Kid Friendly All Inclusive Resorts in the United States or Mexico

So for a little background...my in-laws want to take all their kids, kids' spouses, and grandchildren to an all inclusive resort. They are thinking Mexico, but they are asking for input We will be going next summer and staying for 6 days. Our kids will be 4 1/2 and 1 1/2. My nieces and nephews' ages will range from 5 1/2 to 8 1/2. So here are my questions...

1. Have you brought small chidlren to Mexico recently?
2. If so did you feel like they were safe at all times?
3. Were there plenty of things for your kids to do for a 6 day stay?
4. In general did you like your resort or not?
5. What was the name of your resort?

Thanks in advance for all the help and advice!

I would choose Cozumel if you were to go to Mexico. We have been taking my son there since he was five.

We have stayed at Melia, it was okay, and I love that it was the northern most hotel. El Cozumelia, is a little more of a party scene, but suposed to hve good kids program, and they have a kick butt snorkeling, again on the norhtern end. The beach area is small. But well worth it for the water. I feel Cozumel to be very safe, and I have heard it still is. I would check hotels and make sure their kids programs are up and running for the time you plan on going.
Cozumel does not have the nicest sand, it is more coarde due to the coral reefs. But Snorling excursion are awesome. And you can not beat flying into the island and avoided the mainland. If you go take them to Chakunaba park. If you go in summer you will most likely want to go earlier in since it will be starting to approach hurricane and rainy season.

I have not been to state side resorts. We have thought about going else where, but we have enjoyed coz so much. I suggest a travel agent, they can answer many question you have. I did that for our first trip and do not regrett, now we just book ourselves. Keep you expecatations a little low, food is usually so so. It is the tropics, critters galore, humid, musty. As long as you know what to expect it will not be a disapointment.

I took older kids (10 and 13) to Puerto Vallarta in January. I never felt unsafe, and I am generally pretty paranoid about safety issues. I think all of the touristy resort areas are fine--it is the border towns and drug areas that have been affected by violence. That said, I am always cautious when traveling and in an unfamiliar city, including in the U.S. I would feel especially secure at an all-inclusive resort. Although I had opportunities, I did not take my kids to Mexico when they were little because of concerns over food, water, medical care and car seats. Having been there twice in the last 4 years, I can say that the food and water safety has significantly improved and I no longer have concerns. We also used medical care on our recent trip because my older son developed strep. It wasn't like American medical care, but we got what we needed. If you stay at an all-inclusive, the car seats shouldn't really be an issue. Now, I probably wouldn't hesitate to bring younger kids. My biggest concern from the things you listed is that you are going during the summer. You will find some good deals because it is their off season, but it is VERY hot in Mexico and it is their rainy season. Yes, there are plenty of things to do. In addition to playing in the sand and swimming, most nice resorts have activities and children's programs. We were in a timeshare condo, but since my kids were older we didn't need children's programs and were able to keep them very busy. We also took our boys on a cruise when they were 8 and 5, and they had more fun than my husband did! (Turns out he's not a cruiser.) Have fun wherever you go.

A year and half ago, when we had a 4 & 7 year old, we went to the Occidental Grand Flamenco Xcaret in Playa Del Carmen. It was wonderful. Their website doesn't do it justice. It is very family friendly. Kid's shows/entertainment each night. A kid's club that you can "drop in" at any time. 4 swimming pools and a beach that is great for snorkling. It is attached to Xcaret - an "ecological park". Part zoo, part cultural experience. You can watch all sorts of traditional shows, swim with dolphins and snorkel. It is all inclusive. We hope to go back this winter.
BTW, the resort itself is very safe. You really don't need to leave at all, unless you want to. We did not.

I would recommend Cozumel. It's an island so it's a little more isolated than some of the other resort towns like Cancun and Playa but has a big enough airport for flights. We like the Occidental resorts (Grand and Allegro). Allegro is especially family friendly with a playground, kids' club, lots of activities, family entertainment and the boat can pick you up on the dock for snorkeling/diving (we are scuba divers so we appreciate the short boat ride to the coral reefs). Both hotels are on the south side of the island so you have amazing beaches(vs other parts of the island). Personally I get a little tired of food at any all-inclusive, but the resort has numerous restaurants so I felt like we were able to get a variety of options.

If you are interested in heading to California, there are some great all inclusive family retreats that are focused on wellness and fitness at some great resorts such as La Costa in San Diego.
http://www.bigbluetrunk.com/ourcorner/832

We stared at a resort in mexico with my then 4 yo daughter and they had day camp and felt safe leaving her there .... it wan not all inclusive but you just need to check out camp & staff at resorts. We stayed in Cabo San Lucas Pueblo Bonita Rose.

I haven't been to Mexico with kids, but Beaches resort (part of Sandals resorts) in Turks and Caicos is FANTASTIC for families!

My husband and I went to Barcelo Maya resort in the Mexican Riveria ( about 2 hours south of Cancun, 15 mins from Playa Del Carmen and Playa Adventurous) We didn't kids but it was a family resort and really nice. If your interested I can try and find some pics.

1 / 3