink that always looks dirty even after cleaning. Maybe it is the water in this area. After 15 years in our old kitchen the new one is the greatest!

I am a designer who is working on a lot of kitchens. I have older children (my sister sent me this link and I just happened to open it today!) I personally finished my own kitchen remodel last fall. I am recommending the Rohl Fireclay sink (one bowl). It resists scratching, chipping. I like the one bowl because it is one large basin and you do not have to worry about people putting food (or Cheerios) on the wrong side. Go to Barbara at Plumbing Unique. She will point you in the right direction regarding your fixtures, etc.

Hi Heather,
I redid my kitchen about 2 years ago and have a stainless steel sink and LOVE it! I don't think it's noisy at all and it's very easy to clean. My realtor was here yesterday and was disappointed she installed a non-stainless in her kitchen. And because it's an undermount sink, it would be very difficult to change. Mine is an undermount and I like that, but I love my sink and don't need to change it.

I also agree with the person below - don't buy the least expensive one they have. You don't have to buy the best either. I have a middle of the road.

Enjoy your new kitchen!

1 / 3