Help, Somthing to Bring to Potluck, That Is Kid Friendly and Goes with Salmon???

Sorry to ask yet another food question, but i goggled around and couldn't come up with anything. My family is invited to a potluck dinner, where the main course will be grilled Salmon. Not being fish eaters, i have no idea what i should bring that would be appropriate taste/texture wise number one and that my picky kids would eat number two. This is the same vegetarian couple that caused me such stress over the summer. THere will be about 8 other familys, but only one family with young children like mine. And no one is organizing this so i don't know who is bringing what. The hostess, said not to worry because you hardly ever end up with that many people bringing the same thing. That just seems stupid to me.
Right now, i'm thinking dinner rolls, just as a last resort???? I would welcome all suggestions. Thank you so much.

THank you everyone. Judging by responses Mac and Cheese seems to be the number one vote.
DH actually took over, which is fine since this was his function anyways. I fed the kids ahead of time, and Hubby put together a bagged lettuce salad. Our salad was miraclously spruced up with greek olives and tomatoes, which hubby and i don't care for but i'm guessing the vegetarian hostess had on hand and just couldn't resist adding. Just because it amuses me, i need to say there were three rice dishes, each varying slightly by color and amount of pepper( bell pepper, red pepper, bell and red pepper). A relish tray of carrots and cerery and one bowl of homegrown carrots, completed our salmon dinner. opps, I almost forgot the cold dish of cooked white beans garnished with parsley, hmmmmm, don't even know what else to say about that. I did try them, bland but non-toxic.
To give her credit, the hostess was a sweetie and provided goldfish crackers and organic fruit leather for the children, so they were happy.
It was quite an experience to say the least. Not your normal potluck, that's for sure. And believe me if it wouldn't have crushed DH, I would have stayed home. But then i wouldn't have these amusing comments to make. All kidding aside, I think this experience has taught me alot about what i feel comfortable with in regards to planning a "potluck" type of dinner, and also some of the things to consider to make the whole process more enjoyable for guests. Of course all in all, everyone had a lovely evening anyways so maybe it doesn't matter so much, (as long as you serve a strong wine) sorry just couldn't resist :)

Hello Kristi,
How about a cucumber salad? I don't have a recipe, but I just slice a cucumber, slice a sweet (Mayan or vidalia) onion, then mix a little mayo, wine vinegar, parsley flakes, and a little sugar. I keep tasting this dressing to see if it needs more vinegar or sugar. Serve chilled.
You might search for a recipe on google also.
E. B

How about wild rice? A broccoli and cheese dish? What about potatoes? Macaroni and cheese? Fruit salad? A pasta casserole? Rigatoni? The possiblities are endless. My kids love all of these.

How about Mac and cheese? If you make it from scratch, you can get some nice cheddar or something. That goes with anything and is definately kid=friendly.

Whenever I make salmon, I make Parmesan Orzo as a side. It's easy and kids love it (it's similar in taste and texture to mac'n'cheese). You might want to double the recipe for such a large crowd. I've also used vegetable broth in place of the chicken (my sister and her family are vegetarian). Oh, and I never use fresh basil - dried works just as well.

Creamy Parmesan Orzo

Ingredients
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup orzo
1 1/4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 1/4 cups water
1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 1 1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 teaspoons pine nuts, toasted

Preparation

Heat butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add orzo, and cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in broth and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until liquid is absorbed and orzo is done (about 15 minutes). Remove from heat; stir in cheese, basil, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle with the pine nuts. Serve immediately.

How about Mac N Cheese? Here are a couple of good recipes. One has eggs, so if they are strict vegetarians they may not be able to eat it.

Crock Pot Mac and Cheese
* 1/2 pound elbow macaroni
* 4 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
* 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
* 1 1/2 cups milk
* 2 eggs
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Coat the inside of the slow cooker with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, beat eggs with fresh and evaporated milks. Mix in uncooked macaroni and 3 cups shredded cheese. Transfer to slow cooker, and sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
3. Cook on low for 5 to 6 hours. Do not stir or remove lid while cooking.

