Getting Tubes Tied After Vaginal Birth

I'm 31 and pregnant with my 3rd child. Since the beginning of this pregnancy (which was planned) my husband has been saying he wants to get a vasectomy, which is fine with me because I'm pretty sure I don't want more children. Well, a month or so ago my MIL mentioned that I can get my tubes tied right after giving birth while I'm still in the hospital. I've had two normal vaginal births and hopefully will have a 3rd vaginal birth. I really don't want my tubes tied. I'm just remembering how tired and stressed I was after giving birth and don't want to deal with having surgery on top of it. I don't plan on having an epidural, but having tubal ligation would require anesthesia and pain meds afterwards, my feeling is why would I want that while caring for and breastfeeding a newborn if I don't have to? I could understand if I was having a C-section and then would be having surgery and pain meds after anyway.

To be fair I started considering it and researching it more on the internet but I'm curious what other peoples experiences have been with tubal ligation right after childbirth. It just seems that a vasectomy would be easier. I'm not pushing him to get it done and would be ok with something less permanent for another 5 years or so, but he's been very adamant that we have to do something permanent. I had an IUD before with no issues, and after being with him for 12 years we've never had an unplanned pregnancy, so I'm not sure why he's sorta freaking out (I guess the thought of 4 kids puts him over the edge lol).

Thanks everyone for the support, its nice to know I'm not alone in my feelings. I have to go with my gut and put this decision off for a later date. I guess I was looking for more ammunition in my argument against getting my tubes tied, but I think my reasons are enough, primarily I just don't want it done right now and I'm not ready. My husband will have to accept that. If he insists on a vasectomy then we will discuss it more. Somehow I think he won't do it right away either. We are both in our early 30's and you just never know.

The least men can do is get clipped. We carry their children for 9 months, and then we nurse them, and wake, night after night, to nurse some more. The least men can do is get clipped. Seriously. I'd hit my hubby on the head if he said it would be easier for me to have a tubal ligation!

I had this same discussion with my ob during my 4th and last pregnancy. He told me "Sure I can do it, but in all honesty it's faster to have my husband get a vasectomy. Plus the $$ price is less, healing is less complicated. Sometimes women can have future complications from a tubal. He said sure I can do it I make $$ money from it. But if it were me and my wife. I would do it before putting her through it."
I went home and told my DH this, and that was the last of that conversation. While still pregnant he went in had it done, and went fishing two days later. He will even say it was no biggie

"My husband has brought it up a few times now saying it would be easier than him getting a vasectomy."

I don't know what he's smoking or drinking, but he's nuts (no pun intended) if he thinks that it'd be easier. Easier for HIM, maybe! A tubal ligation is FAR more invasive with a much higher rate of complecations than a vasectomy.

Encourage him to get that vasectomy done now so by the time baby's born, you've recuperated, and you're ready for nookie, he's only shooting blanks.

My first thought was MIL needs to mind her own business. What you and your hubby think or decide about your reproductive organs is your business not hers even though he is her son.

With that said, it would certainly be much easier and cost effective for your husband to get a vasectomy instead of you getting your tubes tied.

I hope this helps.

Your MIL needs to mind her own business.

A tubal ligation is only easier immediately after childbirth if you have a c-section. Otherwise, wait until you have completely recovered from labor, sleep deprivation, breastfeeding struggles, etc. I vote for your husband having a vasectomy instead.

Your husband said it would be easier than him getting a vasectomy? HA!

You've done your part -- you've carried and birthed his children -- now it's his turn. Don't let your MIL (or your husband) bully you into this. The vasectomy is the much simpler surgery. If he's "adamant" about it, tell him to have at it. The nerve.

You carry and birth and breast feed three kids, and the hubster doesn't want to get a vasectomy? It's so much less invasive that I think it's pretty selfish of your husband not to consider that. I would go with a vasectomy or an IUD.

Not sure I would do it right after the birth. Much easier for for hubby to have vasectomy. You do not sound like you want to do it, so don't.

1 / 3