Home Daycares and Maternity Leaves

I provide daycare for three families in my home. I love all of the moms I work with and the kids are all great as well. One of my full time parents will be taking a maternity leave this fall. She does not plan on bringing her child to me at all during the leave. That puts me in a position were I will be loosing 1/3 of my salary for 12 weeks. What do other home daycare providers due in this situation. Normally parents will bring their child at least part time while they are on leave, so I will not be loosing the entire paycheck from that family. I would love to ask her to pay full or half, but I do not want to loose her or be unfair to her!

I have a written policy that the ONLY time I am not paid is when I take off.

My families have to pay for all holidays, their vacations, & their time off. If they want their spot held, then they have to pay me. I cannot run a business if I am not paid. My expenses remain the same (for the most part) & I cannot bankrupt my own family by allowing non-payment.

I was paying $700 a month for my oldest at an in home daycare and when I went on maternity leave I paid her $500 and took my oldest twice a week so I could spend time with the baby. Any other place would make her pay full price to hold the spot. I think splitting it may be the best for both,

If you were a daycare center, the mom would be expected to pay all or some of the amount in order to hold the place.

Hi, I'm a daycare provider as well, I just had a mom come back off maternity leave, her 2 year old was only with me maybe 3 days out of the 6 weeks, I was still paid in full. In my contract it states that my fee is not based on attendance, but based on the security of the slot, my fee is 120.00 a week regardless of attendance, the continued payment keeps that slot secure for when the child returns, my parents are all military and they still get their regular pay during their maternity leave, lets just say all three of your familys take a summer vacation then what? I know many providers and they all charge wheater the child is there or not because it's their slot, and you can't fill a slot temporary and then termanate the child when the other one comes back, I have been doing this for 14 years and i have only had a couple people have issues about that so I explained this way. When you rent an apartment you pay your rent every month, if you were to take a month vacation you still have to pay for that month ecven though you didn';t occupy for that month, because it's reserved for you, sweetie it's the same way with daycare children have a reserved spot in your daycare, it has to be paid for, that is not unfair, if you loose her she'll be back because I don't know any providers that don't still charge, and before I did daycare I called around to a lot of daycares and got a lot of advice, I was told they pay wheather the child is there or not, and state that in my contract, by signing the contract they are agreeing to terms of my contract. If you have any more questions you can e-mail me at ____@____.com J. L

Hi!
When I have had this situation I have offered for them to go to Part time during her maternity leave. This way they are still paying you to hold the spot, but they are also getting some time to rest with just the baby and the older child is staying in the daycare routine. I think I did 3 days/week. This seemed fair to all. Also, what if she in the end decides not to come back and you wait all that time without filling the spot. As much as I really like all the families I provide daycare for--my family and business come first!

Hope this helps!

I am guessing that you don't have a contract
with you families. If you do, you must not have
vacation time/ leave tine pay spelled out in
your contract. Unfortunately you have no
right to ask for this after the fact. Your mom
is probably not being payed for her leave
or she is only bring paid s portion. That is
probably why she is not sending her child
to you during her leave. I use to do inhome
daycare and all of that was clear before any
family startedcwith me. Personally I did not
make anyone pay me for their vacations and
I did not charge my families ehen I went on
leave or vacation. I knew that those families
would have to pay someone else when I
wasn't available. But, that wad my choice
and I know of in-home daycare providers
that charge their families while they go on
vacation because they feel they deserve
vacation pay. Once again this is spelled
out in a contract beforehand. I think at this
point it will burn a bridge that you don't want
to burn. Just think after the baby comes
you will be adding income. Chalk this up
to a lesson learned and get yourself a
contract before any new families start
coming in to your home.

My home daycare lady has in her policy book that if you take an "extended" leave where you will not be bringing in the child (i.e. vacations, maternity leave, etc.) that you will pay a reduced rate (for me I have to pay 2/3 of my regular rate) in order for her to hold your spot. Otherwise, she cannot guarantee you a spot when you are ready to return. I think it's unfair for her to expect that she doesn't have to pay you to keep her spot in the daycare while she is on maternity leave. It only seems fair to me as you need a salary to live off of too and if you hold it with no pay, that is money you lose when you could put another kid in her place and make some money. Plus, if she was at a daycare facility she would have to pay full price to keep the spot, whether the kid came or not.

Do you have a policy manual that you give parents when they enroll? If not I would STRONGLY suggest one. My daycare lady was very efficient with everything (from times of service, late fees for picking up kids late, what you are expected to provide and what she is expected to provide, holidays, extended leaves, no show policy, sick policy, etc.). If you have one and you don't have something in there about it, then you might have to just explain to this mom your position on the matter (i.e. you understand that she will be home and can watch her child for free, but this is your living and that you cannot go an extended amount of time without payment so she will either have to pay X amount or you will advertise for her spot and she may potentially have to find another daycare when she is ready to put her kids back in depending on your openings), let her make a decision, and go from there. This is your business, so don't be afraid about hurting someones feelings. Then put something in your policies about extended leaves!

*ADDED: My daycares lady policy is a LOT like Dee's. Even today, I'm at work and my son is having to be watched by a family member because my Daycare lady took the Easter Holiday, which I paid for. She does not make me pay for days that she decides to take off that are not holidays (she takes up to two weeks vacation each year that I do not have to pay for those days) and I get 2 sick days at no charge. But, if I decide to take a vacation or something and won't need her for a full week, I still pay for the days.

In my daycare, I have families pay half of the tuition for an extended leave. During that time they can bring the child for 2 days a week if they want to. The only time I've done this so far has been for a family that goes on sabbatical from December through February each year, so in that case the child didn't come at all, but half tuition (paid before they left) held their spot.

1 / 3