Help! My 1 Year Old Won't Eat Veggies or Meat!

HI moms! I am need of help on what I should do (or think) about my 12 month old daughter's eating habits. I am concerned she is not getting a balanced diet. She basically won't eat any veggies or meats. I always offer them to her for lunch/dinner but all she does is play with them or throw them on the floor (which is starting to wear on me). I always offer them to her first and after the playing and then screaming I give her bread or yogurt or fruit so that she gets something to eat. She would eat fruit every meal if she could. She does drink all her milk (16 oz a day) and occasionally eats cheese so I know she is good on getting calcium. Is this just a phase or should I be concerned about this? Her Dr said she "should" be eating veggies and meats....sigh. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank ya'll!

My 11 month old would eat meat or veggies for about 2 seconds then she would start to play with them. After that i would either mix her veggies or fruit with her cereal or even fruit. It always does the trick and she can never tell the difference.

I doubt I have any advice for you, because my (almost) three yr. old daughter is the same way & always has been. She LOVES her milk & always eats her fruit. Sometimes eats her bread, rarely eats her meat, but never eats her veggies.

I just keep doing the same thing my doctor told me - serve her the same food you eat & if she doesn't eat it, she doesn't get anything to supplement it (like making a PB&J sandwich).

Sorry if this doesn't help - just wanted you to know mine does it too & she's pretty healthy (so says her dr.) and happy (so says me).

Very normal. Kids go through food phases. Continue to offer her a variety of food like you are doing; one day she will eat. She is exploring her taste buds right now. I remember my husband was so concerned with my first daughter b/c she never ate any meat; pretty much lived on green beans and fruit. I was so concerned about her iron intake. I gave her lots of cereal with iron in the morning and gave her vitamin with iron. However, I kept offering her the meat and one day she ate it. Hang in there and continue to offer her the meat and veggies; one day she will surprise you. Good luck!

Try blending some spinach in water, add a banana and ask her to taste the green banana.

Fruits and vegetables are one food group, so as long as she is eating lots of fruit, I don't see what the problem would be. My children hardly ever touch meat, except turket bacon, but there are lots of vegetarians out there who are very healthy, so as long as she is getting a protein substuitute it shouldn't matter if she eats meat. I would do my best to make meals a happy time instead of stressing about her diet so much. You want her to have a healthy attitude towards food and having a stuggle at every meal will not accomplish that. Both my children are super picky and we've done everything we can to have them be healthy eaters, but we can't force them to eat what they don't want. They are, also, very healthy children who enjoy mealtimes. Just keep offering her new foods and choices at meals and
put something on her plate you know she likes that is good for her and let her eat what she wants. Good luck!

I too have had this problem with my son since he was about 12 months (he is now 22 months). I used to get completely stressed about meal times until my doctor told me not to worry. He said eating is one of the few things can control. He suggested tha I continue to offer a balanced meal which I do. I've heard of several mothers "hiding" foods in other foods, i.e. hiding brocoli in turkey burger, veggies in a smoothie. etc. Unforunately it hasn't worked for us. You might also want to try beans as a source of protein (my son doesn't care for beans either, lol).

Do know that it is normal for toddlers to be picky eaters and your not the only one stressed/concerned about it. Good luck!

None of my kids (I have 3) would eat meat until they were about 2 1/2 or 3. They were also very similar to your daughter about veggies, and still don't really like cooked vegetables. They do now love raw veggies, so as soon as your little one can safely eat raw vegetables (especially with dip) you may find you have a vegetable eater after all. My youngest (almost 3) likes to sip tomato soup and V8 butternut squash soup out of a cup with a straw,and also likes Spaghettios and spaghetti, which both have a lot of Vitamin A from the tomatoes in the spaghetti sauce. If she likes spaghetti, you could try shredding some zucchini or carrot into the sauce or adding additional vegetables to the sauce and blending. This works well for pizza sauce too. Good luck and don't worry. It's just a phase.

Don't give her other foods if she doesn't eat what you offer. Since the day my kids started solid foods I give then only what I've planned for that meal and don't offer them options. Now both will eat just about anything. (the are 2) No matter how young kids will not starve themselves, they will learn to eat what you give them if nothing else if offered. Some times this harder than others but worth it in the long run.

1 / 3