24 answers

Ideas for Drawing Out Venom from Stings and Bites (Other than Baking Soda Paste)

Hi Ladies!

I was stung this week by something and did my traditional baking powder/soda paste to help draw out the venom. (Other times I ice it as well.) I was just wondering if any of you had other natural ideas for this that soothes more quicky and/or works even faster?


What can I do next?

So What Happened?™

Hey there! The copper penny, meat tenderizer, an onion, mud, toothpaste, aspirin paste, commerical helps--so many ideas! (Hope I didn't forget one!) I guess I will have to be a guinea pig in the future and find out which one works best for me and my kids.

Thanks to all who took the time to answer. Wishing all of us sting-and-rash-free summers!


Featured Answers

When my oldest got stung for the first time last year, my uncle told me to put a piece of onion on it. In which I did. I don't know how or why it worked, but it seemed to do the trick.

1 mom found this helpful

I heard that you tape a penny to it. The copper somehow reacts to the venom. It may be an old wives tale but it is worth a try.

1 mom found this helpful

More Answers

When my oldest got stung for the first time last year, my uncle told me to put a piece of onion on it. In which I did. I don't know how or why it worked, but it seemed to do the trick.

1 mom found this helpful

Use papain (meat tenderizer)as soon as possible after being stung.

Hope you feel better,

1 mom found this helpful

I got an email with solution to stings. I always check things out on snopes.com they normally can tell you if its true or false. This is the email and reply from snopes. Sorry it's long!!
Ok Here's the cotent of the email:
Just wanted to share a bit of information for school. A couple of weeks ago I was unfortunate enough to get stung by both a bee and hornet while working in the garden. My arm swelled up so off to the doctor I went. The clinic gave me cream and an antihistamine.

The next day the swelling was getting progressively worse so off to my regular doctor I went. Infected arm - needed an antibiotic. What was interesting is what the Dr. told me. The next time you get stung put a penny on the bite for 15 minutes. I thought, wow, next time (if there ever is one) I will try it.

Well that night Shelley's niece got stung by two bees. When she came over to swim I looked at the bite and it had already started to swell. So off I went to get my money. Taped a penny to her arm for 15 minutes. The next morning, there was no sign of a bite. Wow , were we surprised. Her niece, we decided, just wasn't allergic to the sting.

Well guess what happened again on Saturday night. I was helping Shelley dead head her flowers and guess what, you are right , I got bit again two times by a hornet on my left hand. Was I ticked. I thought here I go again having to go to the doctor for yet another antibiotic. Well I promptly went into the house, again got my money out and taped two pennies to my bites and then sat and sulked for 15 minutes. The penny took the sting out of the bite immediately. I still wasn't sure what was going to happen.

In the meantime the hornets were attacking Shelley and she got bit on the thumb. Again the penny. The next morning I would only see the spot where he had got me. No redness, no swelling. Went over to see Shelley and hers was the same. Couldn't even tell where she got bit. Then Shelley got stung again on Monday night on her back cutting grass. This penny thing is going to make us money at school. Again it worked.

Just wanted to share the marvelous information in case any of you are experiencing the same problem at home. We need to have a stock of pennies on hand at school.

The Dr. said somehow the copper in the penny counteracts the bite. I would never had believed it. But it definitely does work.

And here's the reply by snopes.com:

Common Cents Solution

Claim: To ease the pain of a bee sting, tape a copper penny to it.

Status: Undetermined.

Examples: [Collected on the Internet, 2006]

Origins: While a penny for one's thoughts is generally regarded as the going rate, this snippet of advice does not appear to be worth even that small sum.

The friendly heads-up, which began circulating in e-mail in August 2006, is often prefaced with the authoritative claim that "This comes from a person who works at a school in Tilbury and info came from local doctor," "This came from a friend," or "This is from a teacher!" While we don't know who penned the e-mail, it's possible that person gained the idea from this suggestion, which was added to a British household tips web site in July 2006:
Immediately after the sting, place a clean penny over the sting. Supposedly, there is a chemical reaction with the copper in the penny which causes the pain to stop and the poison to be drawn out. I have 5 active sons and have used this method 100 times in 20+ years. Thats it! Thats all there is to it! try it on a child and the crying will stop quickly.

