Good Size for a Kindergartener's Backpack?

I would like to buy a new backpack for my little guy who's beginning kindergarten in the fall. What size would you recommend?

(I'm looking at Pottery Barn's backpacks - small backpack is 11 x 5.5 x 14", large backpack is 12.5 x 7.5 x 17")

Thank you for all of your insightful comments! I went ahead with the larger Pottery Barn backpack.

I think it's a good plan!

Hi A., my name is J., I have a almost 4year old and almost 7 year old. I just ordered their backpacks from LLBean, I read great reviews on it and have a friend whos daughters has had their packs for 3 years and it still looks brand new. LLBean also have a smallpack specially made for 4 year old children and up. The website is LLbean and then go to luggage and click on book packs. It is worth it.

My daughter used a small backpack that I bought at Kmart (held up great!) for Kindergarten and first grade. It is just big enough to hold a folder and regular paper. Large projects we just carry home. I have loved that she doesn't have to haul a huge bubble of a pack around and it fits much easier in her shared locker. Go small. After all most kindergarten parents pick up their kids and if its too big to fit you can help out.

Any average sized backpack is what he needs, nothing to small because they bring home big library books and regular sized folders, etc.

With 3 kids and my youngest having just finished Kindergarten this last year - get a regular sized backpack! They do have all kinds of artwork, and they are sad when it doesn't make it home well - you have a better chance with a regular-sized backpack. I have purchased backpacks at Target, Wal-mart, but really love the ones we've gotten at Children's Place, especially when they're on sale!! The straps are padded and they have a buckle that comes across the front for even more support. And they've lasted for more than one school year, which is more than I can say for the Tinkerbell one! Have fun with it!

Smallest one you can find. My son used a small lightning mcqueen backpack we found at Target for about $10. They really should not need a big one in kinder garden, might have to upgrade as he progresses through school.

I also agree that backpacks are too heavy for these kids, especially in grade school. My niece had to get one of those pull dollies for her backpack because she was having back issues as well. Books are too heavy for a 7yr old! Thats ridiculous.

A. - As a Kindergarten teacher I am going to tell you to please get your child the bigger of the two backpacks (the regular size that most school children use). If your daughter is on the small size get one with wheels so it's easier for her to transport. Also make sure she can put her backpack on and take it off independently.

The best size to get is folder size
at our school the teachers send home a regular size folder
plus on some days he will need to stuff his coat in during those wonerful day of unprdictable weather. And one other thing make sure you put his mane on everything so that when he loses it it can be returned. My daughter lost her brand new winter coat but it got returned because i put the phone # as well.

My son used a smaller size backpack for kindergarten and first grade and it worked fine. It was just the right size for his homework folder and we never had problems with things fitting. He even stuffed his coat in a few times. I bought it at The Children's Place. I think the regular size backpacks are too big for most kindergarteners and the bigger the backpack, the more stuff they tend to want to carry in it.

I can't help with dimensions for a backpack, however, you may want to make sure that the one you buy will hold a full size folder or papers. Otherwise all of your papers will get munched going into the backpack. I also wouldn't get one that has wheels and a handle for them to pull. Those types add a lot of extra weight and pulling them is kind of a hassle for them and they get in the way.

1 / 3