Help Me Keep This LICE Away

I am going crazy with these bugs. I have found them in my daughters hair 3 times now since Mid-July.

First time.....
- Used Rid treatment
- mayo treatment 2 nights in a row(kept it on over night)
- Rid treatment 7 days later
- Follow up at dr office
He checked her and said that she absolutely did not have it anymore, and I over killed, which ended up drying out her scalp, and she itched worse than she did with the lice.

2nd time....
-Rid treatment
- Mayo treatment (over night again)
- Rid treatment 7 days later

She was itching again last night, so I went ahead and did a thorough check...and, found one. I got it out and put it in a baggie. It was late at night, so I went up to a 24hr Walgreens and asked the pharmacist. He said he didnt have much experience with lice, but that was what he would guess it was. Not convinced, and passing a hospital on the way home, I stopped in the ER. That guy said it definitely was not lice, didn't look like a flea, too small for a bed bug, and thought it might be some type of mite. He reassured me that he was positive that it was not lice. Well, my sister who has seen it frequently came over today and said that it WAS lice, so now I am irritated again. I realize that she can get it anywhere, but how can I take her out of the house again without her not getting it, it is ridiculous...she is only 3!!

Since she got it the first time, I have been washing her hair with coconut shampoo (no conditioner), blow drying it, and using hair spray when we go anywhere. Those were the tricks that I had heard of, but is there anything anyone else has been successful with. I hate that I have to keep putting these harsh chemicals on her beautiful hair. And, then to find out that she may be resistant to the Rid treatments anyway.

She is going back to the dr tomorrow, and I am going to try to find a way to keep this away FOR GOOD!, and to make sure that it really is lice, but I thought I would check here for some advice too.

Sorry about such a long post, but thank you for taking the time to help me out, I never expected this at 3!

I greatly appreciate the many, many responses that I have gotten so far. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Of course I did all of the household cleaning, packing up animals, washing sheets, spraying the lice spray on everything, vaccumming everything, endless hours of "nit-picking". I neglected to mention that only because I was looking for something more of a preventative measure. I know what to do once they come, but what can I do to stop them before they get in her hair??

Put vinegar in the cream rinse.
continue to brush with fine tooth comb
bag stuffed animals
Best wishes been there done that

Once you get rid of them in her hair, keep hair spray on her hair for some reason it acts like a deterrent. Good luck!

http://blog.cleveland.com/health/2008/02/chris_stephensth...

He also goes to the home. My friend's 4 daughters including her had it and couldn't get rid of it. He went to their house and took care of the problem. Everything he uses is non-toxic. His number is at the bottom of the page in the user comments section. Good luck!!

Boy you have your hands full. You need to wash all her bed clothing any toys she sleps with in very hot water, sun dry or a very Hot dryer. I would also treat couch cushions and other furniture that is of any kind of cloth with a liquid or powder multi bug killer. I had what we thought was fleas, but it wasn't then we thought lice but it wasn't .I was the only one being bitten and was miserable. I was only bit at night and sure enough it was bed bugs but you couldn't really see them they only came out at night to feed off of my blood.Do It Best Lawn and Garden Insect control concentrate finally got rid of it pernamentally.But that you can not put on your child but you can spray as directed on funiture and carpets to stop reinfestation.My home has been free of it for 2 years now. Found out later my boy friends buddy had them in his home and they traveled here on his clothing. I itched so badly I thought I was going to go crazy.BE SURE TO FOLLOW ALL INSTRUCTIONS ON THE BOTTLE.

Bless your heart. My daughter only had lice one time, but getting rid of it almost gave me a nervous breakdown. You definitely want to be careful with using Rid, it is extremely toxic and you don't want to overuse it. Walgreens has a Lice be Gone treatment that I used, (after the initial round of Rid) but I think it was finally the mayo treatment that got rid of them. Tea tree oil will help keep them away, you can either add it to your current shampoo, or there are shampoos out there that have it in there. I use Arbonne's, and I am happy to give you a sample if you wan to give it a try. Also, lice LOVE clean hair, so skip a few washings and see i that helps. Good luck dear, take a deep breath and try not to lose your mind. I feel for you!

K.,
Best of luck to you in your fight against these little critters. I use california baby tree tea oil shampoo on my daugthers hair for every bath...you can find some at Target. I need the tear free so i buy mine from drugstore.com. The bugs do not like the smell and it helps prevent from getting lice. My daughters school has had an out break every year and (knock on wood) she has not had it once. I also add mouse to her hair when they do have it active in the classes as an extra saftey measure. they liek clean hair and the mouse makes it hard for the nits to attach to the shafts of the hair...good luck!

K., go to www.headlice.org. It's the national headlice association, and their website is great. Explains how lice are drug resistant now, why Rid and the other heavy chemicals are bad and actually dangerous, why those manic house cleaning frenzies and bagging everything up are not necessary, etc. The most important thing is to get a good lice comb and comb through religiously and super carefully. You can't miss a single nit. I've had luck in the past combining the comb with a product called Lice-B-Gone which I got online...it supposedly loosened the "glue" that holds the nit onto the hair shaft. But the most important step is the combing and nit removal. Once you're pretty sure you have them all, wait a few days and comb through again, then repeat again a few more days. Hang in there!

I am a noon monitor at our public school. A third grade girl told me she had lice over the summer and they found that Listerine worked the best. She said buy RID, use the comb and throw out the product because it really dried up and gave sores on her scalp.

I know there is an east side place that specializes in treating lice and following up with the lice to make sure they are all gone but I don't remember their name. You could probably google them.

I typically don't promote products, but since having a run in back in the spring with lice after my daughter stayed the night w/ my sister.... I talked to my stylist about what she would recommend. (My sisters stepdaughter came home with lice every single time she visited her bio-mom, which was typically once a week!!) She recommended trying Fairy Tales hair care products. She had used them on her own daughter & was so impressed with them she started selling them in her salon. They have a whole line of all Natural, Organic preventative products from shampoos, leave in conditioners to gels and even the removal products too! I bought the shampoo & leave in conditioner that day, seeing as I had already struggled with the de-licing the night before.... and started using them immediately. I actually used the leave in conditioner to get the last few nits out of her hair. They recommend using a couple of the products in combination to get the maximum benefits. Since my childen are not in daycare or school... I typically only use the shampoo a couple times a week and then use the leave-in conditioner in between. I also use the leave in conditioner to spray down hats, jackets, carseats, etc on occassion. I also had my sister use the products & she hasn't had problems with her SD coming home with lice since she began using it!!!!
Anyways, a lot of salons are starting to carry the Fairy Tales products. They are kinda pricey, but well worth it in my opinion. They also have a website www.fairytaleshaircare.com If you go to their site you can sign up for their emails & they will occasionaly email you coupons to use when you order from their site as well.

You talk about everything you are doing to remove them from her hair but what are you doing about her bedding and your home? You need to make sure there are no nits there as well. It's a pain, I know but it is true.

My daughter had got this several times from her cousin and it was a nightmare! Her pediatrician actually prescribed a shampoo for her after all the over the counter treatments did not work, the over the counter stuff only kills the live lice NOT the eggs. This shampoo actually kills the eggs. I had to bag up all stuffed animals, treat all bedding, furniture, carpet, and carseat. It truly was a nightmare I wouldn't wish on anyone. Once we got the shampoo though it went away for good. Keep the left over shampoo though just in case. I can't remember what it was but it was a prescription shampoo, my daughter is eight and she was four when she had this. Good Luck!!

1 / 3