Is There a Voice Change After Tonsil/adenoidectomy?

My two and five year old kids will be having their adenoids and tonsils removed. I am worried their voices will change. We feel the surgeries are warrented but want to know about others experiences, especially with voice changes.
Thanks!!

hi B., they will be allright as long as they rest after the nose and throat thing. my son had his out a couple yr.s ago. he thought being in the hospital was a great thing. he was sore but his voice was o.k. good luck. get well soon. J.

My son had his out at the age of 8. There was no change in his voice other than for the first few weeks he sounded more nasally. That ended with the healing. I am so thankful his are out. I had to fight with my doctor to get it done. He was having a lot of health problems due to the over enlarged tonsils and adenoids. If there is any change in the voice, it is very minimal and unnoticed.

My little sister had this done at the age of 5 or so. Her voice was squeaky/raspy/whiny afterwards, in a very irritating way. My mom and I hoped it would go away eventually, and it did. I think it took about six months though.
It's good that you're getting this done now. The younger they are, most of the time the better the recovery. My sister was eating french fries the day after her surgery. On the other hand, our older sister who was around 12 when she had it done, took two weeks to recover.

I know you have had lots of responses but here is mine...
My 5 year old daughter had her adenoids and tonsils out in December. Her voice did not change at all. And just a heads up... Your 5 year old should do great (they are at the age that they can understand that they HAVE to take the medicine and drink and eat popsicles... to get better). The 2 year old might be more of a challenge. If my younger daughter needs hers out in the future I will probably wait until she is 5. But I totally understand that you probably just want them to both get them done at the same time. Good luck, it is a long road, but worth it :)

My daughter had both her tonsils and adenoids taken out when she was 4 (she is now 6). I remember right after the surgery her voice was kind of high and squeaky. After a few weeks her voice went back to being almost the same as before the surgery. I think the hardest part is probably when they wake up from surgery and are scared. Prepare yourself for them crying after they bring you back after the surgery is over since they will be disoriented.

My daughter had sleep apnea before and I was amazed at the before & after difference. Before I could hear her snoring from down the hall and after I have to get right down by her head to hear breathing. There little bodies bounce back very quickly.

My 6 1/2 year old had his tonsils and adenoids removed in December and aside from sounding less "nasal-y", his voice sounds the same! Good luck!!

My 2.5 yr old son had this done 3 weeks ago, and it has changed his voice. Not extreme, but we can certainly tell a difference. I don't think someone who isn't close to the family would be able to spot the difference, but we can. In our case, it was a MUCH needed surgery, so a voice change wasn't an issue. Things went great, and recovery for our son was very quick...and things now are so much better.

I was 13 when I had both procedures done. I was born with extra large tonsils and adenoids. I snored quite loudly and I had a string of strep infections right before the surgery.

My voice did change--it was no longer "nasally", but I still sounded like myself. My tonsils grew back within a couple of years (rare, but it does happen).

My daughter was 6 last year when we had hers removed. She sounded like Minnie Mouse for about a month, which no one warned us about. It gradually went away and by 6 months her voice was all better. I was told that they have to learn to move the air differently in their mouths and it takes awhile. I don't know if that's correct, but it did go away.

I would recommend following the directions about giving Tylenol every 4 hours at first, even waking them up through the night the first couple of nights. We found that made a big difference. Anything you can do to get them to drink liquids or crushed popsicles also helps. It's worth it if it's medically necessary. My daughter's sleep apnea is gone, she wakes rested, she didn't get strep a single time this year (previously 3-4 times each winter), and she healthier. It's an amazing difference. Good luck!!!

I had them both removed at the end of January and while at first there is a change, it's mainly because you are healing and there's pieces of your mouth missing. That, and my jaws were in extreme pain from being held open during the surgery so it was hard to open my mouth. After everything is healed it goes back to normal. Hope everything goes well for ya.

1 / 3