How Do I Get My 4 Month Old to Feed from the Bottle?

My 4 month old daughter is too used to the breast and will not feed from the bottle. When we try and give it to her, she fusses, screams and cries until we give her the breast. We've even tried Avent, Dr. Brown, Nuk, etc nipples to see which one is closest to the real thing. We've even tried feeding her with the bottle in the morning when she is the most hungry but that doesn't work either. Will she get better if I start feeding her rice cereal? This makes it really hard to leave her with a babysitter. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if anyone has suggestions on how to contain eczema and cradle cap that would be helpful as well.

Thank you to everyone that responded! I tried the breast flow bottle by first years and also tried to dip the nipple in a little sugar or gerbers apple juice and she took it!!! We're still working on getting her use to it more. The last time we did it she threw up all of the milk. Not sure if thats from drinking too fast? With a little practice i think she'll get it.

Thanks again everyone for all the great advice! By the way, she just rolled over for the first time last night! =)

You may not be able to. My son would never accept a bottle. It didn't matter what I put in the bottle or what kind of bottle. We went to a cup, it was messy but he was willing to take it. He still fussed a lot when I was away but I think that I had a really nice baby sitter she put up with it. I have always just gone along with my children's requests.

My daughter also wouldn't accept a bottle at about the same age (she was closer to 5 months). Someone suggested we try a sippy cup instead, and it worked, after some coaxing.

I experienced the same thing. For the cradle cap and eczema I used olive oil. Yes, the regular olive oil you buy at the grocery store. I used it for the first year of her life and she never lost any hair, never had cradle cap and her skin cleared right up. As for the bottle, I had a hard time as well, What I had to do was like you said try it when the baby is really hungry and even when she/he is not. i first start trying at about 3 months and it took a whole lot of patience so just be calm, it will happen. I personally don't think the cereal will help with the transition, it may even cause other problems. Are you trying to switch from breast milk to formula? Does the baby suck a pacifier?

My son had really bad cradle cap and his doctor said to use Neutragena T-Gel shampoo and it worked. Don't know how to contain the eczema as he still has it at the age of 9. I'm sure lotion would help my son but he refuses to put it on. You could try Aveeno oatmeal lotion, that works on my really dry skin.

Have you tried someone else feeding her the bottle? Or holding her out and away from you while she does it? I would try having dad do it and hold her away from him....like her feet in his belly area....this helped my daughter...plus if you have a grandma or someone else try it...it might help....she knows what she likes and she knows who gives it to her....she may just be too young too........

Hey J.,

I had the same problem with my second child. I found one bottle that she liked that mimics the my breast the most, but of course Gerber doesn't seem to have it anymore. The next best thing I found was from Playtex. It's a VentAir system. Most of them are drop-in bottles (the one with bags) but I found one at Target that was a normal one. The nipple itself mimics the width of the areola and the tip is smaller, like my nipple is naturally.

The key is to pump your own milk and feed it through the bottle, that way baby only has one thing to get used to. You might want to solicit some help, your mother or if your husband is patient enough, and have that person try it when you are gone, so that there is no alternative. It took my daughter forever so don't give up hope. Hopefully yours is easier.

Check out "The Baby Book" by, William Sears MD and Martha Sears RN. There is a section on getting breastfed babies to take a bottle and also what to do for cradle cap and eczema. I've found this to be a valuable resource of information. They also have a fantastic web site where you can find answers to these and all of your questions. www.AskDrSears.com Quite handy for those situations that arise after office hours to help you determine whether a call needs to be made or can wait.

I did this with both kids and have passed on same advice and replies were that it worked. Take a shirt mom wears and whomever feeds baby bottle should wrap the shirt around the bottle or whatever to fake out baby. Of course mom needs to not be in the vacinity for this to work.

As for skin issues, if it is getting to point of concern, please contact a dermatologist. I waited too long, getting bad advice from some of Sactos best pediatricians. By the time I went to specialist my son had open, bleeding wounds that peds thought was not big deal. Derm had situation in remission within 3 days with use of new non-steroidals that were amazing. I tried altering my diet, changing laundry soap, you name it nothing worked. The derm was a blessing.

I had the same problem with my son. A friend of mine suggested Born Free brand from Whole Foods Market. He didn't take that for few days but I kept offering it and it finally worked out. The good thing about that brand is that it doesn't have a controversial chemical that most of the other brands have. Hope it works for you.

1 / 3