Intake of Omega 3 Supplements for Children

HI MAMAS, Just wanted your input about taking Omega 3 supplements for children.I was reading up on this and it looks and sounds like there should not be any worng findings taking this for younger children ages 7-16 and adults as well. My question is my son has been diagnosed with ADHD, we put him on meds and really did not see much of any drastic changes other than the side affects of him loosing so much weight. So we have loss our health insurance due to my husbands layoff a year ago. So we have not been able to continue getting his medication refilled. So he has been off for about four months now and still no changes really other than now he is gaining his weight back. So i went to his parent confrence last night and right away the teacher indicated he could tell that he needs to be on his meds and was kinda requesting us to do so. I feel and my husband that there has to be more we can do and was looking it up online and notice they suggest taking Omega 3 fish oil and found out through research with kids with ADHD taking this supplement was very beneficaial. Becasue if you really think about it taking the Adhd meds has so many side affects and reading about it states has speed in it. We really want to try out this Omega 3 and wanted to know if anyone has and if you found it to be a wonderful decision.Let us know we greatly apprecitiet it.

Hi V.,

Here's a link to Dr. Sear's website. http://www.drsearsfamilyapproved.com/
He's got a lot of info on the Omega 3 for kids and you can order through him, too.
Hope that helps.

Be well,
G. Brown
www.GilaBrown.com

V.,
I absolutely have to recommend Vemma Next. They have had great success with kids that have ADD and ADHD! A very close friend of mine.. her son has ADHD, they put him on Vemma Next and two months later was showing huge signs of improvement including temper and focus ability! You can get it from www.vemmabuff.com it is simply amazing.
hope this helps!
B. : )

I have a 9 yr old stepdaughter with ADD. When we first had the diagnosis, we also tried the Omega 3 suppliment (it was in little packets like ketchup) and something called Attend. It worked a little bit, but a good diet has to go with that, which can be tough sometimes. Also coping technics for them. We, and the school didnt see enough of a change with that so we ended up on Concerta and its working for us. All you can do is try what you have available. Have you looked into payment assistance for the meds? maybe that is an option if the suppliments dont work. Good Luck

Great stuff Julie! Everyone should be taking it, young kids - adults.

My kids started at 2, they are 4.5 & 7 and still take it daily. I currently take 7.2 grams a day (which is higher than the maintenance dosage) but I'm taking it for some knee pain I had (it's been gone for a while so I should lower my dosage) but I'm also taking it because I'm hypothyroid.

Taken from Dr. Barry Sears seminar, here is the recommended dosage (note: how many they say to take on most bottles is not enough).
******************************
The Importance of Fish Oil
• Reduces inflammation
• More effective than statins (cholesterol lowering drugs)
• How much fish oil
o Maintenance of wellness – 2.5 grams/day
o Treatment/prevention of obesity, diabetes, CHD – 5 grams/day
o Treatment/prevention of cancer, chronic pain – 7.5 grams/day
o Treatment/prevention of neurological disorders – 10 grams/day
************************************************
Most of our ailments are caused by inflammation, omega 3's are great for that. Maintance dosage for your son is 2.5 grams a day. If it were my child, I'd start at 5 grams and go up from there not exceeding 7. You don't want to go to high. Side effects? You could get diarrhea (I found switching brands cured this), also most just get the diarrhea while their body adjusts. This doesn't happen to people who just take 1-2grams a day, I've just noticed it can happen at the higher dosage. With my 7.2 grams a day, I have no neg. side effects. I take Henry's brand, it is 21.00 for a bottle of 120. They can be swallowed or chewed. In your sons case and all children, you want to make sure the fish oil you choose has more DHA than EPA. As adults, we need more EPA than DHA - unless an adult is taking it for memory issues/depression than more DHA would be best. Don't expect him to change over night. Get him on fish oil now and give it to him from here on out. You can tweak the dosage depending on how well he eats. The more omega 3's he is getting from food sources, then less fish oil he will need. On top of this supplementation, his diet needs to be clean! Two places you can go for food advice that is known to help with ADHD, ADD, Exzema, asthma, depression, migraines, diabetis, just about everything is www.zonediet.com or www.thepaleodiet.com. I've done both for health reasons, both are doable, both make you feel great - I'm currently doing a combination of the both.

I forgot to mention - too much fish oil can make you smarter (so not a bad side effect), it also thins your blood so if I get just a little cut (maybe from shaving) or recently I bumped my gum with my toothbrush while brushing, I bled more than I normally would. If you or anyone reading this already has blood thinning issues, then you would want to consult your Dr. first.

