Is It Possible to Get Breastcancer While Breastfeeding?

I'm currently nursing my 3 month old and I found a lump in my breast.
I'm using my nursing bras I used with my previous baby, but they don't fit me exactly.
Some are too loose and some too tight, so I make adjustments everytime I change bras.
Needlesstosay, sometimes they are too loose, it jiggles and hurts my chest muscle.
But I don't think that would cause a lump.

I'm 33 with a mother who died of breast cancer around 40. So...should I get it checked out now, with my milk glands all working, or wait until I'm done a year from now?
I've never heard of anyone having cancer while nursing....have you?

I believe you canm get breast cancer at any time and that even if odds are low you should never wait after finding a lump. Prompt action can be the difference between life or death.

sounds like an infected gland or the start of one. the sore muscle feeling and a knot/lump. i would get it checked out and massage it and use a warm compress if it is a clogged gland.

S.,
You should go see your OB regardless. If you've got a clogged milk duct then you could be on your way to mastitis, which is a not so fun breast infection that gives you fever, chills, sore breasts, and a host of other flu like symptoms. I had it with both kids and it becomes very difficult to nurse, let alone take care of an infant and another child. You don't want it if you can avoid it. Perhaps your OB can give you some tips to unclog the duct if that is indeed what it is so you prevent yourself from getting mastitis.

On the other hand, if your lump is something more than a clogged milk duct, you should know now. My sister-in-law was diagnosed with breast cancer at 32 while in the first trimester of her second pregnancy. The hormones grew the tumor so fast that she could see it at one point. Early detection saved her life. It has been 12 years since her diagnosis and today she's as healthy as ever. The earlier you know, the better.

I would have it checked out. It could be a cysts also. I get them in my breast. Do not worry about it just have it checked.

Are you practing prevention to keep yout body strong since there is cancer in your family?

If you are interested in learning more email me and I will get more info for you.

Stay safe and well.

N. Marie

PLEASE get checked now!!! I worked with a woman in her late 20s who was diagnosed when her son was 4 months old. She received chemo and is recovering nicely. But you cannot wait!!!

I had a small lump when I first got pregnant with my first and my OB had me get it checkedout just in case. As we thought it was just a milk gland but hard to know unless they look at it. I would be safe and get it checked especially with the family history. I don't think nursing would stop cancer, just make it harder to find due to the milk glands.
GOod luck and hopefully it's just a milk gland.

Get it checked out now just to be safe. I had a lump when I was breastfeeding and it turned out to be a clogged milk duct. It's worth getting it checked out just to be safe. I had an ultrasound of my breast it was painless and easy. Hope everything is fine. Good luck!

Get it checked now. They may ask you to do a follow up after you are finished nursing, but with your family history it is a priority to get it checked. I hope it is a clogged duct and nothing more. Sadly, people can get breast cancer while pregnant or nursing. My husband is a radiologist and during training he saw several young mothers who were diagnosed with aggressive breast cancer while pregnant or nursing. He said it made him very sad because the mothers and children were so young and the cancer was so aggressive. The earlier treatment starts the better the chances of getting rid of it. Please, go in asap. I hope it turns out to be nothing.

Go see your doctor. It is probably a plugged milk duct, but why take a chance?

1 / 3