How to Get the Mildew Smell Out of My Washing Machine

Hi Mamma's-

My frontloader washing machine really smells like mildew, and there is a little bit of mildew on the rubber lining. How do I the mold off and make my clothes smell good again. I've tried vinegar endlessly. I've tried scrubbing the rubber w/ a toobrush and have run just vinegar with hot water.

Hi Everyone-

Thank you all so much for your incredible suggestions. This forum really is wonderful!! I ended up trying Affresh and it worked great! I was going to Lowes that day anyway so it really worked out. The package came with 3 disks and the directions said if you are having a problem to run 3 consecutive cycles, using a tablet each time. The first cycle I ran it still had the smell. THe second it had lessened and the third completely got rid of the odor!! I now am leaving the door open as well. I went out of town last week and a friend stayed here. When I came home I noticed the door was closed, which kinda bummed me out! When I opened it, there was no odor!!! Yaay! Thanks again all!!

I get the same problem. I never let the door stay closed. I squeeze a wash cloth into the corner, by the hinge, to keep it from closing. Also, I spray Lysol (the aerosol kind) in it every time I finish a load. That keeps is clean. Good luck!

I have front loaders too and I have a "cleaning" cycle that run about once a month with 1/2 bleach. Also, try to keep the door open to dry after you use it; airing it out will help reduce the mild loving environment.

Affresh is made specifically for this issue. Our washer smelled bad but this totally cleaned it and now I use it regularly (once a month). You can buy it at Home Depot and I've bought it at Gelson's too. Highly recommend it. www.affresh.com

Hello S.. My two "tried and true" laundry remedies are vinegar or ammonia. Since the vinegar isn't working, try an empty load with a little laundry detergent, and a full bleach tray of ammonia. If that doesn't work, I have no idea :( I bought one of those machines a year ago and haven't had that problem, and am NOT looking forward to it, so you'll have to let us know what works :)

I haven't read other responces-but, this is what works for me----Sears sells a washing machine cleaner. Run it through the machine. AND never shut the door to the machine or the detergent slot unless you are running a load. Always leave them open. Those 2 things should solve your problem (I had the same thing happen to me)

A couple other things can help-empty the washing machine as soon as possible, and I run a load of towels w/ Pinesol every so often. I have no idea if it is HE, but, I don't do it often. I have had to periodically do the washing machine wash, maybe 2-3 times a year. Good luck.

Run a normal hot cycle in the washing machine (without clothes) and put bleach in the dispenser instead of soap. Some newer machines have a cleaning/sanitizing cycle on them. Use a toothbrush and bleach or a household cleaner with bleach in it to get rid of the mildew on the rubber gasket. Good luck!

Hi S. - I have the exact same problem with my front loader washing maching and it has been driving me crazy. I have tried to clean it several times. I was thinking it must be a huge design flaw. Please let me know if anyone has any good advice for you. I would love to hear.

Best,

L. Cabanes

If your washing machine is like mine you should also have a small panell to the bottom left of the machine near the floor, which contain a small capped tube that needs to be pulled our and drained periodically. Water from the rubber rings seemes to drain off there. I have frequently had this problem especally after I have washes rugs, and like you I tried vinager and baking soda to clean away the mildew and abait the smell. You will notice the difference, also leave the door on the machine open after a wash

1 / 3