Help Seasonal Allergies in 1 1/2 Year Old

Hi, I am a stay at home mom of a 1 1/2 yr old and a 6 month old. Now that the weather has been nice, my 1 1/2 old daughter has allergies. I have yet to call the dr to find out what I can do. Her eyes are wattery and red, she has a runny nose ALL day long. She just seems really tired too. Is there anything you recommend giving to someone that young? Please anything would help. I do not like to see her like this. It dosn't help that my husband and I also have bad allergies. Thank you!

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions!! You all had many great ideas. I will definitely get her to an allergist soon. Right now, I talked with the Dr. and she told me to get her on Benadryl. I asked about the childrens Claratin and she said that it is only recommended for 2 yrs and up. Ehhh well. But I did give her two doses of the Benedryl and it helped out sooo much. She didn't seem extremely tired. So I will keep that up until I get an appt with the allergist. Again thank you all, you were such a great help!

My 24 month has seasonal allergies also. I gave her Benadryl last fall and now she takes Clartin for Children. Both her and her 8 month old sister take the Claritin and I give it to them at night. They are fine all day long.

I am on Zyrtec and will only switch her to it, if the Claritin stops working.

Hopefully you will find something that works for her, so she can continue to enjoy the outdoors.

My one year old has allegies too. I called our pediatrician and was advised to try children's claritin, 3 to 4 ml per day. You can use Benadryl instead but it depends on how your child reacts to it. We are on day two of Claritin and my son is doing much better. Good luck!

You will have to double check the label, but Children's 24-hour Claratin really works for my toddler.

My son is 16 mths and the doctor put him on Zyrtec. It really helps. It would be worth a trip to the doc to relieve her misery. She suggested giving it to him at night because it may cause drowsiness.

My son was diagnosied with seasonal allergies well before his 1st birthday. They won't do skin tests because they rarely come out correct. They put him on zyrtex, then singulair and nasonex because the zyrtex didn't seem to work. The sing/nas combination works great for my son. The eye drainage is greatly reduced and so has the runny nose. You can ask your pediatrician to recommend a pediatric allergist, I think it's crutial to get a pediatric one because they really know how to treat the children. Good luck!!

My niece, now 2 1/2, has been on Zyrtec since she was 15 months. No side effects but you can definitely tell if she misses her dosage.

I am also on Zyrtec (as is the mojority of my family), since there is no generic form at this time the cost may be higher than some precriptions (depends on insurance, mine only cost me $15 for 90 days) but it is definitely better than the over the counter costs of those meds!

Like the other mom responded, Zyrtec was prescribed to our daughter at about the same age. She has an allergy to cats and we use it when we visit family. I've never noticed any major reactions, maybe a bit sleepy, so we also give it to her at bedtime. The cost is a little high, even with insurance, but it beats Benedryl by a mile. Benedryl has been used in a pinch, but either has made her super dopey or super excited! Good luck!

M.-I am not sure what your little one can take but you were also saying that you and your husband have bad allergies as well. The company/store that I shop from makes an allergy med that is compared to Claritin but cheaper. They also have products that are safer for the environment and made from natural ingredients. I mention this because they tend to help those who suffer from allergies and asthma. You don't have to worry about any toxins in them. In fact, I just heard one of the ladies' stories about how she hasn't used her inhaler or meds since buying these products. If you'd like to learn more about how you can get this, just let me know. I"m more than happy to share the info.

1 / 3