I Need Kid-friendly Whole Foods

Hell Ladies! I just talked with my Dr. and he has suggested that my daughter and I need a whole foods, mostly vegetarian diet. We don't have food allergies, but seem to have sensitivities. We know milk is a problem and he suspects gluten also. Here's my problem, I have 8 and 4 year old daughters and they are both really fussy. They would live on mac and cheese, chicken nuggets and spaghetti if they could. I have been very up front with them about needing to make the change so their belly aches will go away, but haw do I get them to try new foods. They would rather go hungry it seems. also are there any good websites or cook books with kid friendly whole food meals? Has anyone successfully conquered the fussy eater and made a transition to vegetarian? I have tried to introduce healthier foods before, but always seem to lose the battle! This time I must win!!!

Wow, Thanks for all the great ideas!! First, I'm cleaning out my pantry yet again. I've done this before, but always gave up!! I'm also going to involve my older daughter in the recipe choices and shopping to make it fun for her- She LOVES to cook! I really appreciate all the cookbook and web site suggestions- I'm off to Barnes and Nobel today. Please keep it coming! I appreciate the support!

1st off where do you live? I am in an area where there ar elocal co-ops with farms and you can pay somuch a month and pick up fresh foods weekly, and I know there is evenon on the Nashua/Hudson line.

Also, there are whole food sections of Shaws and a Whole Foods store is coming to Nashua in the nexy year or so. Sm,aller health food stores will be a BIG help to you as in info.

Go online and search also..Trader Joe's in Tyngsboro is amazing..local berry picking, canning will help all kinds of things..

The cookbook you need is called:

Whole Foods for the Whole Family by Roberta Johnson.

Also, if you go to the whole foods market, they make dairy free, gluten free nuggets, spaghetti, and cookies, for nights when you don't feel like cooking. (Most of their food is very low in preservatives, and all are artifical flavor/chemical free).

hi A.!
this might seem a little counter-intuitive, but i found that i couldn't get my picky eaters (3 daughters about the same ages as yours)to want healthy food until i took them off of vitamins. i have no idea if you give your girls chewable vitamins or not but there's something about receiving them artificially that shuts down the body's natural "cravings" for healthy food. within 2 weeks after we stopped they were eating all kinds of great stuff i thought they'd hate- like carrots and hummus and avacado and beans, nuts, lettuce etc... i've mentioned this to other parents and they've had similar success stories after doing away with the vitamins.

well, anyway, if they're not taking vitamins, another great thing is eliminating all those foods from the house. the dairy and gluten foods. they will seem to rather starve themselves but if you can stick it out for one full week, they actually will start eating the alternatives. we did this with our girls and made things easy by filling containers with nuts, rice cakes, pretzels, marinated tofu chunks, spicy beans, colored hard-boiled eggs etc... and keeping them in reachable places in the fridge and pantry. when the "i'm huuuungry"s started in, we'd say "go help yourself to whatever you like". and since there weren't any bad options available -they really could. it also took the emotion out of the whole thing because before we did this there was the crying and guilt-tripping and engagement of me in the whole ordeal which i found very painful and hard to bear. they still said things like "but there isn't anything i liiiiiiiiike!" or "i just want yoooooooou to make something fooooor me" for the first week or two but i summoned my will power and just lovingly kept restating that it was important to figure it out for themselves and left the kitchen area(which is very important if they're good at wearing you down with whining :)) i had to keep reminding myself that i wasn't being mean. doing a lot of other mom/daughter things with them during this time helped them understand that i wasn't just going to be "un-nurturing" from now on. we played board games a lot and made crafts together and stuff. which incidentally is more fun than playing short-order cook :)

honest to goodness, if you came to my house now, you'd think my kids had been eating healthy their whole lives. the added bonus is that they've become way more self-sufficient and also confident about making their own choices (even in areas that don't involve food) and the big plus is that food has lost it's battling/emotional component which- considering all the eating disorders among girls in our society-can only be a healthy step in the right direction right?

so, anyway, hope something in this rambling mess is helpful for you! LOL

good luck with the switching over! all of us moms are behind you!
may you be well in all ways,
annie