Sorry to be so long winded!

My son is almost 3 and he takes a non fish omega 3. I'm no health nut..(i just had frozen yogurt for lunch) I do think there are a lot of things parents can do instead of behavioral meds. I have 4 step kids, all of which have been on meds. I think 2 of them actually benefited but the other two didn't really need it. Diet really does have a lot to do with kids behavior. I have a friend who's 4 yr old is an absolute TERROR if he has any dairy product. He gets mean and totally out of control. I thought it sounded stupid until I started spending time with them. It's important to get in the omega 3, the live culture bacteria, the right protein. You can try eliminating sugar (i know!!!) and or wheat. Last but not least SLEEP!! If he isn't getting quality sleep it does make a difference. Keep him on a schedule and if he snores consider removing the adenoids. Studies of kids with ADAH saw an improvement in behavior after removing the adenoids of children who snore. My step daughter had hers out and she's like night and day!!

I took Omega 3's my entire pregnancy and my kids take it daily. They are 2 and 4. There are many kids formulas. Go to a health food store and ask for assistance in finding the best one. Also, my brother has bi polar disorder and (in addition to his meds) he drinks pure Nordic Naturals fish oil. It comes flavored but it is THE BEST for people with ADHD, mood disorders. Without eating healthy and taking his "oils" he feels the mood swings so much more. If it was my child I would try to go natural before putting him on meds...definately!!

What a great idea! :o) I have read many studies that suggest that essential fatty acids do indeed help with if not get rid of ADD and ADHD. My fiancee was diagnosed with ADHD as a child and was only on medication for a short time. He says that the side effects weren't worth the medication. We have been together for over three years now, and his diet has basically become more like mine. He believes that just the diet change worked for him. We basically just eat a lot more rice, grains, veggies and fruits, a little meat, and try to cut out the processed food. We don't buy anything with bleached white flour or artificial food coloring, especially the reds! If I had to choose two things to tell you to get rid of it would be anything with msg and artificial food cloloring. You wouldn't believe the side effects of food additives! Also we do take supplements. Anyway, I definitely think that oils help as well. I make smoothies with Carlson Norwegian Cod Liver oil. It tastes like lemon which I like in the smoothies and it also has vitamins A,D, and E. I would recommend researching other types of oils as well, I have learned that oils are magic for all kinds of things. I would start with Udo Erasmus. I don't know his website, but I am sure that you can google him! Good luck with your son, it is great that you are exploring other avenues, his health in the future will be much better because of it!

Lots of great advice. I just wanted to add a word of caution. I have two little boys. One is allergic to fish oil. After a week on it he broke out into a horrible rash all over his body. He takes flax oil now. It's not the fish, but it's still the Omega 3s. My other little boy started getting nose bleeds on the full does of Nordic Naturals Children's DHA. So I cut his dose back to 1/2 the recommended. I think the Omega 3s help, but watch for adverse effects.

Hi V.,

Hope that helps.

Be well,
G. Brown
www.GilaBrown.com

Well I am ADHD and tried it ... it did help but not much. What helped was drinking coffee. Not much and very weak. (think more like a tea than real coffee). It gave me caffeine which was kinda like the meds in being a stimulant but without the sugars in sodas which affected me badly. I also learned that it helped to keep my hands busy fro some reason. I got permission to knit in all classes because it brought my grades up 2 letter grade having something in my hands. I no longer need the coffee but do still knit.

I am personally VERY against long term mediating a child and very into short term meds with behavioural therapy in the long term. There are coping mechanisms for things like this, for some kids it can be physical exercise, others it is mental exercise, some it is a mix of the two and I am pretty sure their are more that I don't know about. You can help him figure it out or you get a professional to help him. I know that the professional route might not be really a good idea right now but when times change and you have health insurance again, it might be a good idea.

Pure Gold! My kids both take Omega 3-6-9 by Nordic Naturals. For my son it has calmed him, helped him focus in school, calmed his tics. Our Neuro recommended 2 pills 2x a day and we saw a huge difference at home and at school in a few weeks. We call it brain food in our house. We tried the gummies from Costco and it did no good, in fact made his tics worse. My daughter began taking it at 3 because she wasn't talking yet. A year later and she has fully caught up in her speech.

You can also look into diet to help with the ADHD. MSG has been talked about as something that makes ADHD worse. One mom said that when she removed it from his diet that she saw a huge improvement. Magnesium is another supplement that seems to work. It does for us. This forum of moms will help you with resources and what worked for them. http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?

Best of luck to you,

1 / 3