How Often Do You Bath Your Kids?

I know this question has been asked before, but I like to get fresh opinions. I am a full time working mom of two under 2 and my husband is working at least 2 nights a week. I personally shower at about every other day, unless I run and then I have to shower.

My kids are another story. I dont know how often people bath and how some people find time to do it every single night! Where in the world do you find the time?!

Every night with very few exceptions. I don't want any of my kids to be known as the "smelly kid" at school! Their dad and I both usually shower twice a day, so bathing daily is just habit for us- it doesn't really take that long.

My kids are 2.5 and 5 so usually 2-3 baths a week. More if they get dirty, the toddler wants to comb her hair with a fork at dinner, etc. Occasionally only 1 bath in a week for my older one (his hair looks good for longer) especially in the dead of winter when I don't want to be cold at night.

I work FT too, and my almost 4 year old gets a bath every night. It's just part of the routine, after dinner and before bed. I don't always wash her hair though, that usually gets done every 3 days, she has nice dry hair that only looks better the longer it goes without washing, lol.. but her bath routine is 10-15 minutes, I wash her quick and then she plays while I do dishes. Her bathroom is right next to the kitchen, so I feel as if I'm right there with her, yet I get to clean up the dishes from dinner too, win-win :)

Daily. I also worked full time, with a husband who worked 12-14 hours a day. I found the time because it's important! No one wants to be around a smelly child (or adult, for that matter).

I've taught secondary school (7-12) for the last 19 years. Even in jr. high and high school, I STILL have kids who don't understand the value of a daily shower and we all suffer. With classes at 30+ students, I can't get the ventilation system to move air fast enough to compensate for a kid who thinks bathing every other day is ok. It's worse if it's a girl on her menses. Sadly, air freshener is disallowed because kids are sensitive to it. Thank goodness my classroom is right next to a door leading to the outside. When kids are particularly rank, I can open my classroom door and the door to the outside and hope for the best.

I once had to have the "shower and soap daily" talk with a bunch of 7th graders. One boy, bless his heart, raised his hand and said, "Mrs. F, I thought baths were what you took on Saturday night before church on Sunday! Do I really need to take one DAILY?!?!?!" Oh, my...

Last year, I had two students--a junior and a freshman--who were very smelly. The junior took pride in his awful smell. He's not very well liked to begin with and this compounded an already tense situation. He wore his smell like a badge of honor, goodness knows why. The girl...well, I don't think her parents ever shared the joys of daily bathing or deodorant. It was a sad day in class when this youngster choose to wear tank tops.

I guess the bottom line is we find time and means for the important things. IMHO, a daily bath is one of those important things.

When my kids were young, they didn't get bathed every night... it depended on what all they did that day, and whether or not they were actually "dirty".

Adults bathe/shower more frequently because the bacteria on their skin, as they reach puberty, produce more odor. Children really don't need to be bathed that frequently.... it can dry their skin. (Body odor is actually caused by the bacteria feeding on the sweat.) Here's an interesting article about the bacteria/sweat interaction....

http://www.askmen.com/sports/health/43_mens_health.html

As they go through puberty, you may want to encourage daily showers/baths. It is amazing how stinky middle school students can get, just in daily activities...not including sports or PE!

Every day.
Bath time was part of our bedtime routine.
After being at daycare/school all day it was great to wash away germs/muck to be nice and clean for story time/bedtime.

You should not bath your children every night, it's really bad for their skin. When my kids were that young, about every 3 days. Of course, it would also depend upon what their day was like and how dirty they got. Or in the summer if it was a really hot, sticky day they would either get a quick bath or a good wipe down.

My daughter is 4 and for us right now, it's Sunday night and Wednesday night. She has preschool Mon - Thurs, so the Sunday night bath is for before starting the school week Monday. Then Wed night she has a pee-wee soccer class that gets her pretty hot and sweaty, and by that time she is due for a bath anyway, so that's her Wed night bath. She did get them sometimes more often during the summer because she was playing outside and swimming more and getting dirty. She likes to play in the tub a long time - I swear she would stay in there for hours if I let her. Can't imagine going through that every night!

1 / 3