How to soothe teething pain for a 2 year old?

My son is just turning 22 months and I think he is starting to get his 2 year molars. He just got his top and bottom eye teeth and it feels like he has been teething forever! Does the timing seem right on this, to be cutting those last molars about now? This last bout of teething has really been the most painful for him and I am just wondering if this is normal.

Summary

Keep lots of cold rags or iced teething chews handy to ease the pain. If the pain really hurts try Tylenol. Just comfort him with cuddles, soothing music and rock him when the pain is overwhelming for him. If nothing works, consult with your pediatrician.

Thanks all!

Timing does seem about normal. Eye teeth are the hardest to get in for some reason, the molars probably won't be as bad. They chew where the molars come in, making it much easier to break them through. Good luck.

Completely normal! They are his 2 yr molars after all! My daughter got hers at 18 mos & my son's are still slowly coming in at 28 mos.
Brekka

This is totally normal. The molars were the worst for us too. I used baby Tylenol at bedtime, and Anbesol during the day. On really bad and restless nights, I used the nighttime Anbesol formula. A nurse friend of mine told me to be careful with those numbing gels...if it slips down their throat and numbs them, they can choke or have problems swallowing until it wears off. So use it sparingly.

My cousin told me about those natural teething tablets found at most pharmacies, but those didn't work for us.

A cold/damp washcloth stored in the freezer is soothing for them to gnaw on.

You can try a gel teether soaked in ice water, and ice cubes or chips in their water filled sippy or bottle helps too.

My son had ALL his teeth BEFORE he was 2 yrs old INCLUDING his 2 yr old molars! Teeth grow in when they grow in. Better now than later, right? Keep lots of cold rags or iced teething chews handy to ease his pain. If the pain really hurts try tylenol. Just comfort him with cuddles, soothing music and rock him when the pain is overwhelming for him. He will be glad you did! Good Luck!...T.

My son turns 2 tomorrow and I noticed that one of his second molars is in but not the others. So I think you are on track... Maybe double check with your dentist?

My second child started getting her 2 year molars around 18 mos so I would say your child's molars could very well be ready!

My kids used a homoepathic tablets called teething tablet by Hylands I bought them at a natural foods store but Target and Walgreens and Snyder's now carry them. It was great. Liz S.

Yes, the timing is right for 2 year molars. I thought the eye teeth were bad, until those came in. They seemed to be the worst for our son. Each child is so different though. The only thing that really helped him was Ibuprofen. That can be tough on stomachs, so I tried to use it mainly at night. The only other thing was distration and patience. It felt like he was teething forever, but we did get through it. Good luck.

Hi A.! Yes I think it's normal. I have a 2 1/2 year old and she is now finally popping out those last molars. It's been over a month now and we are waiting on the last tooth to break skin. When it started to happen she became ultra crabby and sometimes restless at night. The worst is when she refused to brush her teeth anymore because her teeth hurt her so bad. We almost gave up that these teeth were even coming! LOL It's been probably almost a year since her last tooth came in! These molars took FOREVER!

1 / 3