I Have a Five Year Old Having Repeated Headaches...

My five year old daughter is continually getting headaches and the doctor cannot find a reason as to why she is having them. If anyone out there has any clue what could be causing these headaches, please help. She is not on any medication, does not need glasses, no allergies to my knowledge. She is missing so much school because of these headaches, please help!!

Well, I had to go and pick my daughter up at school again yesterday because of, you guessed it, another headache. She had a severe headache on saturday, to where she couldn't move, open her eyes, and every little noise bothered her. So I had her lay in "mommy's" bed with the curtains drawn, gave her a dose of children's motrin, and she fell asleep, two hours later she was fine. My daughter has an appointment to get a CT scan this thursday. Here's hoping they can find what's causing the headaches and fix the problem. Thank you everyone for your help, it's greatly appreciated! I'll let everyone know how her CT scan comes out. Thanks again!

Hi M..
Has her doctor done any other diagnostic tests, such as a cat scan. I don't want to scare you, but until all the tests are done, you won't know what it is.
Also, like the other response, it could be migraines.
N.

Hello M.,
If I were you I would get a consult with a Neurologist. It's better to be safer than sorry. It is very uncommon for a child at that age to get headaches. Also take her to an Opthamologist to get her eyes tested. The common Snellen Eye Exam cannot guarentee that there are underlying issues. Don't stop seeking medical care just because one doctor say there is nothing wrong. Good luck and I hope things get better!!

i dont know what could cause thembut i do know that a 2 and a half yr old at my church gets migraines and that if he tells us(in childcare during church services) that we are to put his number up because if it gets too bad he will get sick. also look into sinus issues. ive had sinus problems since i was a child... finally thanks to my awesome ENT at portsmouth naval, i was bale to have sinus surgery and when i do get sinus infection they are far less worse than theynormally are. just an idea.

Children, even as young as your daughter, can have migraine headaches. I would recommend that you take your child to a pediatric neurologist. They can run some tests and be able to determine more what is causing the headaches. There are medications on the market that should be able to help. Good luck.

Hi M.. If you have exhausted all of the medical avenues available to you, I would look at what's happening at school. My son had repeated stomach aches complete with diarrhea that turned out to be because he was being bullied at school and didn't want to go. He also wouldn't do his homework because he knew that he'd have to stay in at recess to make it up, therefore avoiding the bully. He was 9 at the time.

I tell you this story so that you understand that I'm not saying it's "all in her head." Sometimes kids have real physical symptoms that are a way to cope with a problem they can't control. I would certainly have her tested as far as I could to rule out some serious medical conditions. Then I think I'd have a frank talk with her teacher.

Good luck with this, it's no fun when our kids are in pain. I hope she feels better soon.
~E.

I once heard another parent describe virtually this exact situation. The child ended up going to a nutritionist and it was determined that it was her diet. She was eating peanut butter sandwiches almost every day, and she was not allergic or anything, her diet just had too much or too little of something. In the absence of any other symptoms or health problems, perhaps you could explore this possibility with your regular doc. Keep a journal of the foods your child eats for a week or so. Don't know if its the right answer, but it's something to consider.

Does she get headaches when she's not at school, say on weekends when she wants to do something fun? I know nothing of your daughters condition but was just wondering if it is a response to something stressful or fearful at school, a physiological response to an external problem? wish you the best!

My son had these and I had to FIND the issue myself... the doctors told us alllll the same things you have been told... but, doing my OWN trial and error.. I found it was allergies to certain foods. CORN (any corn product, including popcorn and corn oil) is a MAJOR headache causer for MANY people including kids... also CHOCOLATE! My son learned quickly that even though he loves these things, he steers clear of them. The little boy next door found that he is slightly LACTOSE intollerant, and that causes him headaches... ALSO, old pillows, dustmites, or even MOLD any where in the house can cause headaches... We are VERY clean people, but once when my husband and I were constantly waking up with headaches I finally started doing everything to find what it was. Bought new pillows, sheets, etc, washed everything every other day,... then when doing my regular weekly house cleaning I went to dust all the blinds... I raised them up to find... you got it MOLD growing all across the BOTTOM of the window... once that was washed off we no longer had the morning headaches. weird huh! Pet dander can cause it to... she may not be allergic to the animal, but when it's so dry in the winter time pets have a lot more dander... I use Head and SHoulders on our dog in the winter time!!! Just try these things and see... and let the teachers know so that they can also help... no point in NO chocolate or corn at home if the teacher gives it out! .. peanuts.. thats another source... do take them ALL away for a month... let her know she didnt' do anything wrong you just want to see if any are causing the headaches...if they don't go away it's something else.. if they do, then you put ONE thing at a time back into her diet (one a week). hope this helps.. .it sure helped my son.

M.,
My daughter was having headaches everyday for a long time and her regular doctor said she didn't know why either. Of all people the school nurse let me know of some problems that might be in the house and foods that she was eating that might cause problems too. I put her on Children's Claritin once a day and she has not had problems since. The Children's Claritin was a life saver! I was unable to come up with any foods but Hepa filter in your HVAC (heating and air conditioning) system might also help. I hope that this helps you and your daughter.

1 / 3