HELP!! Stuck with Gift Cards Will Never Use

Ok, I need some advice on what to do. I currently have $200 in Gymboree gift cards and the problem is I NEVER shop at Gymboree for my daughter but could use that money to shop at other stores. What should I do.. can I sell them, has anyone else been in this situation? Is it rude to sell them?

Thanks for the advice, I have decided to sell the gift cards.

Sell them on craigslist for a little less than their value. Be careful when and where you meet someone to make the sale, and only accept cash!

Maybe posting on Craigslist, giving to a charity for a tax write-off, offering to trade for another store (there is a barter section on Craigslist).

Wow lots of responses, if you truly will never use them at Gymboree - yes they are pricey, but have beautiful clothing that lasts and on clearance you could stock up on stuff for next year too. I would go with an online gift card swapping service vs. trying to sell it on ebay- you get charged for selling things on ebay and people on craigslist can be iffy. With the swapping service you can swap for what you will use and you wouldn't be limited to children's clothing shops.

Do you have a specific ethical reason that you do not shop at gymboree? Your daughter is only 4 months old, in the future you may be able to find her something you can dress her in. If not people having babies generally have friends and/or family having babies. Use the cards to purchase gifts for baby showers. You can sell gift cards on-line but do not expect to get anywhere the retail price. Maybe you should be grateful that people were so generous in giving gifts to your daughter and take another look at gymboree with a different attitude. If you can not find anything acceptable consider donating the cards to a homeless shelter or a woman's shelter. I am sure someone there would greatly appreciate your kindness.

I would think certainly you could find some things to buy with the gymboree gift card. If you have a 4 month old daughter they have lots of cute things. And if not maybe you could purchase some gifts for other people - maybe get some Christmas shopping done really early.

For myself I wouldn't sell the gift card - I would think it was rude. I usually write a thank you note after I have used the gift card to let the sender know what I purchased and how much I love it and thank them again for the gift card. But that's just me.

there is a site called swapagift.com where you can swap cards or maybe sell them. i've never used it but i do know you won't get the full amount, like i just looked and they will only pay 65% of your $200 for gymboree. there's probably other sites as well but that's the only one i know. good luck.

I would go to www.plasticjungle.com There you can either let them buy your giftcard for a reduced price, sell it yourself, or trade. There are some really good deals there too!

There are a few different sites that let you sell or trade. You will probably end up with less than $200, but it would be more than zero - which is what the cards are worth to you now, right?

Of course it's rude - akin to regifting or taking it back - but it also (IMO) falls into the category that if the giver doesn't know then no hard feelings. :)

SELL it on EBAY!!! for like 150 -175 I promise people will buy it!

hth
A.

I've heard you can sell them. It isn't rude if you don't go out and tell someone "oh, I sold your gift card." If they want to know what you "got" with the card, tell them what you've spent some of the money for. Try to be kind and thoughtful!

There are stores I can't really identify with very well, and truthfully, most of my little girl's clothes came from a good friend - nearly new! Most of the money I spent went toward kids' books and toys.

:) A.

1 / 3