Holding Own Bottle and Sippy Cup

my 12 month old son will not hold his own bottle or sippy cup. I know he can do it because he picks ups his cherrios and other finger foods and feeds himself. Any suggestions.

My son was the same way exactly. I remember seeing kids much younger holding their bottles and thinking "what's the deal?" But eventually he started holding it. Don't remember how old he was, maybe 14 or 15 months. Just something they decide to do when they are ready I guess.

T.,
My oldest son did that, we figured out it was because we were doing it for him so one morning he got up and we just gave him sippy cup (we used the ones from Tupperware if that helps) and let him have a meltdown until he finally started drinking it on his own. Our son had to be taken off the bottle at 6 months due to he kept biting the tops of the nipples off. The first time he did it was in the grocery store, I didn't realize it until he poured his bottle down into the middle of this woman's top and into her bra. Funny, OH YEA but then I had to grab the nipple out of his throat and was like "that's it we are done with the bottle." We left the store and went to my mother's house not far away, she was waiting for us, see the woman he did it to was an old friend of hers and OMG was she ever mad at me. My mother laughed so hard she called my aunt who had to call this woman and calm her down. LOL The woman never spoke to me again. LOL Anyway I got off track, for 6 months we held his cup for him then one day my sister said to me "what the *@&& are you doing, he can hold it himself", so the next day I wouldn't hold it and after an hour he took his cup. Now here we are 25 years later and he is very independent (usually). So give your son the cup today or whenever and don't hold it for him unless his hands are full, hurt, etc. One other thing, be careful when he is running around with his cup, Kenny did that and cut his mouth on it when he fell on it, boy did I ever learn my lesson, mouths bleed like a you know what.
Hugs,

My baby was about 14 months before she would hold her own bottle/sippy. I know she could do it at around 10 months, but she was always too lazy to actually do it. She liked to lean back on me while I held her and fed her, so she just knew better. I would say if you saw him do it, then he will do it when he's ready. =)

If he can, let him. He'll drink when he is thirsty. Give him only water or milk - not juice (so much sugar and food coloring added).

Some kids do this sooner than others. y son who is a bit bigger and faster to learn motor skills was starting to hold his own bottle probably around the time he was sitting up well (6 moths or so). My daughter was later at most things and at 18 months still likes to be held and cuddled when she has a bottle. She has been holding it herself since between 9-12 months but will drop it when she is sleepy (I got a bottle leash for the stroller).

Try giving him a smaller bottle cup or bottle that is not so full (2-3 ounces at a time). You might need to experiment to see which he likes. In our house I gave milk only in bottles and water or anything else in a sippy cup. I also rarely give my toddler juice (only real juice) and didn't start until she was about a year old.

Have you seen him do it at least once? I mean you know that he CAN do it right?? If so, I wouldn't worry too much, except that it could get annoying, especially at 12 months! ;) I agree that maybe he goes for the comfort factor, wanting you to hold him, etc. I would ask your pediatrician what to do, it seems like it could be some drama to go cold turkey on him but maybe at some point you may need too, but possibly he just needs a bit more time. I have heard multiple people say to me that boys are more needy in terms of those things and are slower to do them for themselves...don't know if it's true, but my son just started holding his own bottle recently and he's 10 months, so he's kind of late too!

My son didnt start holding his own sippy cup until he was 14 months old. I think your daughter will hold it on her own when shes ready. My son knew when he was ready and had been holding his own cup ever since.

I think I need more info to really answer this, so sorry but I think off the top of my head that maybe he is just used to you doing it, maybe he likes that you hold him while he drinks, maybe he is looking for drinking time to be snuggle time?

1 / 3