Glenn Doman "How to Teach Your Baby Math"

Has anyone read and used this program???

I'm a new mom and I got this book I found on Amazon, it came highly recommended. I also got the reading one but haven't really got into that one yet. It all seems to make sense and seems like a good program. I started my little boy on the dot cards at like 2months old with the "0" level then on. He's now 4months old and I still do it with him. He really seems to like the quantity cards but doesn't seem to respond to the addition or subtraction.

My question is, has anyone done this program before? Does it work? How well? Do you think He's a bit young for some of it? Should I hold off a bit? I know the book has been around for a while and the concept seems great.

Thanks

I have to defend myself on this one. I got so many responses from concerned moms thinking I'm running some Nazi learning camp for my son. First of all, the dot program that I was talking about only takes from 5 to 10 seconds at a time. They want you doing it like 6x a day but I only do it a couple. My baby seems to love it, he smiles and giggles when I do them. The program teaches quantities and math like a language, and babies are geniuses at learning languages. I don't think for a second that it could possibly do any harm and definitely will do some good. Babies love to learn, it's part of their survival instincts, they need and want to learn. I am not depriving him of anything else only trying to provide him with opportunities. No matter if he remembers any of the specifics of what he's taught, it will most definitely stimulate, strengthen, and create neural pathways in the brain making it easier for him to learn and understand math and numbers later on. I am not and will not push my child to exceed, I only want to make it as easy for him as I can in the long run.

Thanks for your advice and concern, but I was really hoping to hear from someone who had used the program...

Hey F....I'm with ya! Babies are a lot smarter than many people give credit. I have not heard of this program, but wouldn't mind you forwarding the information. My daughter is now 2. I started singer her ABC's to her at about 2 weeks old. It started as a joke because my cousin's PED told her thier 2 Y/O should know 200 words by the time he was 2. I said, well we better get started. If she knows her ABC's, all we have to do from there is put them together. At the same time, my husband layed her across his chest and read a story to her. She studied his mouth as he read to her and she mimicked the sound of wind blowing, "whoooo whooo". She actually liked and responded to the stimulation. I feel any stimulation is good.

I have used flash cards since she was about 7 months old. At 2 she responds to every picture and when she sees the real thing she knows what they are. One day, she looked out the car window and pointed and said car. When the cooler weather came on, I pulled a jacket out of the closet for her and she said jacket. I think this is all from the flash cards we have done.

She started preschool at about 22 months old. The teacher told me she was very smart. I only work with her on her terms. If she is bored and wants to run off, then off she goes.

It definately won't hurt. People will laugh, but if you feel it is good for your baby, keep doing it.

Best wishes.

I'm sorry you got some negative responses, I don't believe in anyway that you are a teaching nazi or anything of the sort. Infact, I think I will look into getting that program for my 14mo old!

We have been using "Your Baby Can Read" since Hope was 4mo. It's incredible! She's been doing the motions to songs like itsy bitsy spider since she was 9mo. I also sing her the alphabet song while signing and now when ever the video plays Old MacDondald, when it shows the letters e-i-e-i-o, she tries to make them with her hands too! I guess I should make some word flash cards to see how much she really knows, I've just slacked on doing that part. But she sees words and says them before the picture ever comes on the screen, so I'd have to say she's doing good.

Since I haven't tried the math program, the only thing that I can tell you is that you should give it some more time and don't give up! I've only recently noticed the word recognition that Hope knows and she's been watching the videos almost everyday since she was 4 months. Just remember that you are giving your boy a head start and an early interest in education and there is nothing wrong with that!

