Good TV Shows for Kids

Hi all. My 5 year old son has been asking me constantly to watch tv/movies, but I'm worried about letting him watch too much or him seeing shows that have bad language/content. I have cable, so pretty much all the kid channels. Any of you moms have shows that your kids enjoy that are at least somewhat educational or don't use bad themes/language? Any suggestions about how much TV to allow per day? Thanks!

Thanks all! My husband and I ordered a DCT for the living room television to try out these channels you've mentioned. Thanks all for the advice! :)

My daughter's teacher recommends MPTV. I think it is channel 11 or 36. They have a lot of educational shows on. At my house, my daughter watches a lot of older shows like Full House, Disney movies or Disney channel.

Good luck!!

My kids have on the nick channel in the mornings. That has Dora, Diego and many others that have either an educational theme or a moral theme. Taht and now my kids can now speak some spanish. Hope that helped a little.

Mother of three. 6,4 and 18 months.

I have always liked to limit it to an hour per day solo, more if we're all watching a show together. PBS has good programming. Our favorites are the Backyardigans, Zaboomafoo. Nick's cartoons are entertaining, but your son could come up with a LOT of phrases from cartoons like Grimm & Mandie (actually banned in our house), Ed Edd & Eddie, Spongebob. When my kids were little, we watched a lot of Veggie Tales.

Go to the website: www.family.org

In the left hand column they have a "parent" link and a "children's" link.

If you go to plugged in they have really good reviews for movies.. even the kid movies. It will tell you how much swearing, the bad themes and good themes, etc. etc.

It is a Christian site, they are really good about telling you exactly what you can expect.

I can't remember if they have one for tv shows, but they do have articles about finding good tv shows to watch.

It's a great site!

Also pretty much all tvs come with a V-Chip.. you just have to program it. You can set it to only view shows with a certain parental rating.. you can still use the code to unlock it if you want to watch something with a higher rating.

Disney channel is clean, if a bit fluffy.
A FEW Cartoon Network shows are clean-minded and have decent points, but too much drains kid's brains.
One hour a day is enough, if not plenty!
One hour of tv, computer or video games that is!

My source is Connie Spartz formerly of Willmar Schools-her presentations on Brain-based Learning were informative and enlightening!

Good luck!!

My girls really like the SPROUT channel. It has shows like Thomas the Tank Engine, Bob the Builder, Pingu and Kipper. They especially like the Goodnight Show.

I let my son watch Noggin....You have to have digital cable to get that station (for us it is channel 152). They have wonderful educatonal shows for yound children all day until 5:oo, then the format changes over to shows geared towards older children. I love this channel because of the shows and they don't air commercials (in between shows they have little snippets of educational shorts).

We watch Noggin. It's geared towards a younger crowd with no commercials. The inbetween show times are promiting noggin shows or they have their hosts Moose and Zee. They are clever and it seems like kids could actually learn by watching the stuff inbetween the shows. I find that nickelodean has some pretty advanced commersials geared towards a parent or teenager. I prefer Noggin. They have cute shows like Max and Ruby, Dora, Diago, Oobi, Jacks Music Show, Play with me Sesame. You can check out their website at http://www.noggin.com/ They even have games online for your little learner. As far as how much, I let mine watch an hour at a time at the most, so 2 shows worth. The shows on Noggin are only 20 minutes long plus other little tidbits inbetween shows. We usually don't watch more than 2 hours a day on the weekends. Sometimes, I split them up and do 4-1/2 hour times. It's usually half that amount on the weekdays. Amount is up to you. I'm sure some people will think that I allow too much. It's finding a happy medium that works for you and your family that counts. I know that around dinner time, my almost 3 year old really needs down time and likes to watch a show to relax, which works great for me because it gives me time to get supper on the table. I can also see a huge difference in her additude after she's had a chance to wind down after School and playing all day. Keep in mind, if he's sitting around all day, he's not going to be using up energy that he needs to, in order to sleep well at night. Which could mean more work for you later along with a fight at bedtime. It's a fine line. Experiment away and have fun.

My son loves PBS (channel 2) and it's not even on cable. They have great shows like Sesame Street, Arthur, Barenstein Bears, Clifford, Big Big World. Also CBS does Nick Jr on Saturday mornings and shows like Backyardigans, Dora the Explorer, Go Diego Go. I don't let my child watch too much TV but those are the only channels I let him watch. HTH

1 / 3