How Much Clothing Should We Have??

How much clothing do your kids have? We have 2 princesses...1 & 5, and a house OVERFLOWING with toys & clothes (I've already done garage sales and charity giveaways this year. I got rid of probably 9 boxes of clothes and toys, and you CANNOT tell at all!) Help! A little guideline on how much is appropriate to keep would be great! :)

stop shopping
:)
so for two kids, I would have 2 pjs each, lots of underwear and undershirts. then for summertime, each should have 7 outfits (1 for every day), one pair of sandals, flip flops and sneakers.
for winter months, less outfits, same pjs, 1 pairs each shoes and boots.
we have much more than what I have stated, but I plan on scaling down as well.

How much space is devoted to clothes that shouln't be? Can all of it fit in a closet or drawers, not the floor?My oldest has a huge closet, so she has more clothes - 100 tops, 20 jeans, 30 dresses, etc. And more importantly, she really wears them all (we are hot year round). My two youngest girls share a closet and only wear about half the clothes. So, every month or so, I prune back. My mother can't help herself when it comes to a bargain, so graciously accept it, then donate to Salvation Army if it's not worn in a few months. I can still go a month without doing laundry!
Toys are harder since we don't have a closet to store them in. But "a place for everything and everything in its place" works for us. They love to play outside, which doesn't require a lot of toys.
It gets easier as they get older (electronics don't take up a lot of space) and they can tell you what they don't want, versus you trying to guess, then finding out they "just can't live without it:".

Oh, I'm pretty much in your shoes, but I've got 3 little girls: 8 months, 3 years and almost-5. And yeah, it's like Disney Princess threw up all over the house! haha

I'm trying to pare down what my kids have and my oldest entering kindergarten this year is a great chance - she's pretty much outgrown everything else she has! So I'm going to buy her enough clothes to be able to wear a different outfit for 7-10 days (depending on if I find some great deals!). They'll be mix and match-able, but I think that should be sufficient....maybe! haha

My 8 month old has SO much stuff (hand-me-downs and new) that she *maybe* wears about 1/3 of it regularly.

I generally have 5 pairs of jeans or shorts for each boy, plus a pair of dress pants, a pair of khakis or cords, and a few pairs of athletic pants or shorts. Same for shirts and sweatshirts, although they seem to manage to pick up a lot of tee-shirts along the way from various activities. It's more complicated for girls because you have the options of dresses or skirts with leggings or tights too!

I would just figure out how many outfits you go through in a week (including random wardrobe changes and spills/dirt changes, back up clothes for daycare etc.) and then add in 1 or 2 dressy outfits. If you do laundry more often than weekly (we do weekly only because our septic system is shot so we have to use the laundromat) this will leave you more than enough clothes.

We have friends who have passed along clothes to us and I just can't imagine what would possess someone to have literally 26 pairs of the same size shorts (3T - these are not kids who are having diaper blow outs), dozens of shirts, 8 or 10 pairs of pajamas, etc. I have taken what they have given us and clothed not only my own child but have then passed along enough clothes to provide seasonal wardrobes to one or two other friends.

Less is definitely more - over the years we've learned to channel gift giving in such a way that we are not overloaded with stuff. If we know that people are going to give the kids clothes or toys for holidays/birthdays etc. then we gift them "experience" things (music lessons, skating lessons - and of course if they enjoy them we continue to pay for classes above and beyond the "gift" amount, a day at a water park, etc.) or things like a swing set, ATV or bike. If we know that there is something they would all enjoy, we suggest a group gift from the grandparents, who like to make sure that they'll use what they get - so this is how we've gotten the Wii, a knob hockey table, a basketball hoop etc. When people ask us what they want and we really have all the toys and clothing they can need or use, we suggest gift cards to the movies, bowling alley, or bookstore or suggest that they take the child(ren) somewhere like to a movie or out for ice cream or whatever if they are the kind of people who like to spend time with the kids. When you have kids of the same gender like you do (I have 3 boys) then you get to a point where you can't possibly use another "thing" but events and adventures are always welcome.

I know that's a bit of a tangent - sorry for rambling!

I think this is really an individual thing. We donate things as our kids outgrow them and they get clothing as gifts sometimes. I only buy clothes if they don't have enough seasonally appropriate things that currently fit. I've learned over the years to not overdo it but they're not in the sizes for long anyway. I used to try to by at the end of the season for next year to catch a deal but it seems to backfire more often than not and they don't fit for the correct season so now I buy only what we need when we need it. I don't think there are guidelines on what is "appropriate."

I'm a man. My answer has to do with the amount of closet space you have and the amount of money in your budget.

To me, a girl your kids ages need doesn't need more than 7 dresses and 7 other outfits. And that is if your husband makes lots and lots of money and doesn't care how you spend it. That is 7 outfits for the year, not each week or month. You should be saving the 5 year olds out fits so the 1 year old can wear them.

You don't have anything on your profile. So I have nothing to go on, but my girls traded outits with other girls via my wife and the other girl's moms. That saves lots of money and gives everyone some variety. No one will look down on you because your girls wear the same outfit more then once.

I would suggest you have them wear their clothes longer and take some of the dress money and put it in a ROTH IRA for yourself and your husband.

Good luck to you and yours.

I think if you are overflowing...you have too much. :) It is totally a personal choice.
We have two girls (almost 4 and just over 1). Any clothes the 1 year old grows out of is put in a sale and then the rest is donated. We only keep special outfits. If you want to hold onto these clothes for another future child, pare it down to one paper bag full of each size in each season. Ex: 6-9 month summer (short sleeves and shorts); 6-9 month winter (long sleeves and pants)

I have about 2 dresser drawers for each girl's entire wardrobe. That will include most of one season with a few items of the opposite for those crazy weather days. We live in MN.

Ask your oldest what she likes to wear and then pull out your favorite outfits she wears and box up the rest for the 1 year old. If too many, weed out those and donate or sell the items you know she will NEVER wear.

We have a large plastic drawer container to put all dress up dresses and costumes in. If it gets to full, we weed it out. Accessories go in a clear shoe holder that goes over the playroom door.

You have to make your castle comfortable for your princesses and of course, the King and Queen. You have to figure out what is comfortable to your kingdom's liking. :)

Updated

stop shopping
:)

8 - 10 days worth. I say that for washing/trip purposes. I try to only do laundry on Saturdays.

I too have a little princess and just LOVE all of the cute outfits. When she was between birth and a year, I had so many clothes that I literally passed it all on to 5 different babies!

I've tried very hard to limit my impulse buying to stuff she needs as she needs it.

Currently she has 6 nightgowns, 8 pairs of jeans, 9 dresses, 9 shorts, 10 t-shirts, 12 pairs undies, 10 pairs of socks. 4 pairs of shoes.

I try to keep enough clothes so that my boys have at least a week's worth of clean clothes at all times, in case I get sick or something and can't get to laundry. My boys are MESSY and require 2-3 wardrobe changes a day, but I'm sure girls do that much changing daily too, just because.

So, perhaps 14 short-sleeved & 14 long-sleeved shirts, 14 shorts/skirts, 14 long pants, 14 pairs of socks, 7 sets of pajamas, and 3-4 dressy outfits per season.

How is your stuff entering your home? Mostly gifts? Mostly your purchases? Perhaps if they are gifts you can mention to the gift-givers how much stuff your children have and how you have such a hard time managing it. Maybe you can give hints that such gifts are not really needed or helpful.

1 / 3