There appears to be nothing magical about pennies (which in the U.S. are coins now composed of 97.5% zinc slugs coated with 2.5% copper) and insect stings. Taping one to a victim's arm is not known to be an effective counter to such injuries. Other than that one tip on a British site, we were unable to find mention of this treatment in any of the sources we checked, and we certainly encountered any number of other purported bee sting "cures."

Folk medicine is rife with such suggestions. Each is said by its proponents to greatly reduce or even eliminate swelling and soreness inflicted by stinging insects. While no such list could ever be complete (given that people are constantly trying new things, then vehemently swearing by them, even as their "miracle cures" fail to work for anyone else), the more commonly-recommended folk remedies to be applied to the sites of stings are:
A paste of baking soda and water
A paste of Aspirin and water
Tobacco juice
A paste of vinegar, baking soda, and meat tenderizer
Raw onion

Of those, ice looks to be the most effective. Those who instead turn to their physicians for relief from bee stings will likely be prescribed oral antihistamines and/or topical (cream or ointment) cortisteroid preparations.
Key to any recovery, however, is removing the bee's stinger from the wound as soon after the attack as possible. Whereas some say it doesn't matter how the item is extracted, others assert the importance of eschewing the use of tweezers and instead advocate scratching the site in hopes of catching the edge of the stinger and so easing it out. Behind this recommendation lies the idea that the venom sac remains attached to the stinger, thus any pinching of the organ will force further venom into the victim.

For most people, being stung by a bee amounts to no more than a transitory annoyance: the site of the attack hurts like the dickens for a bit, and a hard swollen lump (which then becomes red and itchy) forms there. However, some people are allergic to the venom injected by bees and thus can potentially lose their lives in short order if appropriate medical intervention is not provided in time. About 100 people a year die from allergic reactions to bee stings.

You're having an allergic reaction to the sting if there is subsequent swelling beyond the site of attack (especially if that swelling affects the face or the neck), or have difficulty breathing, find yourself suddenly wheezing or feeling dizzy, or experience a drop in blood pressure. Get medical help if any of those happen.

Hope this helps! Atleast one of these should work. But since snopes found it to be "undetermined" I will probably try the penny next time I get stung and see, it can't hurt right?

1 mom found this helpful

This might sound funny. But i was told that for stings (bees, wasp, ext.) A penny. Some thing about the copper in the penny. Haven't tried it. Try not to get stung.

1 mom found this helpful

When I was young, I was bit by a spider, I had a huge welt from it, it was hot, red and hard. My grandma took asprin, made a paste and put it on there....it was gone by the next day. I have done this with other bites and stings....it seems to work....give it a try!

1 mom found this helpful

My Mom always put meat tenderizer paste (mix with a little water to make paste) on bee or wasp stings because the venom is made of protein and the meat tenderizer breaks it down. That is what I would try. Oh and when you were stung if you were stung, I would take something flat like a credit card and run the edge quickly over the spot to remove the stinger. If you grab the stinger and pull, it pumps more venom into the bite.

1 mom found this helpful

Hi C.,
I have heard to put a penny onto a sting to relieve the pain. I haven't tried this yet, but have a few pennies handy for the summer--just in case!

1 mom found this helpful

I'm sorry, I don't know much about this topic but I did want to ask you something regarding homeschooling. Did you network much with others? How can you find out who is homeschooling in your area? I am starting next year and I want my kids to meet others. I tip my hat off to you for doing HS with 5 kids! Any tips you can provide will be greatly appreciated.


1 mom found this helpful

1 / 3
Required Fields

Our records show that we already have a Mamapedia or Mamasource account created for you under the email address you entered.

Please enter your Mamapedia or Mamasource password to continue signing in.

Required Fields

, you’re almost done...

Since this is the first time you are logging in to Mamapedia with Facebook Connect, please provide the following information so you can participate in the Mamapedia community.

As a member, you’ll receive optional email newsletters and community updates sent to you from Mamapedia, and your email address will never be shared with third parties.

By clicking "Continue to Mamapedia", I agree to the Mamapedia Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.