Green Stools? What Do I Do...

My 4 year old son has had nothing but soft green stools the past few weeks. He hasn't had a normal brown stool in a really long time. He says his tummy hurts in the a.m. every now and then but I usually give him some breakfast and he seems to do better so I chalk it up to being hungry, but now I'm wondering if he may be having problems. We eat healthy( I have a gluten free, lactose free diet). We eat a good variety of everything and NO fried foods or fast food. I would have it checked out but we do not have good health coverage and we would need to pay up front...we don't have that kind of money. What is your input? Is this something serious?

WOW! Thank you so much for all your help. He does eat yogurt with blueberries and blackberries almost every a.m., so I'm going to chalk it up to that. Since I sent this request, I've had him stop the yogurt and berries for a bit to evaluate a change in stools. Thanks so much!!

L.- does he eat fruit snacks? My kids always have green poop when they eat fruit roll ups, fruit chews, fruit snacks. I don;t allow them any more and I can always tell when they got on eform the neighbor because...loe and behold there is green poop in the potty.

My daughter has the same thing. Green poop is especially smelly too!!! Her pediatrician said that it's just the rate at which her body was processing the food. The food doesn't mix with the bile for long, and the bile is what gives it the brown color. She suggested that I feed her foods that take longer to digest. Rice works very well with my daughter (not the minute rice, use the one that takes 20 minutes), and good fiber foods. Good luck!

This is nothing to worry about at all. It is normal for kids to have green poop sometimes. It is just the body cleaning itself out. Sometimes it will only last a few days other times a week or two but there is nothing wrong. My kids still have that sometimes and they are a little older and the doctor said it is just the body flushing out. Don't worry any he will be fine.

I am 31 and have been married for almost 12 yrs. My husband and I have 3 boys ages 10,7, and 4.

I wouldn't worry. I bet it's just something he's eating, dark veggies and fruit make strange color stool. This summer we've gotten some unusual things from a farmers market - purple potatoes, black rasperries, etc and my kids poop is greenish blue sometimes...and we eat tons of blueberries!
You don't sound like the type of person to feed your kids JUNK like purple popsicles, koolaid, and other colored foods! And good for you for that!! Your kids are probably very healthy.

green stools is usually just caused from a food that was ate not something serious but if you are concerned there are nurse lines you can call for advice for free!!! like vna(visiting nurse association) vpa(visiting physicians association) 1-800-homevisit or even metrohealth nurseline (24hours) ###-###-####

We have only had green stool for two reasons...Virus and Food Dye. Popsicles, powerade, etc. will cause green stool. Hope this helps!

Hi L., Has he had purple popsicles or flavored drinks? They can turn the stool green. Good Luck N. L.

Yes - check his food first. I know that the kids yougurt makes my son have some crazy colored stool. So does things like seaweed.

My son eats very health also and most hte time his stools are more of a green color than a brown color. His also changes with what he eats (blue icing is known to change his poop blue on his birthday, etc.) He's 5, and his doctor said as long as there are no other changes, he continues to gain weight and grow then he's fine.

I try not to give too much Kool-Aid, and from your request, I gather that you don't either. But, if my kids do get some, they get the green stools. It might just be something they are eating. Check that out first.

1 / 3