How Much Water Should an 11 Month Old Drink?

Hi Mamas, How much water should I be giving my 11 month old? She still gets most of her nutrition from breast milk although she is eating more solids everyday. Thanks, R.

I didn't really give any water to my babies until after one years old. My doctor said all they needed was food and formula (I only gave it if they were a little constipated or sick). Even after one, it was mostly rice milk and some water.

Typically: None.

Children under the age of 5 REALLY need the fats in their diet they get from milk (for the mylenization of the nerves). When milk changes from being primary nutrition source to solids, it's very very important to keep it as the primary hydration source as MUCH as possible.

Now, this changes in the desert (or in extreme heat) and for formula fed little ones... but ideally animal milk should be the major H20 source for at LEAST the first 2 years, and preferably for the first 5.

no more than 1-2 ounces a day... she should be getting it all from your milk.

Oh gosh, we always had water available to our daughter and she would drink when she was thirsty. Never measured the amount. I wouldn't focus on ounces, but rather on whether she seems well-hydrated.

I can't remember for sure but I think it was 4 oz. My doctor told us what to offer her. Ask your doctor.

This is what I was told: 1 ounce per month - so 11 ounces a day.
It's important to start a healthy habit of drinking water early - my kids are all great water drinkers!
However, if your child is underweight, you may want to do less. Water can be filling, and she may take less formula and solids. And, if she needs that calories, that might not be good.
We made ONE water bottle, or cup at this age, and filled it with the daily allowance of water and used it throughout the day. Once it was gone, we didn't give anymore. And, if it didn't get drank, then we would try to encourage them to finish it up in the evening.

Water is not real priority for now... breastmilk/Formula is.
And yes, as Riley mentioned, the "fats" in it is also mega important for brain development as well. Thus the reason for "whole" milk after 1 years old. It is NOT just for the calcium content.

For the 1st year of life, per our Pediatrician, breastmilk/Formula is the PRIMARY source of nutrition for a baby, NOT solids and NOT other liquids.

All the best,
Susan

i don't think you have to give water if they're still breastfeeding regularly.

1 / 3