My daughter became allergic to wheat when she was only 1, and has since grown out of it (now 2 1/2). My favorite website was www.ener-g.com. Their breads are the best and closest to regular bread. I think she liked the corn the best - you can get a sampler to try everything. They are best toasted or grilled (grilled cheese). We eat a lot of rice. Lily loved white jasmine. You have to be creative with a gluten free diet. A lot of the gluten free foods at grocery stores (including Whole Foods and Trader Joe's) aren't very good tasting. It's really trial and error, and expensive. I found some regular cereals that are gluten free, like the Dora stars one and corn Chex. If you like to bake, there are tons of pretty good recipes out there - again, all trial and error. I found one through Martha Stewart of a bakery in NYC called BabyCakes (www.babycakesnyc.com). Their gluten free brownie recipe is full of good stuff like flava bean flour and is delicious. Good luck! Hopefully it won't take you as long as it took me to find good food!!

I can't recommend any specific brands or products, but I'm pretty sure that if you go to a specialty food store like Debra's Natural Gourmet in Concord or Whole Foods in Bedford, you can find gluten free products like cake/bread mixes, pasta, chicken nuggets, maybe even mac & cheese. We don't have any food sensitivities at our house but we try to eat whole foods as much as possible. I'm pretty sure Van's makes a gluten free toaster waffle because I think I bought it by accident for my husband (and you know what, he ate it without complaining...!).

Jenn

Things like bananas and avacado are calorie and nutrient packed fun kid foods. Kids are always more willing to eat fruits and veggies if you cut them up in bitty pieces. My two year old and three year old ADORE avacado.

Try sauteeing up your veggies in a bit of olive oil with salt and pepper. That added flavor makes a LOT of difference.

Also, what I do is involve the kids in meal preparation. They are more likely to eat a wholesome veggie and hummus wrap if you let them help you cut the cucumbers and spread the hummus.

I don't know much about a gluten free diet unfortunately :(

As a gluten intolerant person myself I can tell you there
are gluten free products that your children probably will not be able to tell the difference. There are rice pasta perfect for making mac and cheese, and spaghetti. You can buy gluten free bread crumbs and bread chicken. There are also a variety of cookies,cake, and snack mixes that are gluten free. Check out Ocean State Job Lot for a variety of Uncle Bob's Red Mill mixes, and let your daughters help you make cookies,a cake or brownies. Best of luck in your battle. In the end
they will thank you for no bellyaches.

I'm allergic to milk and gluten, so are my two boys (3 & 18 mos). I know the challenge you face. I hate half the food options out there myself. Suggestion 1: find close replacements. For regular sandwich bread I buy Spelt w/ honey. It has the most familiar texture to regular bread. It is not gluten-free, but a lot of people who can't tolerate wheat can eat spelt. I prefer vanilla rice milk, honey and peanut butter on my wheat-free/gluten-free cereal. I spent a lot of time reading labels at the Portsmouth Healthfood store. (Shaw's brand 'Esensia' natural peanut butter is really good. It doesn't seperate or clump up like most natural peanut butters and is easy to spread.)
Suggestion 2: try a different culture. Asian or mexican food can be made with all sorts of foods you've never heard of and your body hasn't developed a sensitivity to. Be daring! Allergy safe food can taste really boring, learn what seasonings your girls like and will eat.
Suggestion 3: include the girls. I've heard that if the child can participate in the food decisions and or preparation they are more likely to enjoy eating it. Maybe try an adventure out to a local farmer's market to see if there is anything they would like to try.
Good Luck! It's hard work, but so worth it.

Hi A., I have been on a whole foods/ wheat and gluten free diet for almost 3 years now...Annie's makes yummy W/GF mac and Cheese....introduce yummy avacodos...try W/GF tortillas with blac k beans and cheese....there is so much out there now...I love Almnd mik as I too do not tolerate whole milk...our 1 year old and even 17 year old eat W/gF pasta...the brown rice is the best...then I make a flour mixture that is excellent to bake with...Hope this helps....Fruits too....yummy! Have a healthy day, N.

1 / 3