Kindergarten ... to Send or Not to Send?

Hi veteran moms!
My son's b'day is 9/3 and apparently the 'soft' cutoff for kindergarten next year- is to be 5 yrs by 9/1. I've read a few articles that kids (especially boys) do much better in school, sports and life in general if they are older in their class. Should I wait out an additional year to send my son to kinder (and have him be on the older side)? Or send him next year and have him be one of the younger kids? I still have a year to decide what to do... What are your thoughts? Experiences with your own kids/sons?
Thank you in advance moms!!!

I placed my daughter in the year ahead as the school recommended her for it. She graduated from HS at age 16 and went to Jr. College. I thought she was too young for a regular dorm at a university.
Scholastically and socially she did very well. I also was a year ahead and always the youngest in my classes. For me it was tough socially.
I would not have allowed my youngest daughter to be a year ahead. Developmentally she was about three years behind herself and only caught up the last year of HS.

It sounds like you won't have a choice if his birthday is after the cut-off. Being on the older end does have its advantages. But, if you can send him next year and he seems ready, then go for it. My oldest son's birthday is right before the cut-off, so he's one of the youngest (and smallest, which wouldn't change by waiting a year anyway!) in his grade. He was academically and socially ready though, and he's now in 2nd grade and doing great. If you're unable to send him next year because of the cut-off date, look into testing out of kindergarten the following year (so he'd skip kinder and go straight to 1st grade at 6 yrs).

As a previous pre-k teacher, I can tell you that I NEVER saw a little boy DISADVANTAGED in any way by waiting that extra year. Hope this is helpful =)

If he is academically and emotionally ready to go then you should let him go. If he is in a preschool program you should be able to have a conversation with the teacher or director for assesment. We held our son back due to some borderline academics ie. small motor skills, letter recognition and a summer birthday. It was very beneficial for us as he is in 1st grade now. He went into Kindergarten confident and it was an easy transition as well as his academics being inline or excelled with his peers. I felt that if he needed to move ahead, then he could do so. But I didn't want to hold him back later.

I struggled with this also. My son's birthday is August 31 and we have a lot of friends that have fall babies. It seemed like the trend was to wait and send them a year later, instead of at four even though he would be that for a only a couple weeks. Art the time I could not see any down side to waiting, especially for a boy. So I signed him up for a third year of preschool. When we got there the first day it was so clear to me that these kids that would be his peers were not his equals, which I never took into consideration. He is a tall boy, that was socially beyond his years and had the basics of curriculum down. I left with a knot in my stomach knowing that this was not the right decision for him and contacted the Charter school that we had planned on sending him and had him enrolled in Kindergarten that afternoon. It was definitely the right choice for him, even though he is the youngest in his class and has been challenged with reading fluency compared to kids that are almost a year older, On the other side, I have several friends that waited the extra year and that was right for them. I think it depends on your child and what is right for him, I think that size and maturity are good indicators. We all try to make the best decisions we can for our kids and hope that it is the right choice. Good luck with whatever you decide.

It really depends on your son. If he is academically ready and also on the mature side he's probably ready to go if not another year at home is fine. Known of us can tell you because we don't know your son.
Has been in any type of school/daycare? If yes, I'd ask them what they think.

My son's birthday is end of Oct and the school cut off to begin kindergarten where we are is - must be 5 on or before 9/30.
We could not start him any earlier, so he was 5 for only 2 months in kindergarten before he turned 6.
Only a very few earlier Oct birthdays are older than him.
It's really worked out well for him.
He's always the tallest in his class, and he gets along great with everyone.
I think the extra year of maturity has been a benefit to his school work, he's always got straight A's.

My son is one of the oldest in the class and I'm happy about that.. I have a few friends that are teachers, and they ALL say it's better if the boys are the oldest one's... They tend to be the more immature ones.. :0)

My daughter is an October baby and I wished she could start school with all her friends who left preschool before her. We had to wait and now I am glad. I notice a big difference in her maturity level.

I guess it would depend on your son and how you think he would do...some kids, if they are more mature, more sociable, and used to the routines usually found in school (such as in preschool) could probably do fine. If you still think he has some growing up to do and would benefit from waiting a year, then have him in a preschool or pre-kindergarten program instead to better prepare him. Some places offer a pre-kindergarten or "kindergarten readiness" program that helps fill that gap between preschool as a 4 year old (which they may be bored by) and kindergarten, if they aren't quite ready for full-fledge kindergarten yet.

1 / 3