Good Educational Video Game System for Toddlers

Hello Mommies!

My husband and I wish to purchase my 16 month old one of those educational video games that integrates with your T.V. I am looking for opinions on the different brands and such. What is your input? Do you have one you recommend? Any bad experiences?

Thanks!!

Starfall.com is a free online site. It teaches children ABCs and reading in a highly interactive way. My kids have all LOVED it even from very young ages. There are various games and activities. I would recommend looking at online learning games that are free before investing in expensive gaming systems.

I would suggest reading the book Buy Buy Baby. After reading that I put away the baby videos and swore off those "educational" video games.

I wouldn't recommend ANY video games for toddlers. They are in a critical stage of brain development that requires the constant movement they naturally do. Exploration of their environment (within safety parameters) probably means they make a big mess, but they are learning very important things.

I'm sure others will disagree, but your little one's neurological development will not benefit from a video game system at this young age. I treat older children who are now struggling because of time spent in front of a television and computer.

Please don't fall victim to the marketing schemes.

My good friend did what you're talking about and laughed at me for refusing to buy anything video related for my child the same age. Both our daughters are now 9. I know I made the right decision. Her daughter has a game boy, all the video stuff (xbox, etc) and it becomes a huge battle when she enforces time limits. Don't fall for "educational" touts, remember these people are in it to make money and wouldn't tell you if they thought it was bad for your child. My sister who has grown children told me if there was one thing she could do over with her children it would be not to allow video games in the house until her son was much older. She had a hard time when he was in high school and college to focus on his studies instead of video games. Please do further research before you go that route. Overstimulation is another thing to consider with a child this young.

My daughter, just this year, has a couple of games she plays on the computer (Pet-vet) where she takes care of animals. Other than that she doesn't have the rest of the stuff. She reads, draws, paints and plays outside. My son who is 5 is the same.

Blessings to you and yours and congratulations on your second gift from God.

Hey M.

I agree with those who recommend staying away from video games, computers and even TV with your babies. I know you want to keep him busy, especially when the new baby arrives, but I don't think this is a helpful route in the long run.

Best wishes to you!

Start them out with games and they won't get off. Imagine him at 12 then 16 then 22 and all he wants to do is games, but now they are not educational! I recently heard a radio broadcast on NPR of studies done on the smartest people, what their early years were like - they were read to and had lots and lots and lots of books. A boys eyes are not fully developed for reading small print until age 7 - but they do need lots of exercise. Read to him and have him memorize Bible verses, poems, ...things important and provide lots of books.
Yes I do speak from experience, but it was not I who gave him the computer; men do like their toys. If you do go the computer route, ENFORCE TIME LIMITS because what you teach him now will be a factor in years to come.

At this age, he's a little young. Let him play with a calculator, or some other electronic game that is just a stand-alone (like speak-n-spell or something like that but for toddlers). I say save your money for a cool game system till he's older and can really appreciate it.

My parents got one for my toddler. I she was 12-15 months at the time. She was not really interested in it. We brought it out again recently. She is now 22 months; she punched the buttons for a second and that was it! It is an Infant Development System, Vrtech (sp?). It has Baby Einstein interactive games. Anyway, she prefers the old school way of learning... interacting with Mommy! Go figure. I know every child is differents; so yours may enjoy it a bit more.

1 / 3