Good for you! I say go for it! I am a Doman baby and so are my boys. Reading is a breeze for our 4 year old in K-5. Math was a breeze for me in school. I never had to "learn" it. It just happened. Definitely keep with it! You'll never regret it. I know lots of other moms who have done it and been grateful. We've all taken lots of guff, too. My thought is that the differences aren't seen until pre-algebra. I never struggled at all with math. Maybe it was natural ability, but what if it wasn't? It didn't hurt me to have the info ahead! My mom did bit cards with me with lots of subjects. At 8 mos. she woudl give me a sentence that said "K. kissing Mommy" and I would do it as well as any another sentence. At 2 I told her a Carmengia was a Volkswagon. We have never talked cars. I "read" the logo. I love to read to this day and its very easy. I'd love to talk if you need more encouragement. Don't pay attention to the naysayers. They haven't read the books and don't know. Have fun with it!

I am sorry, but I did giggle when I read this. A infant really should be focusing on shapes, colors (which they are just now seeing) and getting lot's of love from their parents. Trying to give your child a great start is wonderful, however, I think it is pushing the envelope trying to do math with your baby. These people that publish this stuff crack me up, seriously. A child at your baby's age has the retention level of about twenty minutes, meaning you are spinning your wheels. Comforting sounds, just soothing and talking to your baby and movement is what your baby needs at this age. Read to your baby a fun happy book that will give your baby a better start then anything else, just listening to your voice. Remember that Baby Einstein, well that was proved to be a farce. Becareful what people are willing to say works and market.

I had my daughter in day care from 2months old till she was 4. Her day care provider would have the kids do flash cards of shapes colors numbers 1-10 & everyday things (cats dogs etc.) As the children got older she would work on other things with them more to there age. At that young I don't think that math is something your child will understand maybe shape colors the alphabet. My daughter is now in kindergarten & has a nice head start. She can count to 200 right her name knows her alphabet colors & shapes. Plus she can read some. She had enough of a head start but not so advanced school bores her. Remember you don't want your kid hating learning before school even starts.

I have been looking for something like this for my 14mnth old. I myself am a Music Teacher and I have been teaching children as early as 4 years old to read Spanish and English and my son currently understands 3 languages and can read approx. 55 english words...and he LOVES to read. He often brings me books and flash cards when he wants to read. I think that when they enjoy learning you should stimulate them as much as possible until they lose interest. He currently knows 1 2 3 4 5 in French but I am looking for a program that can show me a better way to teach him Math. I will try this one and report back. Does anyone know of anything else out there? By the way my son has been using the Your Baby Can Read Program since he was 5 months old and we also got the Bilingual Bonus in Spanish.

Trust me, kids just need time to be kids...especially with the way education is going these days. He will have plenty of time to work on academic skills. That doesn't mean that as he gets older you shouldn't work on things like that if you choose to. All I am saying is that a 4 month old does not need to be exposed to math flash cards. YIKES! All a 4 month old needs is to be held, loved, talked to, played with, sung to, read to, and exposed to age appropriate toys. As a teacher with an Early Childhood degree (ages birth-8 years) flash cards are certainly not age appropriate and won't be for a long time. Even then, every kid will not respond to flash cards. Don't even worry about "academic" type stuff. As long as he is developing appropriately and you spend time with him doing the "normal" things, he'll be just fine.

I know every child is different and maybe this could work for your family. However, as an early childhood educator, I don't think this is developmentally appropriate. It seemed like in my classroom the kids who's parents started off the year telling me their "gifted" 3 1/2 year old was ready to "read" were the kids who were throwing blocks at the other kids, didn't know basics like shapes and colors and couldn't put a simple puzzle together. There are already so many SUPER IMPORTANT learning tasks that all 0-4 year olds must learn that already take so much time and energy from learning how to sit, walk, talk, properly hold a pencil, share with friends, pretend play, learn an entire language, learn to use the toilet, learn to feed themselves, build foundations for math and science(learning volume through water play, learning cause and effect by observing those around them, etc.) Those four years are ALREADY packed with more learning than I experienced in my four years of college! Each child has the same amount of time and energy as any other kid so time we spend adding to that just takes away from something else. It's just not possible to cram more into those four years without loosing something along the way.

1 / 3