How Do I Keep My Sunburn from Peeling?

Hi Ladies!
I was at a water park yesterday (it was over 100 here in TX yesterday! ouch!) ALL day, and of course I got me a good burn on my shoulders, chest and face. I've been putting aloe vera gel on it and taking ibuprofen for the pain, but I want to know... how do I keep it from peeling so that I don't burn AGAIN in the Texas sun? I always burn, peel, burn peel... repeat, repeat... I don't ever go tanning and I'm not trying to get a tan (I watched my brother battle cancer... not something I'd set myself up for), and I apply sunscreen often, but when you're out in the Texas sun ALL day, it's pretty inevitable that you'll get a burn. So now, how do I keep it from peeling?
Thanks ahead of time!

Hourly reapplications? Really? I had no idea- but it was evident that I wasn't reapplying often enough when I went home looking like a lobster. Luckily, my kids avoided the burn but got great tans, lol.

Ina- right- I'm going to float down the lazy river with my shade umbrella. That's practical. I knew I'd get some critics even on a harmless post like this, but goodnight!

I have been a fair-skinned person in California all my life, including several years as a lifeguard in 100+ degree temperatures... so I know a thing or two about sunburns! ;) If you are burned, chances are you will peel. That is because the skin is dead and your body needs to slough it off so new skin can come to the surface.

The way I avoid sunburn is to apply a high SPF sunscreen (50+) and LOTS of it. Think of it this way - you should apply a shot glass of sunscreen (that much! really!) at a time. If you are using less than that, it's not enough. Really slather it on. And then, depending upon how quickly you burn, apply it as often as necessary. For me, it's every hour. For my kids (who are blessed with their father's ability to tan), it's every 2 hours. Wear a hat if you can to protect the top of your head, ears, nose, etc, since those areas burn the fastest.

Also, I read an article recently about different brands of sunscreen - it was from Consumer Reports, I believe - anyhow, they found that some of the higher-end brands don't provide the sun protection that they state on the label. The report found that the best brands were Up-and-Up (the Target brand), No Ad, and CVS' store brand. They all provided the SPF that was stated on the label, AND they stayed on the stated amount of time in the water. Good to know you don't have to spend a ton of $$ to get good sunscreen! :)

Unfortunately you can't prevent peeling. That skin is dead and it will come off. Period. What you can do is minimize the blistery appearance by exfoliating gently once your skin has healed.

I'm also sorry to be harsh, but a sunburn is not inevitable. You simply have to be smart in the sun and use some common sense.
Stay out of the sun during the mid-day. Go inside or hang out in the shade. If you want to be outside and there are no shaded areas, bring your own shade, they come in all forms and sizes.
Reapply sunscreen frequently and use a reasonable SPF (30 is good, anything over 50 is not worth the money). Wear UV blocking clothes and a hat to minimize your exposure.

It is not inevitable that you burn, so be smart and don't become a melanoma statistic.

The lavender oil suggestion is great! It really works! You can also use raw coconut oil and you WILL NOT PEEL. The coconut oil will heal your skin and not hold any heat from the burn in.

I don't think you can, but you can minimize the appearance by moisturizing.

N., get one of those swim shirts! You still have to put sunscreen on under it, but it will protect your shoulders and chest. I promise you, your chest will look much better when you are 60 if you haven't gotten sun on it.

Here's something I read that might help you:
"recent research at the University of California, Riverside, indicates that sunscreen needs to be reapplied within 2 hours in order to remain effective. Not reapplying could even cause more cell damage than not using sunscreen at all, due to the release of extra free radicals from those sunscreen chemicals which were absorbed into the skin.[6] Some studies have shown that people commonly apply only 1/2 to 1/4 of the amount recommended to achieve the rated sun protection factor (SPF), and in consequence the effective SPF should be downgraded to a square or 4th root of the advertised value."

(I don't have a clue about the square or 4th root - LOL! But I'd wear a swim shirt! They dry very quickly when you swim, and you can wear it all day!)

Updated

Lavender essential oil works tremendously on sunburns. My children have had a couple of sunburns already this year, and we applied the lavender oil. The burns faded pretty much overnight, and they are tanned instead. I am amazed at how well it has worked. We don't really use anything else.

You should be slathering on antioxidants as well to try to combat some of the free radicals and oxidative damage that the sun has done to your skin. You should also be eating as much of the really strong antioxidant foods as you can if you are going to let yourself burn so much. Try to have things like blueberries, strawberries, pomegranate juice, green vegetables, green tea an dark chocolate.

Ans seriously think about wearing a hat. Unless you are meditierranean (Italian or Greek) you are most definitely going to age muc much faster-each burn counts.

Hourly, most defintiely, yes... especially at a water park! Sunscreen washes off even faster when get in the pool or sweat, not to mention water reflects the sun's rays and increases your burn potential.

Growing up blonde and fair-skinned in TX and spending my summers boating on the lake, it is totally possible to not burn. Reapply sunscreen often, wear a hat, invest in a UV-protectant rash guard, look into zinc oxide facial sunscreen, and did I say, reapply your sunscreen?

In the meantime, there's no way to avoid peeling (sorry) but you can ease the pain with cool compresses, Solar-caine, drink tons of water, and apply aloe vera like it's going out of style!

1 / 3