This recipe is from a restaurant down south somewhere (I got it online). It's the one with eggs in it.

The Lady’s Macaroni and Cheese

4 cups cooked elbow macaroni, drained
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup sour cream
4 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Once you have the macaroni cooked and drained, place in a large bowl and while still hot and add the cheddar. In a separate bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and add to the macaroni mixture. Pour macaroni mixture into a casserole dish and bake for 30 to 45 minutes. Top with additional cheese if desired.

These are both really yummy recipes, but I will say my kids like the crock pot one better.

Whatever you decide to take, try to relax and have fun!

i'm going to post this recipe, because it seems no matter where I go - what type of event- it is a big hit everyone loves - and is easy to make.
Vegetable Pizza
2 pkgs Pillsbury Cresent rolls - roll these out flat on a cookie sheet and bake.
Next mix: 16oz. Cream cheese, 1 cup of Mayo, and 1 pkg. Hidden Valley Ranch Dip mix (powder). Spread this over cooled cresent rolls.
Top with finely shredded cheddar cheese, and assorted vegetables - you can get some off the salad bar that are already chopped for you!
Good Luck.

Not sure how picky your kids are or if they are allergic to anything (I have a very picky eater who is allergic to eggs & nuts, so I just bring what I have to in order to make sure he is fed and everyone understands). But I have a few recipes you might want to try. I don't know if your friends want vegetarian dishes (like can they eat eggs, butter, milk) but here are some recipes. I would also not worry about if your dish "goes" with salmon or not because this is a pot luck, I say whatever anyone brings is fine.

Pineapple Souffle:
- 1 stick of butter (1/2 cup)
- 1 cup of sugar
- 4 eggs beaten
- 1 20 oz ca of pineapple (crushed) - drain the pineapples
- 6 to 8 slickes of stale bread cubed with crusts removed
Mix butter, sugar, pineapple and eggs together. Fold in the bread, pout into heavily greased 1 quart casserole dish and bake at 350 for 1 hour.

Last Minute Lasagna
- 1 26 oz jar pasta sauce
- 1 30 oz bag of frozen large cheese ravioli (unthawed)
- 1 10 oz box of frozen chopped spinach - thawed and squeezed dry (can be left out if kids don't like it)
- 1 8 oz bag of mozzerella
- 1/2 cup of grated parm
Heat oven to 350. Coat a 13 x 9 baking dish w/cooking spray. Spoon in 1/3 of sauce. Arrange 12 ravioli on top and scatter w/ spinach and then w/ cheese. Cover that with another layer of ravioli and cheese and sauce. Cover with foil and bake for 25 min. Uncover and bake 5 to 10 more minutes or until bubbly.

I also have a recipe for a Ham & Cheese Salad, Fiesta Chicken Pasta, Summer Cobb Salad, & Chedder Cheese Pull Apart rolls. Let me know if you want those recipes and good luck!!

twice baked potatoes, or homemade macaroni and cheese. Maybe stuffed shells. or even marianated mushrooms. or you can always do a salad. maybe potato salad or noodle salad or regular lettuce salad. that's what I usually do with fish.or you could make or bring a crab dip. Hope I was some help. K..

A side dish of penne with vodka cream sauce.

went back for the receipe for you. Very easy to make, alcohol cooks off and it compliments the salmon.

I posted becuase I used to work for Poli's 20 years ago and this was a very very popular dish.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/pe...

Kristi,
Lol.... sorry but your post was funny. OK, seriously tho, have you thought about maybe not going? Save yourself the hassle rent a movie that night make popcorn and throw in some M&M's with it and have a movie family night!
Potluck with fish???
Christina

Do something real EASY, like cucumber salad. Cucumbers go great with salmon and it's also very refreshing. Peel and slice the cucumbers fairly thin. Add sour cream, not much, just until all of the cucumber slices are coated. Add salt and you're done! It's a great side dish, tastes good, depending on your kids they might like it and adults normally do like it.

1 / 3