7 Year Old Having Daily Headaches

Hi.. My daughter who is 7 has been having headaches, i took her to the eye dr. and she did need glasses but she still is complaining about headaches, when she wakes up in the morning, at school and at home. I don't want to freak out and think tumor, but is there other reasons for daily headaches in a lil one like sinus, allergies or tension? I am nervous but trying not to be!

Thanks for all the responses so far.. it helps to know she probably doesn't have a tumor!!.. and I am getting her to the dr. asap!! keep up the encouragement i need it

and the only dramatic thing that has happened to her was in Kindergarten her friend died in the hallway right beside her... it was almost two years ago... maybe she is still in some sort of depression?

Thank you all for all your responses!! I took her to the Dr. today and she had strep throat!!.. but they are also sending her for a CT scan next week to rule out any kind of tumor or anything.. so i will keep you updated!!

I didn't read all the responses and I see you have followed up with a doctor, but I immediately thought- allergies. That was a big problem for me that came out in sore throats and headaches through my youth!

I wouldn't want to worry you unnecessarily. Mothers tend to default to that position anyway, but I would see a neurologist to be on the safe side. I would consider imaging - probably a CAT w/ contrast to exclude the possibility of a tumor. You also need to exclude Dx such as migraines, sinus infections, allergies, etc. Unfortunately, in my experience, doctors are too quick to default to a Dx of tension in little girls. I wouldn't be so willing to accept that explanation without ruling out the more worrisome issues first. Tension is, of course, also worrisome. Having a friend die in the hallway right beside a child who is of Kindergarten age sounds extremely traumatic. Regardless of the outcome of your testing, I would pursue some type of play therapy to help her express any unresolved issues from this tragedy. One warning, I would not take her to a therapist who insists that you leave the room. If the professional isn't willing to have you present or have you view the therapy situations through a two-way mirror, then don't agree to it. I could share at least five unrelated stories of friends who opted for this scenario in the name of mental health and their children are now more traumatized as they are victims of sexual predators.

Do you have a relaxing bedtime ritual with a warm bath, reading or prayer time, etc.? Do you sit with your daughter and color pictures or Play-Dough with her and allow her time to share thoughts that are too overwhelming to be put to words? Is there a dynamic at school that is bothering her or any stress in the home? These are simply questions that may give you ideas. When my son was little and having problems, everyone was quick to "mother bash." Your concern and proactive approach will yield much info.

God bless you as you advocate for your child,

E.

P.S. Along the way, don't be surprised if you ruffle feathers. Most doctors don't like to questioned. If you're not happy, keep looking for answers and never do anything counterintuitive!

My daughter went through all of this and ended up getting glasses she still had her headaches. I called back the eye doctor and he said they would go away when her eyes would adjust to the glassed of correcting her vision. Tell her to hang in there if this doesnt work maybe have her looked at by your family practioner for stress related headaches.

I'm 30-years-old now, but my migraines and headaches started at age 4. They were being caused by smoke (my step-dad smoked in the house and car). I also have scoliois (curvature of the spine) that wasn't discovered until I was 11. When your back/spine is out of line, it can cause headaches. My mom took me to a neurologist when I was 16. He did a few short motor tests to rule out a tumor. He said that my headaches were probably caused mostly by what I ate....chocolate, nuts, and cheese.

Is there any major changes going on in your daughter's life? Death, divorce, change of school, new sibling? She could be really stressed about something.

Does she grind her teeth at night? This could cause a headache.

I would recommend a trip to the pediatrician and chiropractor.

Hello M.,

I had the same issue with my 7 yr old. I took her to the dr because they where making her vomite. They said that it could be caused by some of the foods she is eating. To take notes of what she eats that day and then the next day do something completely different. Then you can start eliminating some of the foods. I found that my daughter if she had to much dairy it would give her a headache.

Think about having her tested for migranes. Does anyone in the family have them. If not, it doesn't matter, she could still be having migranes. I was diagnosed with them at the age of 5, and my son was diagnosed with them at the age of 7, but yet, my mother wasn't diagnosed until she was in her 40's. If it is that they can give her some meds to prevent them. Talk to your doctor about that. It could also very well be depression. That is alot for a 5 year old to take on. To see a friend die beside her, she probably has alot going on in her mind. It would be benificial for her to talk to some sort of a councilor. I hope she gets to feeling better. That breaks my heart. My prayers go out to you and her.

I would have to suggest that they are allergy related. My ENT said he has seen an increase of patients because of the unusual year we have had. I have been having sinus headaches myself. I would look into it and see what the dr. says.

Have you had her eyes checked. It could be she is having vision problems.

1 / 3