Infant Jaw Popping

My 6 month old daughter started popping her jaw a few days ago. It's not constant, but when she does it, it's noticable. She does not act like she's in any pain and it doesn't make any noise. Just occasionally looks like she's popping her jaw. She is teething (no teeth yet but probably will have a couple within the next couple weeks). She is also recovering from a double ear infection (started Sunday, diagnosed yesterday). Any ideas on what this is?

It sounds to me like she has figured out how to pop her ears... You know when you kinda yawn and pop your jaw around, your eardrums pop, feels really good!! Maybe

TMJ Disorder. I've had it my whole life and am now 33. They can correct it with braces later if it doesn't go away, but it's probably not necessary. I didn't have them. Just watch it to make sure it doesn't get worse and cause lock jaw.

As a guess as a mother it sounds like she is popping her ears like you would, to help release the pressure.

I don't think it's anything to be worried about, especially since you said she has an ear infection. My son often popped his jaw when he had ear infections. The doctor told me it helps relieve some of the pain/pressure and is absolutely normal.

1 / 3